• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Milano Chris' DC5 Stealth Install- Build thread.

Hi there, I’m currently doing an install in MilanoChris’ DC5. The install will be built using a mixture of fibre glass and MDF and all the equipment will be completely hidden safely under a false floor.

Anyway, I thought I’d post up the build process to give you an idea of the effort and skill that goes into building a quality ICE install.

Here goes…

When I first took a look at Chris’ install, I instantly knew that it would sound poor without hearing it. The box that was being used was completely inadequate. It was cheap, prefabricated and most importantly the ports/vents used in the box had not been measured correctly and because of this it was causing the sub to peak at very high frequencies, not actually allowing any real sub bass to play.

christeg002.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/big_hav/christeg002.jpg

If you are going to use ports/vents in a sub-box, you need box design software that will provide accurate port dimension measurements that will enable you to tune the sub to play at a suitable frequency with more output.1

I also believe that the amplifiers were a major let down of the system. No offence to Chris or anyone else that uses this equipment, but Sony and SPLX is about as bad as it gets in terms of car audio. Although the SPLX has a claimed power wattage of something daft (500w,600w etc), these are max power output figures and in reality it probably produces no more than 100-120 watts RMS, which is simply not enough for the subwoofer.

What I will say though is that Chris has some very tasty focal speakers in his doors and rear Q’s which would have cost a small fortune when they were bought new. The Kicker sub is also a decent speaker and should be a good match (power wise) for the new amplifier that will be installed. It might not be the best sub in the world in terms of sound quality, but from my experience, give a Kicker sub a decent amount of power and it will boom.

Although they’re not dangerous, the wires in the back are a little messy and tangled so will be trimmed down and secured when the new enclosure goes in.

christeg005.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/big_hav/christeg005.jpg

Before I started, I zip tied all the matching cables together and moved them out of the way so I could get to work.

christeg006.jpg

Then it was time to drop the new amp and sub in so I could see how much space I have to play with. Unfortunately, the answer to that question was “not much”, it will be a tight fit but it will fit…just.

christeg007.jpg

Next step was trying to conceptualise/measure how tall the sub box could be, keeping in mind that the false floor and double mdf subwoofer baffle would have to be included in this height measurement as well.

christeg008.jpg

This is a better view of what I have done, the ruler is basically where the false floor will go. As you can see, the false floor will not really sit any higher than the standard boot mat. Which is exactly what I want.

christeg009.jpg

A bit of extreme measuring to work out the sub box mdf panels size.

christeg010.jpg

Then it was time to cut up some pieces of cardboard so that I could make an outline of the sub box. Because the wheel well isn’t flat, I had to cut the cardboard to fit the contours of the floor while making sure that the height was equal all the way round the box so the sub baffle could sit on top.

christeg011.jpg

The subwoofer will be a simple sealed enclosure and after measuring, it will be between 0.9 and 1 cuft depending on how I make it, which is pretty much ideal.

The carboard pieces aren’t in position 100%, but you get the idea.

christeg2001.jpg

Then it was time to cut the wood, again, not positioned 100%, but you get the idea.

christeg2002.jpg

Next job was using the cardboard pieces that I had made as a rough template for the MDF pieces.

christeg2003.jpg

As you can see below, it’s a nice fit. No more than a few mm gap between the mdf and the floor of the car, but this won’t be a problems as the bottom of the sub box will be made using fibreglass and will therefore create a tight seal with the mdf making sure no air escapes.

christeg2004.jpg

Then it was a case of clamping all the sub box together with no more nails using this absolutely fantastic corner clamp.

christeg2005.jpg

As you can see this corner fits nice and flush with the contours of the boot floor while remaining spirit level flat on the top.

christeg2007.jpg

That’s about it for today, spent a lot of time just measuring up and thinking, but I’ll be back on tomorrow morning and hopefully will have the base of the sub box completed tomorrow evening and will obviously post up more photos once done.

Thanks for reading and if you are interested, I will be constantly adding photos as i progress over the next few days.

Matt.

Top work. I've not seen the car since it was dropped off round Matt's at about 12 ish today. Next time I see it will be tomorrow evening when I need to make a quick drop off at Brize Norton. The it'll be going back to Matt's ready for some more work.

I really can't wait for it to be complete, money well spent IMO.

Excellent work! Nice to see a progress thread as well :)

Big Hav, I'll see you on the 18th ;)

:smt039

Indeed, should be a good day.

If anyone is interested, there is a Talkaudio meet in Coventry on the 18th, I'm sure anyone who's interested would be welcome.

Thanks for the comments guys, although I haven't even started yet.:eek:

Matt.

Hmm, I might be tempted by that. Oh, I'm glad that a different sub to the kicker is going in. Never been 100% keen on it. No point in having nice focal comps, nice amp and a mediocre sub is there?

To be honest Chris, the Kicker sub isn't bad, it's just not really designed for small sealed enclousures unlike the directed studio sub that I have replaced it with, below.:D

studio12001.jpg

Anyway, carrying on with the build...

After cutting out all the pieces of wood that would be used for the sub box, i glued and screwed (countersank) it all together and was left with a frame as below. To keep the wood at an equal length apart, i nailed a few tacs in that MDF bar.

christeg3002.jpg

Then, using a stretchy T-shirt fabric and a staple gun, i covered the bottom of the sub box which curves upwards in line with the back of the boot. This not only makes the box more secure, but maximises enclosure space.

christeg3004.jpg

I then dropped the box in to have a quick look at how it would sit, and all was good.

christeg3005.jpg

Then it was time for the fibgreglass resin to begin....

