• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My 02 CTR

So I snagged me a CTR, for the nice sum of £2,200. Full history, two owners, high miles though at just short of 170K. But feels completely awesome still as the two previous owners have only really used it on motorways throughout it's life. Literally everything has been done at the dealers - including wiper blades, mental!

How she appeared on the advert
q9vX0.jpg

Looks shiny? It's not really, literally had no gloss to the paintwork in a number of places.
Spent a day and half cleaning the outside, pulled best part of a fields worth of mud from the rear arches.
Wish I had taken some pictures, but will do next time.
Decontaminated as follows:
Snowfoamed, BH Surfex for the lowers and Bilberry for the wheels - though they are shot and in need of refurb.
Washed by hand with Dodo Juice Sour Power Shampoo
Clayed with BH Soft Autoclay
Set about declouding the paintwork with my DA machine and a number of polishes/pad combinations - not a full correction, just a gloss pass and smoothing of some marks.
Finished up with Dodo Lime Prime by hand and Meguiars Ultimate Wax.

Day two was interior, cleaned all the nooks and crannies, removed the silicon finish (yuck!) from the dash which was holding more dust than anything.
Seats cleaned with Raceglaze Alcantara cleaner, brushed and shaved (De-bobbler thing from Argos LOL).
Windows all cleaned with Carlack glass polish and sealed
Trim finished with Meguiars Ultimate Trim
All rubbers treated with Gummi Pflege

Then on with some mechanical fixes:

New wiper blades, how the previous owner seen out in the rain is beyond me, literally not cleaning anything with them. New set of flat wipers from Halfords and a Bosch rear sorted that

The rear discs, this is what greeted me when inspecting the screatching rear...
6QZvJ.jpg

Errm, yes, that's not quite right. Looks like the caliper had seized at some point destroying the back of the disk and the pad down to the metal.
So a bit of time later and we have these:
dhmfW.jpg

Much better!

Minor Mods to Start with:
52zvr.jpg

ready for the suspension change. Some D2 rear camber arms and Eibach bolts for the fronts. Not on yet, waiting on my coilovers...

D8QpN.jpg

T7hdo.jpg

Fixing up the state the dashboard has been left in, I guess whoever fitted the stereo had a go at levering the entire dashboard out!
Digs and marks all over the place and the paint was getting a bit thin as on the door handles. I did the door handles the other day to see what sort of colour match I could get with Vauxhall Star Silver from Halfords. Very close to the original but thought we would do the dash anyways

pd0MQ.jpg

So first thing, wet sanded back with 800 grit, wipe down with thinners and blasted dry with my hot air gun.
Then a few coats of primer and a final sand with 2000 to set it ready for paint. I like to blast with hot air gun between coats to ensure the tacky is removed quickly - no dust or stuff gets on it then

Left to dry for a few hours and then on with some colour
8NhPz.jpg

I should of filled the double din areas that are scratched in hindsight - as I am out of paint now, but I only have a single din unit and wont really be doing much with the audio for the minute.
Ready for lacquer tomorrow evening.

GOaoY.jpg

USB socket for the Alpine head unit, getting on my nerves as it was just banging around in the glove box all the time. A little bit of work with a scalpel trimmed out the blanking plate and a bit of epoxy to fit the USB plug in place properly. Finished with a bit of Di-noc carbon wrap.

xco91.jpg

And as we had the carbon out I thought I would do my remote control too :)

Some other stuff done, but no pictures:
Oil change, Motul and HAMP filter put on.
Front brake pads changed out
New mats fitted
Replaced copy rear badge with a genuine new one
Rear three windows have now been tinted. Will get some pictures up as soon as they are properly dried.

Have put in some OEM tweeter mounts, I am really am not sure why but the previous owner has set about these too with a screwdriver and had left similar scratches all over them and I may go to components up front at some point in future. I get the impression someone had some ICE in the car at some point as I also found a cheapass RCA cable running to the rear of the car when I took the dash out, but it was one of those real nasty black cables with the red and white plugs - probably from a pound store :D

RvQbO.jpg

NetCo.jpg

Dash all done and refitted. Really pleased with the finish.
Left the lacquer to go off till today.
Wet sanded the slight orange peel back with 3000 Unigrit paper.
Cut with some Poorboys SSR polishes
Finished off with a quick bit of Dodo Lime Prime and a coat of Collinite wax.

Today, found some time for a gearbox oil change, fitted my Megan Racing quick shift. Then Mr Postie turned up with my new JDM ARB.
Here it is after a quick respray, nothing too fancy, just a quick refresh and rust removal. Had a bit of silver in the shed from some wheels refurbed.
T6kEv.jpg

Also got some new drop links and poly bushes for it. May as well replace while it's swapped.

JDM ARB fitted, new rear droplinks and Superpro poly bushes for it too.
Absolute pig getting the old drop links off as the allen holes are a waste of time and getting a hacksaw in there is not easy.
TOP TIP - break them at the plastic joint, remove the plastic and sling a set of mole grips on there. Second one was easy peasy this way ;)

yX1e7.jpg

All fitted, no squeaks, no rattles.
Well worth the upgrade IMO. Just been out to make sure it's all working right and not squeaking (anyone who has poly bushes before will know they get annoying quickly when dry) and my normal roundabout even in the wet felt very planted. No vagueness of the rear at all as normal.
Brilliant!

