• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Misfire when wet - Help needed please.

Update from Honda:

Misfire found on all cylinders due to coil packs. £560 :eek:

Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'm a bit bitter and very sceptical but I would get a second opinion before spending that amount of money.

I would of thought misfire on all cylinders would cause the EML to come on.

Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'm a bit bitter and very sceptical but I would get a second opinion before spending that amount of money.

I would of thought misfire on all cylinders would cause the EML to come on.

Apparently they hooked it up to the diagnostic and ran for 30 minutes, no faults. Took the car out for a good run on the motorway and on return hooked it up again and started spraying with water to replicate the Ingress of water. Once this was done codes started flagging up and Honda confirmed coil packs.

I haven’t got much choice unfortunately as I’m off to France next week so need to get the car sorted. Their confident they’ve found the issue and I asked if I would be covered if they haven’t found the fault. If the misfire hasn’t gone they said they would not charge for future labour...

Not sure what else I can do in so little time. My fault of course for leaving it!

Coil packs are £77 each from Tegiwa, so ~£300 for a set of 4, what's the other £260 for?

Coil packs are £77 each from Tegiwa, so ~£300 for a set of 4, what's the other £260 for?

Ripping me off and 10 minutes of labour. It’s easier for them to do it before I go to France and if it isn’t the issue I can go back to them.

I nearly fell over when she told me the cost!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a faulty coil pack on any of my vehicles, friends or family's. The chances of having 4 bad coil packs at once?! I'd be inclined to just buy one or two and experiment - they are easy enough to swap out

I have never seen a faulty coil pack on any of my vehicles, friends or family's. The chances of having 4 bad coil packs at once?! I'd be inclined to just buy one or two and experiment - they are easy enough to swap out

My car knowledge isn’t the best but I haven’t got the time to be playing around testing so hopefully this will cure it. If it doesn’t I guess I got something on Honda if they haven’t fixed the issue I went in for....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a bit skeptical it being the coil packs. especially all four of them going bad.

If it is the coil packs then how is the water getting in to them to cause said misfire. Is it through the connectors on the top?

If it isn't the coil packs are they going to remove the new ones, replace the old one's and reimburse you or are they just going to not charge you for future labour to find the problem?

Sounds like the exhaust to me. Put the standard one back on and see how it goes.

Collected the car yesterday and below is the “work carried out”

Carried out diagnostic checks for misfire. No codes logged. Checked plugs and coil plugs are new and correct ones for the car.

Carried out road test - all ok. Carried out extended road test with hds connected. Misfire counts logged on all 4 cylinders. Advise new coil packs.

Carried out full health check.

Supplied and fitted 4 x coil packs. Carried out road test in heavy rain. All ok.

Sounds like the exhaust to me. Put the standard one back on and see how it goes.

I hosed the exhaust with water and couldn’t replicate the fault. I’m not ruling it out but I’ll monitor the Honda “fix” and throw the car back to them if it does it again, although they are confident it was the coil packs. I will also get the exhaust checked by the company I got it from too as I have a lifetime warranty. No harm to ask them to check I guess.

It really did feel like a misfire, like when I had my first ever car (fiat uno turbo lol) and one of the ht leads was shot. If it does turn out to be he exhaust I’ll go back to oe spec

Back