• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Micropolishing

Are you repairing a reground crank?

I am in the process of doing a turbo project, so having a complete engine rebuild. Engine block has been sent off for machine work, ie Boreing, honing, refacing and hot tank. Head has been diss assembled, cleaned ready for valve train to be installed. Crank has been micro polished, measured for bearings and ready for refitement.

If it needed micropolishing that means that some journals where marked/scratched. Doing micropolish work saved you your crankshaft. It will require thicker bearings decided after your machinist measured tolerances.

I know a couple people who recommend having cranks & flywheels balanced and they'd attest they make a massive difference to the car.

I know a couple people who recommend having cranks & flywheels balanced and they'd attest they make a massive difference to the car.
Balancing is different. Though the right thing to do when using other than oem flywheel and/or clutch.
Thanks for that. Would that be the main journals as well as rod journals?

not necessarily. Could be either or both. There's no rule to say which suffer usually.

Balancing is different. Though the right thing to do when using other than oem flywheel and/or clutch.
not necessarily. Could be either or both. There's no rule to say which suffer usually.

Thanks for the clarifying that:)

Back