And here's the next job that arrived yesterday:
uARHq.jpg

Set of Matt Lewis braided brake lines. Same Aeroquip fittings as used on Goodridge but £45 instead of £100+ (that's what stainless fittings seem to cost on Goodridge)
We will see how well they fit, but they look good. Will do a fluid change to 5.1 while I am at it as I expect it has never been changed in the entire life of the car...

Still, I have a month of gardening leave now so plenty of time for more jobs.
Just off to get the airbox off and Hondata mod it as I have a new Pipercross airfilter to replace the OEM filthy one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full ICE upgrade:
Alpine Headunit - CDE-135BT
RE 8" sub (single voice coil)
JL Audio XD 400/4 amp
JL Audio C2 650 Front components
Dynamat Xtreme in the doors

Performance mods:
Tegiwa "M" Intake - can't recommend this enough sounds epic on VTEC now.

To be fitted:
These :D
E74rt.jpg

DC Sports Manifold
Fujitsubo RMA01 Cat back

Just waiting on some quotes back from CPL and EuroSpec for fitting, K100 and RBC too :)

Wheels refurbed today by Prowheels. Top job considering how bad they had been previously.

20130509163326.jpg

Its a really nice gunmetal colour which is a shade of his own devising. Excuse the tyres, they had to be stripped of tyre finish so as not to interfer with the paint (lot of tyre finishes contain silicon)

And the Fujitsubo RM01A looking right at home now it's been mounted. Perfect job by my local exhaust guys, not a rattle or a knock to be heard. Had some J's Racing rubbers put on
Exhaust is awesome and perfect for what I was after, a bit deeper on idle and low revs, nice growl when you are giving it some beans!

20130509163342.jpg

Done the drop links - I hate those things, why do they make them like that??! The allen holes are useless come removal as they are rusted out every single time I have done a set on any car. Not had a chance for a test drive yet.
Oil change done along with a HAMP shortie.

This then turned up late in the day :)

cbonnet.jpg

Carbon goodness! Should get it on tomorrow weather pending. Just been giving it a few coats of wax to make it even more shiny ;)

Oh yeah baby :D

Tiny bit of fettling on the holes for the washer jets - just needed a little enlargement using my step drill to get them fitting nice, but it's on.
Well happy with that.

Bonnet1.jpg

bonnet2.jpg

Massively more shiny than the rest of the car at the moment, but have some bits arriving from Elite Car Care in an hour or so to bling it back up.
Droplinks fixed my knocking too.

I know about the fit around the headlight of the bumper - shows up in the bottom pic quite obviously - the wing was dented and has pushed it up a bit, new one in the post at the moment ;)

Next!

So my answer to what's going on next ;)

BCCoilovers.jpg

Couldn't resist

Haven't wasted any time have you! aha. Fair dos!

That exhaust is apparently one of the best - but very hard to find. Would be interested to hear what it sounds like.

Also a fan of the carbon bonnet :smt023

I've not heard good things about the D2 Camber arms though :<, thoughts?

D2's are "all-right" but have had to re tighten them once so far as they had come loose on one side - not 100% if that was me not locking it up fully or just the way they are made (could be this as they spin very very easily) maybe a spring washer on them may sort it not sure. They are the later versions I have which are supposed to have fixed the issue of them snapping, original "purple" ones had a thinner threaded part IIRC.

Just transferring my thread over from "another forum" so it's the thing from start to now.

The top post is the early stuff I did, before I had masses of cash as I was in the process of moving jobs and not knowing how it was going to pan out.
Second post is all in the last month, much to amusement of the wife LOL! I have spent a fair bit, benefits of overtime though ;)

Still got RBC and the manifold to fit yet, the RBC I am waiting on some bolts that were missing and the manifold is going on next month along with K100 and remap down at Eurospec

Got the new front wing in the post today and have just detailed it up to a standard that I am happier with (was pretty dull paintwork wise) so that should be going on tomorrow.
Coilovers will have to wait for the minute, got to drive to work in Leeds (500 mile trip) so don't want to potentially have the car in bits at the weekend or without the geo being done.

More parts in hand/fitted:

Jazz washer jets - fitted
Skunk 2 weighted gearknob - fitted
D1 Spec Voltage Stabilizer and Grounding kit - fitted
Tegiwa Brake stopper - fitted
Clockwise Motion Drop in sump baffle - in hand - TBH not sure when I am going to fit this having only done a second oil change the other week (2nd in less than 12 months since I have owned it). May wait until it is in for some work.
New front brakes - DS2500's in hand along with some grooved discs.

New brakes on today:
2013-07-08_122330.jpg

DS2500 Pads and grooved discs from brakes international.
Still a bit more bedding in required but have been through heating them up and cool down and they are starting to bite a lot more now.

Back