• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

mpg question

gbl

I am really strapped until I get paid on Thursday (I have no cash what so ever. I have about a quarter of a tank left in my ep3 and I have about 96 miles to drive between now and then. What are my chances on making it?

BTW my journeys consist of about 5 miles of country driving (hills and sharp bends etc) 15 miles of the A6 to drive and 2 miles of Carlisle to drive

Not looking so good, I wouldn't be able to do it unless is was 40/50mph motorway and no braking/accelerating etc.
Can you not get a sub or borrow some cash, I would like to chance it

hopefully I can barrow a fiver of a mate at work. One thing that puzzles me about the fuel gauge in the ep3 is that when its full it seems to stay full for a couple of days then it just drops like a stone. I have always found that odd. Now the guy who had it before me only did 3000 miles a year and I do 12000 could it be that somethings got screwy because of the difference in millage?

Not sure both of my ep3s fuel gauges have been similar to that, as have other cars.
Stays above full/full for 60miles then goes rather fast to 3/4 full. Slowly, slowly to 1/2 full. then just steady decline usually depending how hard im driving.
Wont be anything to do with the annual mileage. I shouldn't worry

Don't gamble. Mine goes from what looks like a third of the bottom half of the gauge (a sixth, I know) to reserve light in no time at all.

Sent using Tapatalk

The reason fuel gauges give readings like that, ie, full for ages then drops suddenly, is due to the shape of the fuel tank. Most have a wide top with a rapid taper to the bottom, then the bottom of the tank will also have a very large radius around it from where its pressed, resulting in not as much room in the bottom half of a tank as the top half.

You've maybe 40-50 miles driving it like a granny once the petrol light comes on.

Yes. I already said this on the MPG thread, but in the manual Honda say that the reserve is 1.7 gallons. So if light is exactly spot on, in mixed driving conditions you would expect up to fifty miles before it starts spluttering. I've done about thirty after the light came on, but didn't see any point in testing it further.

The reason fuel gauges give readings like that, ie, full for ages then drops suddenly, is due to the shape of the fuel tank. Most have a wide top with a rapid taper to the bottom, then the bottom of the tank will also have a very large radius around it from where its pressed, resulting in not as much room in the bottom half of a tank as the top half.

It has nothing to do with the shape of the tank.

The reason why the needle doesn't move very quickly for the first half tank compared to the second half which seems to go a lot quicker is because fuel gauges (sender units) aren't a linear device, therefore can't give out linear readings. It is actually a problem that people want to solve, but currently there is not a realistic way to do so. I've tried it :smt017

Back