• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT failed on handbrake efficiency

the reading was 14 percent.

is this expensive to sort out? The car is due to be repaired at Mr clutch and iI am just wondering what the maximum bill could be?

Could readjusting it manually myself help the situation or is it much more serious?

iI do feel u have to pull the handbrake quite high for it to hold the wheels.

thanks

The handbrake adjuster is under the plastic surrounding the handbrake. Its a 2 minute job if you remove the rear of the centre console.

That was probably the worst description ever. Luckily I have a photo of it. Its 1 nut behind the handbrake, IIRC its 3 nuts on the the same thread.

04032012095.jpg

Mine initially failed on this aswell. It's the caliper that was seized on mine as the cables always pulled up un even so adjusting as described above made little difference, I just worked the piston in and out and sprayed plenty of oil about to free things up, after a while the adjustment was better and locked the wheel enough to pass, a new rear caliper is around £120 from eBay so if a garage was doing the work I would say you would be looking at around £200 if they use new parts.

Hopefully just adjusting the cable will get you through.

Regards
Baz

Back