• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MER Auto Shine - Actually used it this time

Anyone tried this range before?

Went to get some more products from Halfords 3 for 2. Always used Meguiars but thought I'd give this ago.

Having second thoughts and don't know whether to exchange them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to try some of these as the reviews were really good. Have just ordered 500ml of Auto Finesse Tripple as people seem to rave on about that also. if you do try it let us no

Might give it ago then.

I have just read a review saying after one wash after using the wax there was no more beading.

yea i guess you will always get mixed reviews, i read a lot of good ones. Always worth ago unless you've tried and tested something and love it

Mer used to be raved about, but I'm not to sure how good it is anymore. Now you've bought it you may as well give it a try. Wax wise I tend to stick to Autoglym High def, reasonably expensive (depending what you compare it to though)

Did the Mer stuff seem well priced?

Mer works best on brightwork (chrome, stainless etc). I've only ever used the original in the blue bottle though, not sure if that's any different to what you have bought.

It's really really easy to use, very little elbow grease required. As mentioned, doesn't last as long as some other brands but if you're like me and wax your car once a month, it's spot on.

Went in Halfords yesterday and for some reason I still keep picking this stuff up so thought I'd have a crack at the polish.

It was £11.99 for a 500ml bottle.

I also used these from Autoglym. Very good for applying. Nice having a flat and pointed edge for certain panels.
£7.99 for two pads.

41cJ4Htl-jL._SY300_.jpg

All done by hand. Very easy on and off but I had the luxery of my inlaws double garage. No sunlight to dry out the polish.

The paintwork wasn't really in a bad way to start with. Just light swirl marks only visible in bright sunlight.
Car is kept pretty clean so was just shampooed and dried before polishing.

The first picture I was trying to show how well it took out a surface scratch. My missus tried to wipe of some dried on bird sh!t and it marked the paint. Try to ignore the water marks.

Before

After

The boot was the only place inside the garage I could get a decent picture of the swirling. As you can see, it was very minimal but enough to annoy me.

Before

All in all quite impressed. Would definatly use it again as well as the applicator pads.

Will see how long it lasts with no wax on top.

Tempted to buy the wax and shampoo next time.

I bought a bottle of that MUR ultimate polish was in a £1 bin in somewhere like the range, thought id give it a go for the price, wasn't particularly impressed, for the money it was ok.
But prefered the autoglym super resin polish.
Those are the only two I have used though as im not into detailing really.

I bought a bottle of that MUR ultimate polish was in a £1 bin in somewhere like the range, thought id give it a go for the price, wasn't particularly impressed, for the money it was ok.
But prefered the autoglym super resin polish.
Those are the only two I have used though as im not into detailing really.

I was tempted between this and the Autoglym but I always used to find it very powdery when buffing off.

The new SRP formula isn't anywhere near as powdery as the old stuff, still a bit but a massive improvement. I say new but it's been around for a while now

Not sure on the product but if it's in halfords I'd expect fancy packaging and average product. Been impressed with Autobrite products lately. Meguiars is always reliable though.

Back