• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Metal on metal sound from back

Hi

I have just got my first ever type r after having a few vti's

Its a 2003 model but i have a problem where from the back ( i think ) when i am driving at any speed it whines like metal on metal sound ( or like the sound when you have a stone in your break shoe.)

Anyone ever had this and how would go about fixing it (could even be a stone in the shoe not looked as i only got the civic today and its dark most evenings by the time i get home).

Thanks
Dave.

Rear brake binding and the pads have worn down to the wear indicators?

Go for a short 5-10 minute drive and brake as little as possible. Get out and carefully touch the rear discs. If either or both are hot, that's your problem.

It could also be a poorly adjusted hand brake.

There isn't anything else rotating at the rear. So if it's not that check the wheels aren't catching anywhere if the car is lowered.

Also try jacking the rear up, gripping the wheels by the top and bottom and see if there is any play or movement if you try to rock the wheel in and out against the bearing. If there is, the wheel bearing is shot.

Thanks i will try that today if i get a chance.

I will keep you updated and let you know. The bloke i got it from said he put new back discs and pads on i bet he hasnt doesnt something properly. The car is in abit of a bad way so am going to spend months getting it just right.

THanks for the quick reply.

Dave.

Back