• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mechanic Forgot to Tighten oil Filter

Hi lads, Just bought my Red 2002 Ep3 Type r Anniversary Edition last tuesday week from a Dealer. Was Cleaning it that weekend and noticed that oil was coming out of the engine at a very fast rate. Had a Look into the engine bay to find the filter practically coming off!!:evil: Rang mechanic and he took car in and said that it was because it was not a genuine Honda Filter and from the pressure of the engine!! Was he talking a load of crap or did he just not tighten it properly any ideas??luckily i realised in time or that would be the end of the engine!!

Even if it wasn't genuine it wouldn't unscrew itself, unless it was a magic oil filter.... :lol:

Iirc aren't they only meant to be installed hand tight?

Yep, pretty much. Can always tell if the previous person has been heavy-handed when working on friends' vehicles, you end up having to beast them off with a chain whip or screwdriver through the filter body.

Iirc aren't they only meant to be installed hand tight?
Maybe he was a minge not a man????

You're supposed to tighten it by hand. Most people do not clean the surface that the new filter is going to seat onto. Make sure the filter base plate is clean prior to installing the filter.

Sounds like this clown was trying to hide his incompetance.
I strongly suggest you find another garage to have your vehicle
serviced at. If they can't do oil changes properly, what can they do?

Back