• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 MPG

Hi guys

I'm from South Africa, so we use L/100Km as a measure of fuel consumption. On highway/open road driving the best I've gotten in my FN2 Type R was 8.7 l/100km and in town it is sometimes around the 14 l/100km mark. Generally I average just over 12 l/100km with primarily town driving. These include various driving styles: some granny driving, some thrashing, but mostly 2000rpm - 4000rpm normal driving.

I'm not too familiar with the MPG measurement, but I seem to be getting a lot less distance off my fuel than the rest of the contributors on this thread if my calculations are correct. Basically I get about 280 miles off a full 50 litre tank.

My car is still only 2 months old (4500km / 2813miles on the clock) and the consumption seems to be getting better over time. All this raises 2 questions:

1. Will my car's consumption better with time (I've heard the FN2's K20 is only properly loosensed by 20 000km/12500miles)?
2. Is South Africa's fuel worse than what ou guys get in the UK and could that be a reason for my poor consumption?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys

Re my previous post

I just found a decent converter on the web:

8.7/l/100km = 32.4 mpg
14l/100km = 20.1 mpg

Not that hard on track, my DC2 would do less than 10mpg on track with no major effort:lol:

:lol:

When I first posted that, I paused for a second and thought I could remember a conversation with you at JAE about this, but I posted it anyway :p .

:lol:

At Snetterton my FN2 trip computer was showing 8mpg, in the afternoon session:eek:

I didn't work out how much fuel I actually used though.

6098 miles since picked mine up and never reset trip A so showing 28.8 mpg.

Most I have had out of it was 340 miles from a tank, however i was sat on M6 at 50 mph for that week.

round town out of usual tank I get circa 240-280 miles.

Recently with real cold weather its been less, but overall not a bad return.

10 mths left on the lease then i have to choose another car :(:D, thinking o7 plate or newer 330d, as standard old engine does 0-60 6.7, and new one does 0-60 in 6.1. However with a remap your sitting pretty at 274-285 bhp 600+ nm torque, and times roughly 5.3-5.6 to 60mph. :D 30+ mpg to lol

Now that the weather has gone colder I'm only getting about 26mpg to and from work (5 miles each way).....

Mines a bit less than that now Neil...winter tyres FTL!

I'm onto 11.6 litres per 100km...about 24mpg. I even took the Piper off in prep for a forking cold winter out here!

im getting 27mpg which is making me happier lol but that is driving like an old woman. most of my driving is in a city so stop start etc, still over the moon *** lol

Still only 300miles on my new type R . Been to India for two weeks so still trying to get some mileage on the clock. MPG has gone from 37 on first drive home to 28 on my 3mile commute to work. Still better than the 20mpg I got out of the RX8.

I didnt mind the 20 mpg as much as the £420 road stealth tax.When I heard the tax was increasing to £435 I decided it had to go.Its been on sale at motordepot since the start of November at £9960 so doesnt look like they will sell it soon. Shame because we loved that car and hopefully will feel the same when the type R is run in and the weather improves

I always got upto 250 miles a tank in the CTRs.
I am getting 22MPG out the the beemer at the moment. I did manage 28mpg on a long run [on B roads].

Finally got my 1st 1000 miles on the clock n have averaged 27mpg since november.Recently on a run across the M 62 I decided to use the cruise control to improve the economy and soon turned it off. My mpg dropped from 34 to 31 and then back to 34 after turning it back off. These systems are supposed to improve mpg but looks like Honda still need to do more work on them. Has anyone else noticed this ? I can only compare the Civics system with a volvo trucks one and theres improves economy a lot. Loving the car now the roads are drying out a bit .

The cruise control is awesome in mine and as far as i can tell doesn't effect economy but I can't see how you could have it on long enough (ie a full tank worth) to really find out....

When I was commuting 100 miles a day, I got much worse economy with cruise control on, as it would constantly be opening the throttle on hills etc to stop you losing just 1 MPH of speed. Its different for everyone obviously but I always get better economy with it turned off.

Just had mine for a week now and have got 298 and 329 out of a tank, averaging around 33 mpg, my previous car was a diesel C5 which gave around mid 50's but it didn't sound like a Type R and the 0-60 was in weeks rather then seconds!

Back