• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Modding OEM ECU

Hey All,

Ive been toying with the idea of getting a K100 or K Pro ECU for a while now and always been put off by the little gains for alot of money e.g about 50 quid per BHP. Now ive spoken to one of my Mech mates about this and he is positive that one of his close friends is able to mod the OEM ECU in the EP3 and get me at least a 15% gain from it.

Does this sound feasible to any of you guys? I was always under the impression that you cant mod the OEM ECU......

Thanks

Do you know of any reason why not? Is it just that the OEM ECR doesnt posess the chip needed to report the figures back to the tuning program?

You cannot remap a standard ECU without an upgrade, be that K100, KPRO, AEM etc.

An ECU upgrade and remap wont give you much gains without supporting mods, but what it will do is transform how the power is delivered to the wheels.

What tom said is bang on. I bought a K100 reflash from CPL, base map for basic modifications and the car drove so much better power delivery lower down was the biggest difference. The lower v tec point made the high end power much more accessible aswell. The map improved even more once Paul at TDI North had mapped it.

N/A engines are notoriously expensive to tune to decent power figures. That's just somthing we have to accept unless you go down the charged route which is still expensive and you still need a K100 or Kpro for anyway. A cheaper option maybe a Dastek chip although when I bought a Dastek chip it worked out a lot more than expensive. I can't remember what I paid for it but a local ish Dastek tuner wanted £300+ to tune it.

Thanks for that guys. I have the exhaust and will be ordering a Tegiwa filter so shouldn't be restricted like a standard ep3. Ill see what the guy has to say, you never know, he may have a kpro or k100 laying around that he expects me to know to buy. Cheers for the info on a question that I am sure has been flogged to death now

You could get lucky, I know of two people who have bought second hand EP3's that have had a K100 installed and they were none the wiser until it came to getting it mapped. Its always worth checking.

Tarmacnymph's got a Kpro for sale still I think which you can alter/tune yourself I believe.

the CPL reflash route could be a decent option as you'll only have a exhaust and induction kit which is what's it's mapped for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back