• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

more steering turns left than to the right..car drives sh)t

As said in the above title when the steering wheel is straight inside my car (going on the H being straight) i have just over 1 and a 1/2 turns to the right and from straigh to full lock left i have 1 and a 1/4 turns!

i've recently just had a new rack fitted so it's not been centred properly!
when im driving the car it just drives horrible to be honest, thats with meister r coliovers, fast road set up, and a quaiffe lsd!

it's ok on turn in like when going round a rounabout etc, it's just driving in a straight line the car is all over the place,

could the rack not being centred properly have something to do with why it drives so bad?

ive had 4 different eps racks in my car now, this was due to me thinking everytime the rack was at fault, however im beginning to think differently now as i no the rack i have in now is perfect! yet the car drives terrible!

To sort this out obviously the steering column will need taking apart from the where it joins onto the rack and adjusting/centering to suit, then it'll need the tracking done as the steering wheel will be on the pi$s!

anyone else ever had this problem, any advice folks would be much appreciated :thumbup:

i'm beginning to not like driving my car at the minute to be honest :bad-words:

I would take it back to where it was fitted and explain the situation sometimes the fix is simple and easy. it sounds as if they didn't install the steering wheel in the correct orientation and compensated with the tracking. have a look at the rack just behind the engine, line the wheels and steering wheel in the straight position and measure the slider (the part where the steering rods connect in the centre) end to end of its travel and determine how far the slider needs to move to centre. move steering wheel until the slider is perfectly centred, remove steering wheel and re-attach in the correct straight position. take to Mr mechanic to set your tracking to the steering wheel.

but I doubt having the steering rack in the wrong orientation to the steering wheel would have much if any affect on the handling, it would just limit your turning circle in one direction and boost the other.

It does sound more on the lines of poor suspension set-up or incorrect toe in toe out and camber. good luck with it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply dude, i have had fast road set up on the car which is- toeing out by 1mm front- neutral toe rears along with -1 degree of camber fronts and rear!

it was set up at by a well known tuning company to there fast road specs and another company fitted the rack (again another well known tuning company) yet it still drives like ****!

who can you trust these days!

It may not be down to the parts you have had fitted, if anything your handling should be spot on. are you certain nothing else is causing the problem like a faulty damper. are you running aftermarket wheels with a higher offset to oem wheels?

could you explain what the car actually does?

It may not be down to the parts you have had fitted, if anything your handling should be spot on. are you certain nothing else is causing the problem like a faulty damper. are you running aftermarket wheels with a higher offset to oem wheels?

could you explain what the car actually does?

yeah i do have aftermarket wheels, i've got some rota's in 17's in 7.5

the car just seems to drive horrible, like if im driving in a straight line it feels like the car's sort of swaying from side to side ( i can feel it through the steering wheel) and if i overtake something and cut back in it's just twitchy as fook,

also when driving in a straight line if i just turn the steering wheelever so slightly to either left or right then it feels like theres nothing that responds from the car, like for instance im turning the steering wheel but the wheels dont turn?

im going to get my steering wheel centred properly and put my oem rims back on to see if that helps!

only just had it supercharged but i cant enjoy the extra power at the minute......... :-(

It is a shame that you're not able to enjoy your new mods. as you say having the steering centred and swapping the wheels back to oem is a good starting point. with all that extra power do you think the LSD it cutting in early or even getting stuck on after overtaking giving odd handling characteristics?

It is a shame that you're not able to enjoy your new mods. as you say having the steering centred and swapping the wheels back to oem is a good starting point. with all that extra power do you think the LSD it cutting in early or even getting stuck on after overtaking giving odd handling characteristics?

i dont no with regards to the diff and all as i'd have thought it'd help make the car feel more planted, it certainly helps with preventing wheel spin lol, like you say though it could be a factor making my car feel like it's handleing weird when i gofor the overtake!!

well on saturday im going to get the rack properly centralised so the steering turns either way are equal, then i'll change back to oem wheels!

thanks for your help mate.....much appreciated .........:)

In regards to turning the steering wheel and nothing happening, it could be a case of worn suspension bushes. Which could also be giving you the sloppy ride.

Back