• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Modifying my CTR

I am looking to get a little more power from my 04' CTR and have a few questions.

My car has just hit 20,000 miles. I have been told not to make any modifications as the engine is still young and the mods may cause damage. Is this true?

What are the best cost effective mods that i can do on a CTR with insurance, fuel consumption and cost in mind? I am not looking to turn it into a 350bhp monster (yet):smt047 so a small power increase would be great.

Also...

I am very keen to find a Mugen front grill, bonnet and rear spoiler. Are there two different types as i have seen some that fit straight away (after spraying) and some that need a lot of tinkering.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't imagine it can cause any damage to your car.. i'm at about 15,000 miles and about to start addin some mods.... http://www.funkypower.co.uk/ is a good site for checkin out stuff. as for insurance costs don't know i imagine it depends on insurer

Hi i have a few suggestions depending on what you want to spend.

1 Gruppe M Induction kit £370. (worth it) or you could go for AEM (not k&n typhoon) Lots of pros and cons with the AEM so do some research.
2 Decent exhaust i.e Mugen twin loop (matter of personal choice and opinion) but it sounds really sweet. You can pick up a 2nd had twin loop for approx 400 and its not just a back box.
Check out unit 8 performance see what you like and then try to find it second hand. There is load more stuff like a manifold K100/Kpro, etc but then your heading for big bucks lol hope this give you an idear :lol:

Great stuff, Looked at the AEM induction kit the other day. Looks nice as well. I have found a Mugen kit which looks interesting, the websites that sell these nether show any performance figures wich doesn't help!

What do you think of these?

Blitz NUR

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=449007674

Mugen Induction Kit

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=449007726

Mugen High Pressure Radiator Cap

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=449007712

My car has just hit 20,000 miles. I have been told not to make any modifications as the engine is still young and the mods may cause damage. Is this true?

sounds like rubish...

What are the best cost effective mods that i can do on a CTR with insurance, fuel consumption and cost in mind? I am not looking to turn it into a 350bhp monster (yet):smt047 so a small power increase would be great.
air intake (AEM CAI/Injen CAI/Gruppe M)
Kpro/K100. (ECU remap)
Exhaust doesn't bring much on the EP3, not without changing the manifold anyway.

Also...

I am very keen to find a Mugen front grill, bonnet and rear spoiler. Are there two different types as i have seen some that fit straight away (after spraying) and some that need a lot of tinkering.

Thanks in advance.
Tinkering is usually happening if you buy a prefacelift Mugen kit and try to fit on a facelift. few months ago it was very hard to find replica facelift Mugen kits, which is why people tried to adapt the pre-facelift kits on our facelift cars.

The blitz NUR spec is a nice and loud exhaust. 60mm ID so good flow.
The Mugen air intake on the EP3 is an expensive option with pretty poor gains. If you spend that much you might as well get a GruppeM, a much better intake.
That rad cap is useful. However I found out recently that you should uprate your hoses as you get more pressure/temperature in your coolant circuit. I personally havent uprated the hoses and have used a Spoon rad cap (same rating as the Mugen though) for years.

my type r's an 05 with 19k and over 300 bhp :D honda's are really strong engines :D

as said first mod should be the gruppe m... lots of money but well worth it :D

Is this what you all mean by the Gruppe M Induction kit?

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalog...level2=INDUCTION+KITS&level3=&id_product=3551

Can anyone aswer this for me...

If i purchase the manifold, exhaust and induction kit, will i need an ECU remap and how much will this effect fuel consumtion?

That is indeed the famous Gruppe M that everyone bangs on about. :D

If you buy all of those aftermarket gubbins, you don't need a remap, you car will run fine, probably better than before. You will find however, that if you do get a new ECU (IIRC you cannot remap the standard ECU) Then you will get better performance from your mods than with the standard ECU. Hondata are the manufacturer of choice, with the "Kpro" being the all singing, all dancing ECU.

There is bucket loads about all of the above on the forum, so I would suggest if you're planning to go down this route, to have a thorough read.

On a side note, if you plan on buying said bits for your car, "Funkypower", although competitive, is not the only company out there. Have a look in the traders section. "Unit 8" offer a lot of parts and "Vtec Direct" cater especially for Honda's.

HTH

If you buy all of those aftermarket gubbins, you don't need a remap, you car will run fine, probably better than before. You will find however, that if you do get a new ECU (IIRC you cannot remap the standard ECU) Then you will get better performance from your mods than with the standard ECU. Hondata are the manufacturer of choice, with the "Kpro" being the all singing, all dancing ECU.

K-Pro is actually a daughter board that you add to your own ECU and which gives you access to remapping facilities and more.

Have you had any experience insureing these type of mods? I will check out Unit 8 and Vtech Direct.

So which is right? Is the Kpro an ECU or mod to the original ECU?

Thanks

if you do want a gruppe m dont get it from the uk traders as its propper expensive, i got mine direct from japan for 370. let me know and i will give you the link for it

Yeah thats the GruppeM kit, but their price is pretty steep, far cheaper to order it direct from GruppeM in japan, there's a how to in the induction section further down the main page:)

With an exhaust and intake you won't need a remap but with a manifold fitted then it's advisory to get one a) to make use of the mods as the manifold isn't anywhere near as effective without being mapped to suit and b) the manifold will make the car run lean possibly leading to long term damage if the map isn't changed to suit:)

Dont you guys get bored saying the same things over and over?

No disrespect to anyone, but someone will be asking the same questions within a week or so

I don`t know where you get the patience guys.

You must be Vietnam vets or something

Dont you guys get bored saying the same things over and over?

No disrespect to anyone, but someone will be asking the same questions within a week or so

I don`t know where you get the patience guys.

You must be Vietnam vets or something

Thats why I don't post on CTRO as you can have the same question posted 5 times on the same page, people are lazy and don't read.

Have you had any experience insureing these type of mods? I will check out Unit 8 and Vtech Direct.

So which is right? Is the Kpro an ECU or mod to the original ECU?

Thanks

Kpro is a modification to your original ECU or you can wait for a complete Kpro'd ECU to appear for sale so you can keep yours as OEM and fit the Kpro, you will need to get your keys recoded at a dealer for the 2nd hand ECU to work though due to the immobiliser.

Back