• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Manifold & sports cat

Hopefully looking to get a manifold and sports cat at end of month but the only manifold/sports cat i can find is piper. Do all the other manifolds like dc sports, toda etc decat the car? as basically i dont want any hassel at mot time hence the sports cat

Toda and DC etc are race headers, which remove the cat.

If you want real power then you must get one of these. A "shorty" header with sports cat will be expensive, and wont provide much gain.

Toda and DC etc are race headers, which remove the cat.

If you want real power then you must get one of these. A "shorty" header with sports cat will be expensive, and wont provide much gain.

trouble is i dont fancy paying to have manifolds swapped every year just to pass a mot, i know performance wise there better but not practical imo. Thanks for the info though looks like itll have to be a piper then

think feels and mugen both have a cat built into the header not cheap *** and not seen a feels one for sale over hear but prob able to source them through somebody i'd think. 200bhp cars can do that i'm sure. last feb he quoted 1700 for a mugen header new from japland. did't get it got wheels instead lol

trouble is i dont fancy paying to have manifolds swapped every year just to pass a mot, i know performance wise there better but not practical imo. Thanks for the info though looks like itll have to be a piper then

Get the Spoon 4-2-2-1 system, only the second half of the manifold needs to be changed, easy job. There's a 2-1 part for sale on here.

Just keep the standard header and CAT on then.

So your saying its best to keep the standard manifold and cat then rather than go for a piper manifold/sports cat :confused: just because im not prepared to run a manifold that wouldnt pass a mot so therefore wouldnt be road legal?

just been on the other forum and found a member has a full piper system, manifold and sports cat, kpro and aem and has been dynoed at 233bhp at tdi?

So guessing it is worth swapping standard for piper? im just getting the parts together to get them fitted + k100

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to do it, do it properly.

Get the best race header you can afford and get it mapped, that is the only way to get the best out of the K20.

By getting a race header without the CAT you will get the biggest rise in torque, which, is what is really needed on a K20.

Find someone you know that works in a garage and quiz them about swapping over your manifold come MOT time, odds on they will be able to help you out in some way.

I had a TODA race header on my EP3 and it pwned all.

I got 201bhp at the wheels and at the fly it was 240bhp and just a snip over 180ft/lb torque at 6.5krpm.

If you get a eBay mani, and butcher it, you will spend more time in the garage sorting it out than you ever will swapping over a TODA come MOT time.

I'm going for the piper option next month - seen enough RR print outs to know the design works.

The argument about these things all boils down to £/bhp

If an item costs £1000 and yields 20bhp atw - £50/bhp
If an item costs £500 and yields 15bhp atw - £33/bhp

For me Its all about being cost effective.
And lets face it who wants to be swapping manifolds every year, thats way too much effort!

I'm going for the piper option next month - seen enough RR print outs to know the design works.

The argument about these things all boils down to £/bhp

If an item costs £1000 and yields 20bhp atw - £50/bhp
If an item costs £500 and yields 15bhp atw - £33/bhp

For me Its all about being cost effective.
And lets face it who wants to be swapping manifolds every year, thats way too much effort!

Think about quality too though.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Dont always look at the top figure either, thats not necessarily what you're aiming for.

You need to look at mid range improvement and drivability.

The expensive stuff is expensive for a reason, its the best.

Think about quality too though.

Buy cheap buy twice.

I agree with this statement. There becomes a point when an item becomes so cheap it has sacrificed materials and workmanship, thus making false economy.

My final thought on the matter through what I have found with my own experience, just because its the most expensive do not assume its the best. This can apply to anything really.

I would hardly call £600+ for the manifold/sports cat cheap maybe the £200 ebay stuff but £600 is a fair chunk of cash, + it saves paying every year for manifold swaps which will not be cheap

I would hardly call £600+ for the manifold/sports cat cheap maybe the £200 ebay stuff but £600 is a fair chunk of cash, + it saves paying every year for manifold swaps which will not be cheap

This is what you want to be aiming for, this is probably the best race header for the K20, getting lots of power and torque.

http://www.tougedistribution.com/item--Toda-Racing-4-2-1-Exhaust-Manifold--18100-DC5-00J/

However, if you have to have a CAT Mugen do a set..........lol.

http://www.tougedistribution.com/item--Mugen-4-2-1-Manifold--18100-XK5-K0S0/

So looking at your items, yes they are cheap. But thats not to say their not any good I just wouldn't put them on my car.

What im saying is keep your eye on the second hand parts sections, as for that amount of cash you will get a much better proven header.

You can also consider the Supersprint system ;

http://www.supersprint.com/USP00honciv38.asp

The race header can be fitted with the sport cat, or straight through pipe for MOT time, without having to remove the manifold.

The sport cat passed the UK MOT on mine. My DCRH was a pain the the a*se to remove every MOT time. Bought mine 2nd hand, and no problems so far.

I had to fit a catted header in order for my CTR to pass inspection when I shipped it to Oz ($8,000 fine for running without cat :eek:)

I had a TODA race header on my EP3 and it pwned all.

I got 201bhp at the wheels and at the fly it was 240bhp and just a snip over 180ft/lb torque at 6.5krpm.

Question mate, could you please justify why spending 3x as much over a DC sports header?
Any ideas how much bhp your car would produce with the dc sports header? I know it's hard to tell, but any rough guess maybe?

Back