• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Manifold to downpipe leak!

Evening,
Owned an ep3 for a couple of months now and loving life! For a few weeks now though, the exhaust has been blowing under load. It's still under warranty but they seem fairly useless, they've replaced the b pipe which was nice but it hasn't fixed it and every time it goes back they just re-seal it (helpful). So being fed up the other day, got my head in the engine bay looking at the manifold (where I reckon the noise is coming from), I can't see any cracks from above or below, but I've noticed soot around the joint between the manifold and downpipe. The spring bolts are pretty rusted and generally shot, was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them and if it was a simple as knocking them out and replacing them and how much the stealers would charge or if this is a sign of new manifold time?
Any help much appreciated, did try searching but couldn't find anything.

Cheers
Ben

Update: After three days of daily wd-40ing, I attacked the bolts, one came out nice and easy, got a 12mm on it no problem.
The other bolt was ruined, knew it would snap but still persevered and after an hour of hard graft it snapped... Ha. Took off mani to get rid of the rest of the shot bolt and while I was on replaced all gaskets. Back to having a nice, normal sounding exhaust, for now! :evil:

Parts

Update: After three days of daily wd-40ing, I attacked the bolts, one came out nice and easy, got a 12mm on it no problem.
The other bolt was ruined, knew it would snap but still persevered and after an hour of hard graft it snapped... Ha. Took off mani to get rid of the rest of the shot bolt and while I was on replaced all gaskets. Back to having a nice, normal sounding exhaust, for now! :evil:

Hi I have the exact same issue do you know what the part numbers are or exactly which parts I need to get to resolve the problem also is it a long job and do you have any idea on price?

Not sure of part numbers mate sorry, I just went to local stealers and explained the issue and that I needed the two spring bolts and cone gasket between manifold and downpipe and the parts guy was dead helpful.
Bolts are 1p each, cost about £16 in total.
I did it myself and seized/rusted bolts held me up, ended up spending a couple of hours doing it. Reckon it'd only take a garage an hours labour or so, depends which road you want to go down

got the same problem at the moment cant get the rusted spring bolts out though 1 snapped and i didnt touch the other 1 ive packed it with gumgun until i get get a dremal and cut the nuts at the back

Back