• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Matty's Ep3 Turbo... RPF1 reps & AR-1's fitted..

First off Hi all :p

Back end of June last year whilst browsing good old e-Bay I placed a last second bit on what is now my ep3 turbo... After a treck to Crewe and parting with £4,500 I became the owner of the below.. Few pics below of how the car was from advert and spec...

Hondata k pro
Lsd
6 paddle clutch
Uprated engine mounts
Polly bushed
Extended buddy club ball joints
Rbc inlet
Braided brake lines
1000c injectors
Full 3" exhaust system
4 bar map sensor
Hks dump valve
Garret t4 turbo af 50
Screamer pipe
Lowering springs 30-40mm
Cool running spark plugs
Braided brake lines....

The car was supposed to be running a claimed 326bhp @ 7 psi at TDI......(have graphs from previous owner)

I've always taken previous owners claims with a pinch of salt and the following posts will explain all lol.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Half way home the car started to smoke and when I moved the car off the drive way in the morning I was greeted with a small patch of oil on my driveway. First thing I did was to take it to my mates garage and get it checked over. The oil return pipe to the sump had started to leak and underneath the car was covered in oil, although strangely the dip stick was still showing that the car was full of oil. So nipped up the return pipe and cleaned off excess oil under the car.

Then I took the car to Streetracers in Syston, I've used Gordon for over 10 years and trust him 110% with all of I've had over the years... The car was strapped down for a power run to see how it was set-up and the graph below shows the result... the car was boosting to 11 psi and the vtec wasn't cutting in as it should...

Gordon looked at the map on the car as said that the car couldn't have been mapped at TDI as the map was all over the place.. So we ran the car with no boost and it made 225bhp and all seemed to be ok.. Then we started to feed some more boost back into the car and then the bad news..... Gordon heard the bottom end knock... Doh... so stopped and let the car come to a stop...

I was very lucky as had this happened on the road it would have been game over for the engine, but because Gordon heard it with the det cans on the dyno the damage wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been..

So I had the car recovered on a flat bed to a mates garage where the sump was taken off for the bottom end to be inspected, rocker cover was also removed to check chain etc... Thankfully I was very very lucky as only the shells needed to be replaced... the sump as fully cleaned and vtec filters were also removed and replaced with new ones and ACL race bearings were fitted.. the crank was fine and not even marked.. the car was put back together and then run for 100 miles and kept under 3,000rpm... Oil and filter was changed and oil was clear and fine.. The car was then run again for another 500 miles and then kept to under 4,000rpm.. Oil and filter was then again changed and all clear.. It was then filled with 5w50 oil and at the same time I had a new oil return pipe made as I wasn't happy with the old one... another 100 miles later and I then went back to see Gordon to have the car set-up again and below is the result at 11 psi... 325bhp..

I still wasn't happy with the way the car had performed , so decided to order a bigger turbo in December and whilst it was on order I decided to upgrade the brakes and suspension...

I ordered the following from Godspeed.

Front and rear G hook discs
Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads front and rear

I then also ordered some ate super blue brake fluid and a Tegiwa brake stopper and also managed to find some BC coil overs that had only been used for a few months...

[/URL[URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/user/MATTYGREEN/media/c11_zpszqgpwr2r.png.html]

]

The car was taken back to Gordon at left with him over the festive and new year period... Whilst was there I ordered Stack oil pressure and temperature gauges, new steering wheel and gear knob...

New Turbo arrived Garrett GTW5857... New vs Old...

Whilst the turbo was off we found out that the downpipe was 2.5" going to 3" system... Not the smartest of ideas so had a new 3" down pipe made..

It then went back on the rollers to be setup for the 3rd time.... and made an impressive 408bhp & 280lb-ft @ 11psi... 1st gear is 9 psi then 11psi in the rest...

The second graph shows the 325bhp on old turbo vs the 408bhp on new Garrett 5857...

Since then I've also had the brakes fitted and suspension setup at Northampton Motorsport..

I've also had Federal 215/45/17 fitted all round and some other bits I've probably forgotten about lol...

A few more pics of how it looks now...

And a quick video of how it goes... not the best as I was trying to record on phone whilst driving on private road :lol:

Sorry for the picture quality/sizing as most are off my phone #-o The car is going back middle of this week for more boost :eek: any comments or opinions welcome, thanks :D

Great car buddy, never been in a boosted civic, maybe get mine done some time in the future if funds allow,

That sounds ridiculous :D
How are you liking the pads? I have the rc6 pads, braking is amazing but they squeel like mad at low speeds.

Thanks for the comments :D

The RC5+ are really good, I did consider the 6's but as the car is mostly for road use (may see the track one or twice) I was advised that the 5+ would be OK for my needs. I've spent money on big brake kits before... But decided not to bother on the ep3 after people's advice and can honestly say I'm not disappointed as to how they perform, although yes they do speak a little when cold but not for long.

Nice motor. Down side to this is that someone has been messing with the clock on the car the mileage isn't right as a friend of mine told me. You can check it on mot history check on google thought I tell you since I know bout it. And I'm not trying to put you off the car all ep3's have there ups and downs.

Does your "friend" know the history behind the mileage of the car? Or does he just go around checking cars history on the DVLA site?

Yes I know about the mileage which happened in 2013 so is not an issue :lol:

I've also had Federal 215/45/17 fitted all round and some other bits I've probably forgotten about lol...

A few more pics of how it looks now...

And a quick video of how it goes... not the best as I was trying to record on phone whilst driving on private road :lol:

Thats well good build that
Also In the second picture Mattygreen has his own Rising Platform where his car rises to him :D

Does your "friend" know the history behind the mileage of the car? Or does he just go around checking cars history on the DVLA site?Yes I know about the mileage which happened in 2013 so is not an issue :lol:
He doesn't know the history he was doing a pre check on few and told me bout this one. Dvla do cover all mileages on cars on the site according to there site the clock was messed with. I'm only telling you as he told me and besides no car is perfect just enjoy it.

He doesn't know the history he was doing a pre check on few and told me bout this one. Dvla do cover all mileages on cars on the site according to there site the clock was messed with. I'm only telling you as he told me and besides no car is perfect just enjoy it.

Thanks, but I'm fully aware what services the DVLA offer as I've been in the motor trade myself for quite some time..... just to put your mind at rest the clocks were changed due to failure, this has been documented and I'm aware what the mileage is on the car, they haven't "been messed with" changed for a reason..

And thanks, I'm more than enjoying the car :D

sounds like a hell of a car matty, sounds like you have done a bit with it.
Do you have an more plans or is this it for the EP3, As we all know no speed is enough.

Back