• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Misting up windscreen

My windscreen in my EP3 keeps misting up if I use the heater without the aircon. If I use the aircon then its fine and stays clear but if I turn it off it then starts to mist up. The heater works fine pumping out hot and cold air. No dampness in the car either.

Any ideas or a common fault with EP3's?

Not sure what section to put this in so please move if in wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator:
My windscreen in my EP3 keeps misting up if I use the heater without the aircon. If I use the aircon then its fine and stays clear but if I turn it off it then starts to mist up. The heater works fine pumping out hot and cold air. No dampness in the car either.

Any ideas or a common fault with EP3's?

Not sure what section to put this in so please move if in wrong place.

mine use to do that aswell mate, not sure if its a common fault or not, annoying though!

It could be slight damp in the car, but it will be down to condensation.

Warm person in a cold car/cold outside, will cause condensation.

Air con dries the air, hence clearing the screen.

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if putting some of those small gel bags that absorb moisture would help if the car is slightly damp.

Just leave your car running with the heaters on full and hot for 10 minutes, and it will clear itself up.

Just leave your car running with the heaters on full and hot for 10 minutes, and it will clear itself up.

No it mists up whilst driving, so I could be driving for 20, 30 minutes etc. as soon as I turn aircon off it starts to mist.

Is your boot full of crap? A good flow of air through the car stops it misting up, a full boot can stop this.

That being said, those big bags of silica work for me and have done in quite a few of the previous cars I've owned.

Is your boot full of crap? A good flow of air through the car stops it misting up, a full boot can stop this.

That being said, those big bags of silica work for me and have done in quite a few of the previous cars I've owned.

No the boot is empty. Will get some silica once I know where to get some from. If I remember correctly I had some in my Clio as that used to mist up and it seemed to work.

This is easy, as you have had the air con on once you switch it off the windows will mist up. Next time you have misted up windows "when cold" clear them with just the heater and the air con off. Will take a bit longer but wont mist up so fast when you turn the fan off. I think the air con removes the moisture from the air when on and once switch off, the air then trys to put the moisture back into the air, hence misted windows starting were your vents are.

I've got two bags of Silica in my car. They've moved between cars that I've owned, it's a great trick if you have the room for them.

Had this problem on an old MG I owned it was something to do with the heater matrix if I remember correctly. Could be the same on the CTR but not 100% sure, something to look into I suppose.

This is easy, as you have had the air con on once you switch it off the windows will mist up. Next time you have misted up windows "when cold" clear them with just the heater and the air con off. Will take a bit longer but wont mist up so fast when you turn the fan off. I think the air con removes the moisture from the air when on and once switch off, the air then trys to put the moisture back into the air, hence misted windows starting were your vents are.

Forgot to say, this was my problem. Now I have done this, I don't get misted up windows anymore.

Cheers for the help.

I get the same issue, however; I do not have air con so driving when this happens really can be an issue. If I have the window open it seems to stop the problem but when I close it I have to have the blowers on the windows all the time. All well and good but then I get cold...

If it has a pollen filter (some cars didn't have one fitted, the slot is empty) check it isn't clogged and dirty.

If that's fine, you might have a boot full of stuff? Air is supposed to be able to flow through the cabin and out of vents at the back of the boot. Just make sure they aren't restricted.

If all that's fine put a big bag of silica in each door pocket. The ones that are the size of your fist. If you don't have any knocking about you can buy them on eBay. They need drying out in the oven every now and again but they work a treat.

Back