• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mixing grades of oil

Hi

I bought a ep3 CTR around 3 weeks ago, the guy who I bought it off didn't really know they drank a lot of oil but had been getting the oil changed regularly as the service schedule states. I recently checked the oil and found that it was lower then the low point on the dip stick and so I thought i would grab a litre of oil as soon as possible to top it up. Because I didn't know the type of oil that was already in the car I went a got 1 litre of some castrol fully synthetic 5w 30 oil just to top it up. Since then the car has been fine but I wanted to know if this was okay for the time being until I get round to buying 5L of some Fuchs 5w 40 race oil and doing a full oil change.

How long do you think I have before I should get the whole oil changed? and is Fuchs a good oil to go for?

okay so you think its pretty bad running two different grades of oil, the only thing i have noticed is that the vtec does hit so hard, maybe thats just me getting used to the car but it could be the oil. After looking at oil I think the Fuchs one is a bit too much so I was thinking of going for the Motul X-cess 5w 40 oil which is cheaper. What do you think Fuchs or Motul?

I'm not too sure about mixing oils, as I haven't done that. But be on the safe side, have your oil changed asap.

I've read some good reviews on Fuchs, that's my next oil to use, but right now I'm using castrol edge 5w40.

I haven't long bought mine and didn't know what oil previous owners were putting in, I bought it from a garage and I noticed mine was a little low so I used Castrol edge 0-30 fully just to top up and all run fine. It was only for the time being and should be o.k for now but yeah change your oil as soon as you can to be on the safe side.
I used forte advanced engine flush with mine to make sure most of the old oil had been flushed out then used Castrol edge 0-40 fully along with a hamp oil filter. My car is running lovely, smooth, responsive and quiet.

Its better than no oil should be fine but as above get it changed just to be on the safe side.

Personally if it was me i would get a new oil filter etc a wee mini service when i buy a new car but everyones different.

I have a question about this, i noticed my oil is just above the minimum mark so i went an ordered some Fuchs again however, its still not here! I have some Motul 8100 and some Gulf Competition (all 5w40 so same as the Fuchs) from my previous cars, would it be ok to top it up with that or do i just wait for the Fuchs to get here as i drive it daily and don't want anything going wrong.

I wouldnt mix oils inless really had to. But if you do its best to get a full oil change after your new oil comes.

^^^^ This, always try and use the same grade oils. I always use castrol 5w30, usually because Halfrauds have an offer on it occaisionally and I can stock up. But as Howie said, if you do need to mix it, mixed Oil is better than no Oil.

Back