• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My '02 JDM EP3 - Champ White - Jaws

Hi All,

Well I gave a quick into in the newbies section a while back but have since picked up my JDM EP3 and coming up to my first full month of ownership.

As you may have realise (JawsEK9) I have had a few JDM Honda's before include a '98 EK9 and '04 FL DC5. Both superb cars and part of the reason for my return to the Red H scene. After owning my E60 520d M Sport for 6 months I sadly couldn't take much more and needed something a little more 'interesting' to drive.

So here she is...

IMG_1140_zpsxubjmyly.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsy5xvcgoo.jpg

Spec:
2002 Prefacelift Model
Imported 2015 by Torque GT - Grade 4/B - 73k Miles
Championship White / Red Recaro's
Lots of Honda Service History from Japan
Usual JDM Goodies - Wind Deflectors etc.
Fully Undersealed
Toad Ai606 Alarm

Modifications:
Spoon N1 Axleback (not pictured)

Sadly I somewhat neglected to take pictures of the front of the car however when work quietens and I get the car detailed to a standard I am happy with I will take a full photoshoot with my DSLR!

At the minute I haven't got anything too major planned for the car. I would like to bring it up to spec as much as possible. I must say the car feels great and the engine / gearbox feels extremely strong so no major concerns there. I will be carrying out a full service of all fluids in the next week or two and having the car in to get the front bumper sprayed to bring the bodywork up to scratch and eliminate the dreaded stone chips.

Other than that I will slowly update the thread with various parts I have added or changed.

Comments / Criticism Welcome.

Jack

So rather than update the original post I thought I'd add my progress so far on the car.

Unfortunately the car didn't come with a stereo, as usual with imports. Driving 40 miles to work and back I needed something to keep me sane, even if the sound of the car does put a huge smile on my face!

Anyway, I picked up a cheapo Alpine Bluetooth headunit for now, sadly the fascia adaptor was junk but it also gave me chance to change out the original Honda fascia which seemed to pick up numerous scratches in its lifetime. Not the prettiest install but will do for now...

FullSizeRender_zps8pljazrk.jpg

Following that I gave the car a quick detail, clay, polish and wax. Still not to my usual anal standards but until I get 2/3 days off in a row it will have to do. Unfortunately some t*sser nicked my wind deflectors on the boat over from Japan so a few quick later and a helping hand from Matt at Injection Imports I had a new set arrived at my door ready to fit. Minty fresh!

IMG_1297_zpsyfk7w5zb.jpg

Next up my central locking actuator decided to die on the driver side door. After a week of opening with a key (even though the others still opened on fob) I decided to do something about it! Obviously just to be awkward Honda used completely different mechanisms on the JDM model to the UK EP3. Luckily for me however they did share parts with the Civic SI in the States. It seems these things are pretty common problems on both of these cars. Anyway, Honda UK wanted a pretty astonishing £80+ for a new actuator! Luckily however I managed to source a brand new genuine part from the States for about £34 including shipping. Part no. 72115-S5A-003 if it helps anyone :). 30 mins later and a bit of swearing I had a working door again!

IMG_1744_zpsbt9tzglx.jpg

Next up was a quick polish of the headlights, tried the toothpaste trick which worked wonders followed by a go over with Autoglym SRP to brighten them up. They look a little fresher now but might look to replace them in the near future.

IMG_1187_zpswjojbmtb.jpg

And last but certainly not least, my Spoon N1 axle back. I missed the sound of my DC5 with the same set-up so bad that I purchased this even before I bought the car :twisted:. Happy to say the sound is awesome but hope to mate it up with a matching B Pipe in the near future if one becomes available at a reasonable cost!

spoon_zpsxcgxcfis.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics, I will take some proper shots soon.

I have just purchased the following to carry out a full service:

5L Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
2L MTF-3 Fluid
5L Honda Type 2 Coolant
1.5L Motul RB600 Brake Fluid + Braided Lines
NGK Iridium Plugs
Genuine Honda Air Filter
HAMP Oil Filter
New Washers / Bolts

That's all for now!

Jack

Very nice indeed. Been looking at fd2's recently but probably will have to wait a while for that, so I am quite tempted by one of these. Love them in white, if they supplied them here I would have gone for that colour instead of my cosmic. Enjoy the car.

Cheers guys, should be going in to the bodyshop this week for a freshen up on the front end, then a full service followed by some much needed photo's!

On the plus side today I thought I'd attack the seats using my Autobrite Alcantara cleaner and Viking interior brush. WOW! What a difference! Though I'd give this a go before woolite and wasn't disappointed! Brought up and dirt and marks easy and with little effort. Definitely recommended!

Could be Gathers Kenwood which I think were a JDM Factory upgrade. Thats what came in my JDM EP3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, always wondered if Jdm ep3s has different speakers or not. Makes sense they have different speakers as the ukdm ones are a literal joke..

Dont hold me to that though. I asked the guys I bought my car from about the head unit as it said Gathers and looked after market. They said it was from the factory which is what they said about my Mugen S suspension. It is defiantly different to the standard UKDM one.

I later found out that Gathers is Kenwood.

Ah okay, see what your getting at their. I know the stock Jdm ep3s don't have any radio whatsoever. So it's very possible that you could get aftermarket ones from the factory. I think it's starting to add up now though. Looking at Japanese auction sites I noticed that a lot of ep3s have the same 'rather ugly' imo, head units. I thought people in Japan just like having similar headunits:p, but I'm now thinking it was some kind of factory option.

Haha, use google translate app and take a picture of it.

Yeah my Gathers head unit had radio but in the UK all it will pick up is radio 2 (boring) so I upgraded to a DAB unit. The gathers head unit I removed was pretty ugly but it did light up nicely at night.

Tried translating with the Google app. Not much of any interest, the translations are pretty awful but you just about get the idea. Only part I could find in the entire boucher was

"Audio Hall lid when you are not replacing the audio is a dealer option. Over Te one"

so im guessing that the dealer will probably fit a radio for you but you can have the cover plate incase you don't want one or something.

Back