• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Midge's Spoon'd DC5

Hi all! Here's my DC5:

• 73614 miles on the clock
  • First UK owner (imported last October with approx. 66000 miles on it)
  • It's a daily driver covering around 200 miles per week, mostly motorway
  • Only modifications to date:
    • Spoon B Pipe
    • Spoon N1
    • Pioneer Double DIN CD/DVD player
    • Spoon team stickers
  • Since owning/within 12 months I have replaced:
    • Brake pads all round with OEM pads
    • Knock Sensor
    • Engine mount
    • Freshened up the LED bulbs all round
  • Plans:
    • Service, MOT and engine mount
    • Spoon 4-2 manifold
    • Intake (seems to be a toss up between Tegiwa's and the Gruppe M from what I've researched)
    • Lowering springs (debating this as I do not want to 'ruin' the car)
    • K100 remap (same as above and cannot justify it at the moment - it is fast enough for me and I quite like having my licence!)

I'm still learning a lot about the car, the engine etc. and this forum is my first port of call so thanks once again. I intend to keep my Teg tasteful but distinguishable if that makes sense!

Cheers!

20150724_174008_zpsi1dmwwqk.jpg

20150724_174029_zpshcykq3hy.jpg

20150724_174125_zpsvdxuzpun.jpg

20150724_174150_zpsnav7fred.jpg

20150724_174427_zpsdtoetty8.jpg

20150724_174524_zps7uvbcv9i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very clean Teg dude, i like the Spoon theme you've got going on too. Reckon you'll opt for the spoon progressive springs if you go down that route?

Also how loud is it with the spoon catback?

Thanks gents!

Very clean Teg dude, i like the Spoon theme you've got going on too. Reckon you'll opt for the spoon progressive springs if you go down that route?

Also how loud is it with the spoon catback?

Most likely, I see the Spoon Progressive Springs are on multi-buy discount at the moment but it's not really a priority and with the unexpected expenses of my knock sensor and engine mount, money needs to be spent elsewhere unfortunately :( you wouldn't happen to know about/have any feedback on the Spoon springs mate?

With regards to the exhaust...my personal opinion is that it isn't a whole world away from stock at normal speeds even with the B Pipe once the engine is warm and everything up to temperature! On start up it is fairly noisy as you'd expect but at normal speeds it's a modest note. It doesn't turn many heads at 20-30mph but once you're hitting 4,000+ revs, it's a different story! I'll try and get some videos to avoid rambling and let you hear for yourself! One observation is the vibration from the undercarriage...at first I thought I had a flat tyre haha but I think if it sits too close to the underside of the car it will vibrate a lot through the seat etc. Think this can be solved by dropping the hinges slightly lower.

I could probably summarise better by saying it's a quality, racing exhaust and not a shouty look-at-me one although I would absolutely love to decat it!

I took this this morning as I saw your comment before I went to sleep last night Nightrunner, just uploaded it in the past hour! Hope it is of use to you. Need to get a GoPro for some better videos :)

Nice Teg and very similar spec to me. Mine has the following,

Championship White
Spoon 2-1 decat
Spoon B-Pipe
Spoon Tower Strut Brace
Spoon Stickers
K100 Remap

I have ES engine mounts and Team Dynamics Race Pro 1.2 wheels.

I also have a Spoon N1 back box but as I track mine I needed to go back to the OEM box. The N1 made great figures though and would love to keep it on the car. Considering a Spoon 4-2 and Spoon 5.3 final drive at some point.

Cheers Scottish, S2KIP and Linus!

Nice Teg and very similar spec to me. Mine has the following,

Championship White
Spoon 2-1 decat
Spoon B-Pipe
Spoon Tower Strut Brace
Spoon Stickers
K100 Remap

I have ES engine mounts and Team Dynamics Race Pro 1.2 wheels.

I also have a Spoon N1 back box but as I track mine I needed to go back to the OEM box. The N1 made great figures though and would love to keep it on the car. Considering a Spoon 4-2 and Spoon 5.3 final drive at some point.

Very nice setup Linus. I find the DC5 just doesn't suit aftermarket wheels but the Team Dynamics are definitely an exception! Ahh feel your pain, I bought the bung for the N1 but safe to say it has not been out of its packaging :D

I have to ask about the K100 remap...is it worth the install on what is essentially a daily driver in your opinion? I'd consider tracking the car in future to see the real gains but otherwise, I'm not entirely convinced with remapping so appreciate your (and any other) feedback.

