• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT and Tax run out on same day...

hi guys hope you can help me!

My tax and MOT run out on the same day, i.e. the 31st of july.

i cant tax it without having the MOT valid, just tried but it wont let me, as the tax would start on the 1st of august, 1 day after my current MOT runs out.

so my question is, i can get my car booked in for an MOT tomorrow, but say it Fails its MOT i still wont be able to tax it.
so then i will have 10 days to re-book it for its MOT. so there will be a few days where i will have to drive my car with NO tax becuase theres no way to TAX it.

so any ideas on what should i do?

the best senario would be for my car to pass its mot tomorrow so i can tax it before the TAX runs out, but im not very confident in that atall lol

The earliest date you can mot and the expiry date are different. I think you can mot a month before the expiry IIRC.

In that case, you will have to get in asap for the mot. Hope the car passes (you seem doubtful). Then take the certificate along with valid insurance to the post office (the old fashion way). I would absolutly not drive without valid tax/insurance/mot. Sods law you'll get caught.

Do a pre check on your car mot wise, ie all lights working etc, don't fail on anything you could have checked yourself prior to test,,l

Do a pre check on your car mot wise, ie all lights working etc, don't fail on anything you could have checked yourself prior to test,,l

im confident that it will pass on lights etc, its just my engine light is one, with code p0420 wich is to do with emmissions, so abit concerned with that part!

Back