Using foil and tape i began to mask off the areas that would come in contact with the fibreglass resin. The FG will not stick to these materials so, once the fibreglass mould has set, you can just peel it away.

christeg3009.jpg

The last thing you want is fibreglass on someone elses paintwork, so a shower curtain was used to cover the back area of the car.:D

christeg3006.jpg

After mixing up the fibreglass resin i applied it to the area of the sub box where the curve is. This will set hard and once the rest of the box is completed using fibreglass matt, it will provide a very very tight enclosure for the sub to play in. There will be no air leakage from the box whatsoever.:cool:

christeg3008.jpg

I then put on another coat of the fibreglass mixture and waited for it to dry.

.....To be continued tonight/tommorow morning. Still got loads of work to do.

Okay, so the FG set nice and hard so i was able to take off the MDF brace and cut away the excess material.

Voila

christeg4002.jpg

It needs cutting back some more, but you get the idea.

Next step will be using fibre glass mating to create a perfect mould with of the rest of the wheel well, forming the bottom of the bass box.

That was a long day.

Anyway I carried on with fibreglassing what would turn out to be the underneath of the box.

So, I taped and foiled everything up. As said before, fibreglass doesn't stick to these materials and you can just peel the mould away.

christeg5001.jpg

I then stapled a number of lengths of matting around the edges of the sub box using the staple gun....

christeg5002.jpg

The reason for this can be seen in the picture below...

christeg5003.jpg

Basically once the box is sitting where it should, the matting will act as a seal for the underneath of the box once resin is applied

I then applied enough resin and matting to create a mould that would become the bottom of the sub box.

christeg5005.jpg

A fan heater was called in which sped up the curing process no end.:lol:

christeg5004.jpg

Once dry, the fibreglass popped out leaving no mess whatsoever.:cool:

christeg5006.jpg

Putting the box in position it had turned out expected and was perfect to within a mm.

christeg5007.jpg

Here's another picture of the box, yes it is a little ugly but that will be sorted tommorow when i trim and finish it.

christeg5008.jpg

Since then I've been adding loads more layers of fibreglass and have sealed all the corners of the box. It's just drying in the garage. I'll post a picture of it later.

I also weighed the box on the scales and it is just under 4kg, which is kind of in keeping with the type-r ethos.:lol: As a comparison, a shop bought MDF box weighs in at about 9-10.

Good work mate.

I also weighed the box on the scales and it is just under 4kg, which is kind of in keeping with the type-r ethos.:lol: As a comparison, a shop bought MDF box weighs in at about 9-10.

:lol::lol:

Why not carbon fibre :p

Good work mate.

:lol::lol:

Why not carbon fibre :p

There's always one isn't there.:lol:

But in all seriousness, i can't see why it wouldn't be possible. That would be :cool: .

I don't know how much the whole thing is going to weigh, but it won't be anymore than when the original sub box and wheel were in the car.

Anyhow the FG has set fully, so i need to get cracking. Expect pictures later.

Didn't do much today, but the baffle is now on the box.
christeg6001.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/big_hav/christeg6001.jpg

Notice the perfect circle.:D If anyone is interested, I used a Router with a Jasper circle jig.

The sub sits in nicely, even when it is placed in without screws it is such a tight fit that it doesn't budge while staying perfectly flat on the baffle.

christeg6002.jpg

christeg6003.jpg

Tommorow I will be adding an extra sheet of Mdf to the baffle, adding more fibreglass to the box to make it even stronger and sealing it up completely with more resin and fibreglass matting both on the inside and outside of the box. I will also cut away the baffle to run in line with the box, so that will be a little more weight saved and give it a general tidy upon the outside and i may end up spraying the outside of the box even though no one is ever going to see it.:lol:

I'm also hoping to hideaway a small red neon light somewhere in the recess where the sub will sit, so it will give the sub a nice red glow. I'm adding two small fans that will cool the amp in the amp rack, so i am going to run the neons from the relay that I will be using for these.

Alot of people don't bother with a relay and simply run fans and other electrics off the remote out on the headunit, this is a bit silly as you can potentially fry your headunit. It is also important to use a diode across the terminals of the relay as this will stop voltage spiking damaging the headunit.

I've also got a load of carbon fibre sheeting, so that is going to make an appearance in the install some time soon.

It's gonna look very nice Chris.:cool:

Looking really nice, out of intrest where are you based as i would be intrested in a small boot build like this in the near future

Hi Gandi,

I'm a good distance from Essex, as you've probably worked out. But it's not an impossibility.

One option would be to drive down here and arrange a rental car for a few days to drive back home in and obviously to come back in to pick up your car.

With ICE shops charging on average £40 an hour for labour, you'd be suprised how much you would get charged for an install like the one that I am doing for Chris. Obviously I don't charge anywhere near what the shops charge, so after you've got a few quotes from local places, get in touch with myself you might find that the money you could save might make the trip down and cost of the rental car worthwhile.

Matt.

Thanks, I've done a bit or work since then, but I'm waiting on materials to arrive. I'll post up pics once i get rolling again.

If Chris is paying him by the hour, then a hell of a lot!!!

There are quite a few people on here eager to see the finished results. Get a move on!

Back