Remap is definitely worth it.

My DC5 had TD wheels, I liked them a lot.

Thanks gents!

Most likely, I see the Spoon Progressive Springs are on multi-buy discount at the moment but it's not really a priority and with the unexpected expenses of my knock sensor and engine mount, money needs to be spent elsewhere unfortunately :( you wouldn't happen to know about/have any feedback on the Spoon springs mate?

With regards to the exhaust...my personal opinion is that it isn't a whole world away from stock at normal speeds even with the B Pipe once the engine is warm and everything up to temperature! On start up it is fairly noisy as you'd expect but at normal speeds it's a modest note. It doesn't turn many heads at 20-30mph but once you're hitting 4,000+ revs, it's a different story! I'll try and get some videos to avoid rambling and let you hear for yourself! One observation is the vibration from the undercarriage...at first I thought I had a flat tyre haha but I think if it sits too close to the underside of the car it will vibrate a lot through the seat etc. Think this can be solved by dropping the hinges slightly lower.

I could probably summarise better by saying it's a quality, racing exhaust and not a shouty look-at-me one although I would absolutely love to decat it!

Sorry dude, forgot to reply to this!
With regards to the spoon springs, i've not heard too much if i'm honest. I'm sure a quick google will produce a whole load of info, but from what i know; they're okay to use on stock shocks, but best suited to the spoon dampers (as you'd expect), think it's a modest drop and being progressive, they shouldn't diminish ride quality when driving conservatively

The Spoon system sounds spot on then, similar to my skunk2 setup as when cruising along it's not too noticeable, but all it takes is a bit of a heavy right foot and people will be wondering whats going on haha mine came alive when i decatted, more throaty now and crossover is definitely more noticeable

I can't see the video you uploaded, though that may just be i can't seem to find the link haha

Thanks for the replies dude :)

It's been a while so thought I would update on the DC5!

Knock sensor and engine mount both replaced around July/August however, since the engine mount was done, the car is pulling to the right under all types of acceleration (i.e. I don't think it is just torque steer). The guys in the garage I take my car to (who are spot on by the way) rotated my wheels around so I took it back the same day and they swapped the wheels back over on the driver's side but the pulling is still occurring. Was advised to let the mount settle as it would have raised the engine up thus affected handling/balance but still occurring... (Just to add to the engine mount, I uploaded a video to YouTube (linked on page 1) of the exhaust and also commented about the Spoon catback vibrating heavily - that was all purely because of my knackered engine mount! Dashboard, steering wheel, headunit facia, the lot, were all rattling about because of the broken mount. Car is actually relatively quiet with the Spoon system on idle!)

I then got 4-wheel laser alignment done at my local McConechys in case the tracking was off. £60-odd further down and hadn't changed a thing. Keeping an eye on it - I've taken too many days off work for the car this year to take any more and hopefully it is nothing serious! McConechys guys were pretty sound for anyone looking to use them.

Serviced and MOT'd in August. One advisory from the MOT: anti roll bar slight play on nearside rear - hoping the pulling to the right may have something to do with this but could be totally wrong. Feel free to shoot me down accordingly! Relatively pleased with this...first MOT in the country (bar the initial MOT from the importer Torque GT) so hoping for another 14 years on the road!

Insurance renewal this month dropped by about £450! Also got a Toad Ai606 alarm fitted last week :shock: if anyone is looking for a career change then alarm fitters/electricians certainly make their money alright for a few hours work!

Not sure if this is a common issue or what, registering with the DC5 forum would probably help ](*,), but my heater is so temperamental! It'll go on then off periodically. So this morning I changed my pollen/cabin filter, here are some snaps of the process for any novices like me (similar process for an EP3 and the filters are the same, FYI ;):p):

20151024_115957_zpswx28vdnj.jpg

Pop these holders out of the glovebox, one on opposite side too

20151024_115613_zpsz2glclou.jpg

Unhinge the pollen/cabin filter housing cover

20151024_115404_zpsdvmreyjv.jpg

2 trays - pull these out

20151024_115225_zpsqky3jhww.jpg

Clean the trays while they are out - DRY! - ensure air flow arrows are pointing down both on the tray and the new filters - refit, excuse the calloused hands

20151024_113102_zpssosbo5fl.jpg

Old

20151024_112837_zpsxvz9qe0y.jpg

New

20151024_112758_zpsplswao5v.jpg

Bought from Ace Parts via Amazon. £8.

Up next and awaiting delivery...something from Tegiwa...

Back