• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 MPG

So what is everyone getting?

600 miles in and overall creeped up to 21mpg! It has got better the last 200 miles.

Used purely for fun, all road mileage.

Matt

I am a firm believer in seeing what fuel consumption my car is currently achieving on a tank by tank basis.....I have never understood people who let their mileage run into the thousands without resetting the fuel computer. Not sure if this is even possible with the FK8.
Fuel consumption will start to increase slightly as the engine loosens up from new and also in the warmer Summer months, so if you keep a running average you are not seeing a true reflection on what your car is currently achieving.
My weekly average as reported by the fuel computer varies between 27 - 31mpg on my 16 mile round trip commute. On a longer journey I have seen 40mpg.

Fuel is definitely worse on the FK8 over the FK2. I achieved a regular 35-40 with a max of 46mpg on the FK2. Averaging 29-32 with a max of 36 so far on the FK8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel is definitely worse on the FK8 over the FK2. I achieved a regular 35-40 with a max of 46mpg on the FK2. Averaging 29-32 with a max of 36 so far on the FK8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will still be loosening up yet though.

I am a firm believer in seeing what fuel consumption my car is currently achieving on a tank by tank basis.....I have never understood people who let their mileage run into the thousands without resetting the fuel computer. Not sure if this is even possible with the FK8.
Fuel consumption will start to increase slightly as the engine loosens up from new and also in the warmer Summer months, so if you keep a running average you are not seeing a true reflection on what your car is currently achieving.
My weekly average as reported by the fuel computer varies between 27 - 31mpg on my 16 mile round trip commute. On a longer journey I have seen 40mpg.

I don't use the trip computer they are notoriously out of sync, put it all on a spreadsheet.

A bit over 3000 miles here, my average is 25 MPG, lowest 23 and highest 31 (the day I took it from Hertfordshire to Shropshire). Most of my driving is on B-roads and I try to enjoy the car. Upside is that I never get brake squeal (well, except that week with snow, it was ****ing annoying to wait until the snow/ice cleared to "clean" the brakes).

Highest 30.02
Lowest 22.90
Average 26.14

V-Power only

Just have to remember that I need to fill the tank before the start of any long journey.

8000 miles ~32mpg

.....and (while you take this with a huge pinch of salt) I sat on ACC at 70mph on the drive home yesterday from the Reading Mothership back to Saffron Walden along the motorways and the dash reported a very healthy 43mpg. :smt023

I’m planning to keep this car for a while, so running it in gently.... which is my excuse for what follows....
150miles done, and on my commute last night (22 miles on a mixture of A-roads and motorway with some congestion which slowed top speed) I achieved 36.7mpg according to the dashboard.

Yes, I’m ashamed.

N.

I’m planning to keep this car for a while, so running it in gently.
I achieved 36.7mpg according to the dashboard.
Yes, I’m ashamed.
First of all well done you for driving your brand new car with respect. :) Most people nowadays have no mechanical sympathy for cars, which I think is partly due to a lack of understanding....but probably mainly due to the majority buying on PCP so they never actually own the car and it's always under warranty. :hide:

No need to be ashamed....in fact you should be commended. :) An indicated 40mpg average is perfectly achievable with this car over an entire longer distance journey with a mixture of roads if you drive it with economy in mind....which for those that think otherwise does not mean driving slowly. ;)

I'm of the camp that believes that an engine needs to be run using a wide range of revs at different intervals in different gears up and down hills, sitting on the motorway at 70mph is not doing the engine any favours, how ever revving the nuts off it from day 1 isn't sensible. I bed my engine in within 500 miles, now happy to use full revs, engine feels really sweet and the getting a bit more throaty.

I'm of the camp that believes that an engine needs to be run using a wide range of revs at different intervals in different gears up and down hills...

Yep. I agree. I’ve had cars with a strictly prescribed 1200 mile running in period, so am taking a leaf out of that book and plan to do this (currently at 180miles):
Gentle inputs for the first 200 miles, avoid crappy surfaces (where possible) ie reduce mechanical shocks
Suspension in comfort mode to ensure full travel
200-500 explore rev range more, gradually lift self imposed rev ceiling, but make a point of spending time at that ceiling in various gears. Spend time in +R mode.
Remember to let the car cool down after high revving sets.

Then consider doing the brake bedding in routine referred to elsewhere on this forum
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

That is, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

N.

I'm of the camp that believes that an engine needs to be run using a wide range of revs at different intervals in different gears up and down hills...

Yep. I agree. I’ve had cars with a strictly prescribed 1200 mile running in period, so am taking a leaf out of that book and plan to do as follows (I’m currently at 180miles):
Gentle inputs for the first 200 miles, avoid crappy surfaces (where possible) ie reduce mechanical shocks
Suspension in comfort mode to ensure full travel
200-500 miles: explore rev range more, gradually lift self imposed rev ceiling, but make a point of spending time at that ceiling in various gears. Spend time in +R mode.
Remember to let the car cool down after high revving sets.

Then consider doing the brake bedding in routine referred to elsewhere on this forum
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

That is, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

N.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm of the camp that believes that an engine needs to be run using a wide range of revs at different intervals in different gears up and down hills, sitting on the motorway at 70mph is not doing the engine any favours, how ever revving the nuts off it from day 1 isn't sensible. I bed my engine in within 500 miles, now happy to use full revs, engine feels really sweet and the getting a bit more throaty.

:smt023

Did a mix of A roads and more A roads. Some motorway some town.

I have seen 39.6 on the first 15 miles of my commute to work. Then I hit the traffic and it drops to 29-32. I am still averaging 33 at 5500 miles.

Back