• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

missing brake shims....

Hi everone.... Please help, my brakes are making bad squealing noise when braking softly.
I think it might be because some moron (ME....d'oh) has thrown away the steel shims on the the last pad change.
Can I get any more from anywhere....?
Cheers, zebb88.

Hi everone.... Please help, my brakes are making bad squealing noise when braking softly.
I think it might be because some moron (ME....d'oh) has thrown away the steel shims on the the last pad change.
Can I get any more from anywhere....?
Cheers, zebb88.

Slap a load of copper grease on the rear of the pads instead.

You beauty.... I'll give Honda a ring in the morning...
I tried the copper grease on the pads, it worked for a while but then....... It started squealing again, its drivin me mad..
Thanks everyone..

Get them fitted. I had terrible squealing with my ds2500. Now, I haven't heard anything from them.

I suppose it is going to be the weekend. Takes 40mins to do. Good luck and let us know the outcome. We will be waiting in anticipation. :) :lol:

I suppose it is going to be the weekend. Takes 40mins to do. Good luck and let us know the outcome. We will be waiting in anticipation. :) :lol:
I could have done them over the weekend... But the xbox and MW3 where calling me...:)

i replaced my discs and pads around 3 months ago..... and my front right squeeks everytime it gets warm and under light braking

I ordered shims, put some copper grease on, but still get squeeking :( only seems to happen less than 5-10mph

Also Ive noticed, when I have the car level (not accelerating or decelerating) and turning ever so slightly left... I get a screech that seems to happen with every 1 revolution of my wheel. Any ideas what this could be? or does it sound like i have a warped disc?
I did have a problem when fitting them that may have caused this

bowman i have the same problem, my front passenger caliper is sticking so im wandering if thats the problem, mine squeak when under light breaking too and i dont have shims fitted.

getting some new calipers next week and gonna fit the shims, hope it sorts it, im scared to drive in traffic because the noise is that bad

sorry its been so long getting back to let you know if the shims stopped the brakes from squealing.....well let me tell you that they........still squeal...arrrrh!!

After I put the second shim on my ds2500, all squealing has gone! love it! cheers Mtailor for you advice throughout the process lol

Back