• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Modify the FN2 or upgrade to DC5 / S2K / Similar

Morning guys / girls, first post here, but long time lurker. :)

About 8 months ago, a mate of mine wanted rid of his FN2 CTR, and I had a BMW 328Ci at the time which I quite liked, but it was a bit dull, and I started to have some engine problems. He offered me the FN2 for a good price, and from an initial test drive, I found I really liked the car and it took me back my older days - I used to have a 98-spec Integra Type-R, and the FN2 clearly shares the same DNA, albeit, a bit less raw, a bit more subtle, and with a bit more comfort.

That said, as I have got used to it, I have become somewhat dissatisfied with the low speed handling, the brakes don't feel as sharp as I would like and the engine doesn't quite feel as smooth as I would like, particularly when cold (this might be normal for all I know). The handling for example feels understeery until you pick the speed up, then it's quite a weapon, but it does seem a little too firm also for some of our bumpier B-roads.

I have begun to start thinking about changing the car. I've thought about all sorts, but I've put myself off them all in some ways, the thought process has been thus:-

1. BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0 - Possible future classic, nice looks, lovely straight-6 engine. However, expensive, doubts about handling (steering in particular) and expensive £9K+ realistically for a decent one, even if it does holds its value, which isn't guaranteed, its a fair amount to shell out, and I even heard some people describe them as "dull".

2. BMW 130i - Slightly cheaper to buy than the above, more practical, better steering, however, not exactly great to look at unless you can get a 2-door model and even then, and this I suspect would be "duller" than the Z4.

3. Nissan 350Z - Quite cheap to buy, awesome engine noise, fast, torquey, reliable, characterful. However, I've had one, so I know that the handling on these things isn't particularly great on the limit, they feel and are very heavy and the handling is a bit of a mess when you really press on. It's more of a lazy GT than anything else, but I do like to "hoon" occasionally and the Civic is much better for this. Fuel economy is poor too, realistically 18 MPG around town which is where I spend a fair bit of time (vs 24 in the Civic). £500 VED for later models.

4. Toyota MR2 Mk3 - Another cheap one to buy. Fairly economical, excellent handling. However, I'm not sold on the looks one little bit, and as standard, they are slow and the engine is tame. An option is to put a 2ZZ engine in however, at 4K for the conversion, they don't make sense unless you buy one done otherwise you're into Elise territory without the resale, and with big question marks over reliability (many sell them because of the niggles and you don't always know the history of the engine or the quality of the conversion).

5. Lotus Elise / VX220 - In terms of purity of drive, these are as good as it gets. However, you're into silly money for anything with a decent engine, and although they are guaranteed to keep their value and be fairly economical, the price of entry is very high, much more really than I was wanting to pay. Also I see them more as a second car, I'm not sure this would be appealing around town and in the winter. A bit too raw and uncompromising as an only car for me.

So there you go, I've just about managed to put myself off most of those cars in some ways.

I've actually started to think that maybe the FN2 is a really good all-rounder especially as an only car; it looks good, it (has the potential to) handle well, it has a fantastic engine that's as enjoyable as any for a vaguely sensible price (I'd argue better and more enjoyable than all of the above candidates bar the 6-pots), and frankly its fast enough. It ticks a lot of boxes. However, its not quite what I would like from a car.

So now I'm thinking of modifying it, but of course, there is a car that would seem to come out of the box that would be as good as a modded FN2 and that's the DC5.

There's also the S2000.

Does it make sense to stick with the devil you know and mod the FN2 or just sell up and get an S2K or DC5 ? I'm looking for a bit inspiration! I've already started on the path as I have a Flashpro and panel filter for the FN2 which makes it even better than it was but it still needs work. I've read the guides and come to the conclusion I could easily spend another £2k on it, but then I wouldn't get that bad if I were to sell it..... but then I do like it.

What would you folks do in my situation?

I was potentially looking at FRS, Eibachs / Coils, upgraded brakes, spacers for wheels, wheels finished in anthracite, black splitter, custom remap and possibly exhaust and filter, this would turn it into a car I could be happy with for a while, but then maybe I'd be happier with a DC5 or S2K out of the box (I'd be perfectly happy with any of these really). What do you think?

Look at the '57 FN2 thread in my signature. I went a bit too far in the end with it, but it will give you an idea. You can turn an FN2 into a properly responsive and agile car if you spend wisely.

I had just about done it the smart way this time except for the remap with my old CW FN2 recently, but then got the lust for something new and turbocharged, but that is different story.

Personally if you can, go and drive a DC5. They will feel a lot more basic inside as they are the same era as the EP3, and the newest ones you will find are 9 years old, but it is all down to what you want in a car. They are very very good out of the box, add on some Spoon or Eibach springs, FRSU and a remap (even on a standard car) and it will be a riot on the road.

