• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Molysip in Type-R gear boxes - is it worth doing?

Dear all,

I've just recently purchased a Type-R (54 Reg) and have been recommended by some people to put Molyslip for Gear Box in order to protect the gear box and allow for more smoother gear shifting (as sometimes the gears stick). The gear box hasn't been modified in anyway from from what I know - it's just the standard Type R gear box.

I spoke with my local garage and they said it may not actually be worth doing! It's also going to require the whole gear box oil to be drained and replaced and they'll mix the Molyslip adhesive into the new oil and they reckon overall it's just not a good idea.

My question is - has anyone done this before and did they think it was worth the expense? Did it make a significant difference to the gear shifting and lifeline of the gearbox?

Would appreciate any feedback on this peeps :D

Mohs

Thanks dude - haps to be part of the owners club! Good thing I asked the question about Molyslip - the garage recommended I do a bit more research before going ahead. Thanks for the valuable feedback. Again, if anyone has done it and thinks it's a good idea - would love you to hear from ya!

Mohs

Cheers dude - look forward to hearing from him! I think if Molyslip can actually work for Type-R gearboxes - it'll defo benefit all of us because on gearboxes where it does work - it does help the gearbox in about a million ways!

As said in prev posts here, just change the gearbox oil BUT ONLY put in HONDA MTF fluid as that seems to be the best one. I've tried castrol MTF before and it makes it 'notchy' so changed back to Honda MTF and all is fine again. I also go on track with my car quite alot and the Honda MTF is very good and never gives problems so it's deffo up to the job.
HTH.

Back