• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Milano Red paint fade problem!!!!!

Right I gave my car a good clean yesterday but the paint fade is much worse than what I first thought....

Here's a couple of snaps from yesterday...

Up close...
19092009064.jpg

Take a few steps back and...
19092009065.jpg

I don't even think a good detail will it bring it back much!!! Really disapointed tbh - I get the feeling Honda use crap paint! I used to own an "M" reg peugeot 106 1.1 which was 13 years old and the paint was nowhere near as bad as this...

A chap is coming to look at the car on monday to see what he can do -> go from there...

I think my options are:

- Get the polish out: I have tried using polish, colour restore and t-cut with no success.. perhaps I should just live with having a milano pink/red car?

- Get it detailed: luckily a local detailer lives just up the road from me and has quoted £270 and he said it should bring the colour back up / remove swirlmarks etc...

- Get it resprayed: I don't know how much this would cost but I know it won't be cheap! It would be my last resort really (if someone could tell me how much it's gonna cost roughly that would be great!)

It looks really bad upclose but from a distance you can't really notice it! Any advice / recommendations would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Ash

If it was single stage paint, a detailer would be able to do something with it quite quickly Ash.

However, it is a base coat, red colour coat and a clearcoat [or lacquer] on top.

Unfortunately in some cases the red colour coat can fade under the clear, so there is no alternative other than a respray.

If you polish it and no colour comes off on your cloth or pad, then it has faded under the clear. If colour comes off on your cloth, then it would suggest previous paintwork/repair as iirc all EP3 CTR's are clearcoated.

If it was single stage paint, a detailer would be able to do something with it quite quickly Ash.

However, it is a base coat, red colour coat and a clearcoat [or lacquer] on top.

Unfortunately in some cases the red colour coat can fade under the clear, so there is no alternative other than a respray.

If you polish it and no colour comes off on your cloth or pad, then it has faded under the clear. If colour comes off on your cloth, then it would suggest previous paintwork/repair as iirc all EP3 CTR's are clearcoated.

When I tried polishing it no paint came off on the cloth...

Thanks for getting back to me :)

When I tried polishing it no paint came off on the cloth...

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Try rubbing it again in an area not noticeable e.g. inside of doors etc with some rubbing compound. Some standard polishes may be too weak to remove any material. Reason I say that is I remember working on a milano red EP3 and it definitely did not have a clearcoat.

Also, I wouldn't expect the ep3 milano red to fade that badly if it was clearcoated as the clearcoats normally have a UV protection additive which helps to prevent it fading.

Try rubbing it again in an area not noticeable e.g. inside of doors etc with some rubbing compound. Some standard polishes may be too weak to remove any material. Reason I say that is I remember working on a milano red EP3 and it definitely did not have a clearcoat.

Also, I wouldn't expect the ep3 milano red to fade that badly if it was clearcoated as the clearcoats normally have a UV protection additive which helps to prevent it fading.

As long as it's not been resprayed it will have clearcoat, they all do from the factory.

As long as it's not been resprayed it will have clearcoat, they all do from the factory.

Can't say for sure as it was a second hand car but I was repairing some scuffs on the front bumper and there was definitely no clear.

Anyhow, that is some crap lacquer if it gives that much fade.

Inside of doors & under bonnet = NO clearcoat

When I say inside of doors, I don't mean actually inside the door, I'm talking about the frame, the part the door closes onto e.g. the door sill area or pillar. On most modern cars this part is lacquerred.

When I say inside of doors, I don't mean actually inside the door, I'm talking about the frame, the part the door closes onto e.g. the door sill area or pillar. On most modern cars this part is lacquerred.

I see, I see.

I know what you mean, I was just pointing out that the inside of the doors have NO clearcoat, so if you polish it you'd remove a bit of colour onto the cloth, but it wouldnt tell you anything about the outside of the car.

Whereas, as you point out, the sills etc are clearcoated and the finish is usually in line with the rest of the car.

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum so apologies if i'm going over old ground here, but i wonder if anybody has ideas on how i can cure my red paint fade. My roof looks just like Ash's, my bonnet and boot are slightly faded, and i've also noticed a bit of fading around the top of the rear wheel arches (same area as fuel cap).

i've tried Autoglym super resin polish & Meguirs NXT generation wax which does seem to work for a few days until it wears off. I've seen a few posts about 'detailing.' Call me stupid, but what is this and would it help?

please don't say it needs a re-spray because the missus will not be happy, especially as i've only had it for 3 months :evil:

Tom

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum so apologies if i'm going over old ground here, but i wonder if anybody has ideas on how i can cure my red paint fade. My roof looks just like Ash's, my bonnet and boot are slightly faded, and i've also noticed a bit of fading around the top of the rear wheel arches (same area as fuel cap).

i've tried Autoglym super resin polish & Meguirs NXT generation wax which does seem to work for a few days until it wears off. I've seen a few posts about 'detailing.' Call me stupid, but what is this and would it help?

please don't say it needs a re-spray because the missus will not be happy, especially as i've only had it for 3 months :evil:

Tom

If the AG Super resin polish works for a few days, it may be worth doing it again, then applying two or three layers of a good quality UV stable sealant or wax.

I think the Zaino range of sealants have high resistance to UV fade, then apply a couple of layers of wax over the top of the sealant for even more durablility.

Keep it topped up with wax once a month and it may continue looking good.

HTH. :)

My dads has done this too, I think he wanted it machine polished. Will wait and see if anybody finds a wonder product first!

No wonder product i'm affraid, it will need a good machine polish to remove the oxidised dead paint, this followed by a few layer of a decent sealant topped off with some decent wax.

No wonder product i'm affraid, it will need a good machine polish to remove the oxidised dead paint, this followed by a few layer of a decent sealant topped off with some decent wax.

I thought if it was a clearcoated finish then you wouldn't be able to remove any oxidised dead paint. You surely only remove the fine scratches in the clearcoat.

Did you get any colour coming off onto your pads Paul?

I thought if it was a clearcoated finish then you wouldn't be able to remove any oxidised dead paint. You surely only remove the fine scratches in the clearcoat.

Did you get any colour coming off onto your pads Paul?

No colour off on the pads, but the swirls and scratches dull the finish maybe not to the extent that this car pictured has faded.

My laptop wasn't allowing pics earlier and i've just looked at them, blimey that is pretty bad, looks like its not been cared for and protected in the past and the sun has just damaged the clear making the base paint look dull and faded.

A detail with enhance and remove the swirls etc but will struggle to get the RED back off the roof part pictured.

Paul

Took mine to the fella who does all my painting, bonnet, roof and d/s wing and door faded to pink,I tried t-cut, G3 etc etc and no joy, he tried it with a buffer and said it had faded it under the lacquer so had to paint it all!

Took mine to the fella who does all my painting, bonnet, roof and d/s wing and door faded to pink,I tried t-cut, G3 etc etc and no joy, he tried it with a buffer and said it had faded it under the lacquer so had to paint it all!

:(
Common problem with Alfa Romeos too.

Back