S2000 is something completely different. Ask S2KIP (hopefully he'll be along soon). They are very quick out of the box but can be a bit of a handful until you sort out the geo and suspension. Rev to 9k as standard though, which is a bit mental if you think about it!

Loxy - that was a lovely car you had there, but there's no way on this planet I'd want to spend £13K on mods! Mental!

I'm one of these really indecisive people, never really truly happy, and its a nightmare. :twisted:

I bought a 98-spec DC2 back in 2006 and I had good luck with that overall, getting parts was a slight pain due to being an import, assume that'd be the same with the DC5.

S2000 kind of appeals because RWD (I like it) but then people say they're a little unforgiving, but then I used to own an MR2 Turbo, can't be any worse than that surely?! Also can I use the same Flashpro on the S2K lump?

Cheers. Yeah, like I said I did go over the top a bit.

DC5s don't seem to be that bad for parts. A lot of stuff is shared mechanically with the EP3, but panels and glass etc seen to be easy enough to get hold of, but you might just have to wait while it comes over from Japan.

If you get a later S2000 that has a DBW throttle, then they use Flashpro but it is a different one than is used on the FN2/FD2 unfortunately!

Ah thats a bummer about the Flashpro on the S2k but not totally unexpected given its a completely different engine.

I also thought about the JDM EP3. Or another DC2 but they're getting on a bit now (would want the UK spec now as well as had the JDM before, might be a bit better for UK roads).

Have to say, having done an awful lot of reading since I started this thread, I find myself heavily leaning towards the S2K.

I could sink 3K in the FN2, but if I don't love it after that, it's completely dead money and being honest, I still fancy a RWD car.

The DC5 looks nice but after having the DC2, I think it might attract too much of the wrong attention around here (I was very nearly mugged for the DC2), and again, its just more of the same really.... The DC2 was a class car, but the way people talk about some of the differences between say an FN2 and a DC5 or EP3 make you think they are completely different, but I didn't think they were really, yes the 'tegs are better but not to the degree some make out (but like I say I've only driven the DC2).

The S2000, well, I can't really see many downsides. For the price difference I'd fork out would see me in a nice early one or a slightly later one with higher miles. Its RWD. It's a convertible. OK probably no quicker but as I said, not bothered. Also I can insure it for < £250 which is less than I'm paying for the FN2!

If you can deal with the practicality issues that the S2000 has then there isn't much better for the money for an all out sports car. It's great out of the box, just make sure all the suspension is good, such as geo and seized bolts. Then give the brakes a good service and you have a hell of a car.

The later cars are less skittish on the limit however this is said to dull them down a little; some prefer this, some don't. All I could advise is to try and drive both a pre 04 and a post 04, but make sure they're good examples. An S2000 with poor geo will feel pretty awful. But most of it can be changed with the use of anti roll bars and geo setup.

Final note, make sure it's got decent tyres on. An S2000 with anything else than premium tyres will feel pretty poor.

Thanks S2KIP. The thought of edgy cars doesn't bother me, so I am happy to go for an earlier one really. My research confirms what you say about geo and tyres; hopefully the geo won't take as much faffing about with as on the FN2 with its FRSU.

I would have liked an Elise, but the cost of entry is high, it would be horrible to live with 6 months of the year and my lass probably wouldn't be able to get in and out (dodgy knees), also the S2000 would seem to have a far stronger engine and less high maintenance.

We've got a Corsa for "semi-practical" duties so it doesn't need to be practical at all as long as it can fit some shopping in the boot or enough clothes and stuff to take away on a weekend away, which it will (I managed fine with a Mk1 MX5, my MR2T and my 350Z Roadster).

Going to wait until after winter mind...

Be careful with the S2000, especially earlier ones. The adjustment bolts for the geo can seize inside the bushes. Sometimes they have to be cut out, so it's a fair amount of work and it isn't cheap to replace them. You can easily run into four figures sorting it out, so I wouldn't consider an earlier car unless this work has been done or checked. If the seller of the car knows nothing about it then I would ask that a proper four wheel alignment is carried out prior to you viewing, any decent garage will soon know if anything is seized or not.

If you wait till after winter then values will rise beyond what they are now as the summer tax is applied. Also be weary of rust in the engine bay, lower subframe at the front and rear arches. They're getting on now, after all.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll keep a look out for that.

Main reason waiting until next year is I'm effectively in negative equity - I owe about £1k roughly more than what I believe I will be able to sell it for, so unless the difference will be greater I'll still be better off waiting?

Shame I hadn't been in a position to buy, this one caught my eye and looks like it had the geo done....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi.../s2000-60k-miles--cherished-early-car/4638267

Wow, prices are crazy. That's £400 less than I paid for my 2006 car with less miles. :D

Does the 2004 onwards UK S2000 only have an 8,000 rpm limit? I'm reading a review that says this but not sure if this is for overseas market as not a UK site.

No, that's US only. All the UK ones have the 9000 rpm limit and are AP1's contrary to popular belief.

Hi there - I've read your thread and can offer some hopefully useful thoughts on it...

I had a MY 2006 S2000 for three years and now have a 2010 FN2 I've sunk six grand into over three years in an attempt to make it as good as the S2000 was!

Having gone in the opposite direction to the one you're considering, I can say the S2000 is brilliant (really miss it sometimes - it was gorgeous on a sunny day in summer) but don't automatically rule out modding your FN2.

The S2000 is dead easy to live with day to day, but in less than ideal conditions I found it needed a bit of care, even after a proper set-up from Center Gravity (as S2KIP says - a good set-up is vital). The FN2 is far more forgiving near the limit in my experience and more confidence inspiring for someone like me who isn't blessed with Senna-esque skills.

As for tuning, I closely followed Loxy's excellent guide to modding the FN2 (thanks for that!) and am dead happy with the results now I've got to about 240BHP with cams etc. The car is noticeably faster than the S2000 was in straight lines and you can get really excellent torque figures from the K20 that are more difficult (as far as I know!) to get out of the S2000's F Series motor. It has made my FN2 easier to drive without ragging its nuts off everywhere!

Handling wise, the S2000 is lovely and I don't buy into this numb steering business I've read everywhere about it. But with springs and a set-up the FN2 isn't too shabby. With a diff (my last mod about to get done - at last!) it's said to be even better.

The FN2 is also considerably cheaper to run (if that matters to you). Post 2006 models like mine were top bracket tax and so roughly twice the price of the FN2. Plus mine ate rear tyres every 6-7,000 miles and did 24mpg. The FN2 is kinder on itself at 12,000 miles on a set of Good Years and 28mpg, plus longer service intervals.

Interior wise - again, if such things matter - the FN2 is a bit prettier but rattles a lot more (the S2000 felt more solid inside) Having said that, the S2000's rev gauge is sensational and the driving position perfect (for me at 6ft 1in).

Anyway, I hope this has been some small help to you. Whichever route you choose, you're going to end up with a brilliant car at the end of it. If you're anywhere near the Midlands and would like to see what a 240BHP FN2 is like I'll take you out in it.

Cheers, Tom

Yeah just to add to the above, you can't just get in an S2000 and drive it hard like you can with an FN2 or something similar. They require a bit more concentration but are more rewarding as a result.

Hi Tom, I read your reply when I originally wrote it and again just now. It's what I may end up doing after all. After going through many different thoughts of many different cars, I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that the FN2 might not be the best at any one thing on its own, but it is a bloody good compromise in most areas. It feels bomb proof and frankly its worth next to nowt. Its not in the best cosmetic condition but its in rude mechanical health and so I can leave it places and not worry. When I actually use the thing properly, it's a hoot. In reality I don't really use it enough properly to justify getting another £5k in debt for something that will not get used any more than this does!

So, I'm thinking just keeping it and spending a few quid on honing the driving experience. I've got the Flashpro, and a panel filter, I'm guessing FRSU would be a good place to start (is it really worth it to get eibachs?) and that would be good enough for now, wear the brakes out and get some decent pads and fluid in there, and perhaps an exhaust and remap IF it's worth it; I slightly spoiled my old DC2 by putting a cat back on it where it droned out the induction noise; on the subject of the remap, it already feels quite strong with the Group N map as is. Is another £400 or so worth it?

Hi TRD,

Glad you're keeping the FN2 - I think you're right that it's a good compromise in most areas.

Regarding the FRSU, it's one of the first things I did and I didn't bother with Eibach springs first time around. Don't make the same mistake I did and get them done there and then! It saves another labour bill later on. The 15mm ones I went for make the car a lot better, both when pushing on and when pottering about. It's noticeably more comfortable.

As for the brakes, some decent discs are an upgrade along with pads, fluid and braided hoses. I found Stoptech discs were great along with Ferodo DS2500s.

I too don't really like loud exhausts so went with a second hand HKS Legamax from a forum member. It's pretty quiet when you want it to be and doesn't drown out the HKS RSK. Perfect match for me.

If you've got Flashpro and are happy with the Group N map then you're all good. I think the map allows for an induction kit and cat-back without issues - I ran that set-up briefly. After getting an exhaust manifold, though, I went for an etune from Vit and it was well worth the £106 the map cost at the time. An etune might be a good road to go down if you want to save a few quid? And for £400 or so you'd get an exhaust and the map.

If you haven't seen this (sure you will have done) http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?83004-Money-well-spent-mods-for-the-FN2 then have a read. I've followed this advice and it's nailed on...

T

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again mate, I'll defo go for the Eibachs then. The etune sounds good if its only a hundred odd quid, might smooth it out a little which would be good as it does have a little flat spot around the point of VTEC engagement. I'd only want an exhaust if it gave a slightly deeper tone but definitely nothing loud, this car is all about the induction noise for me.

Back