• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My car is poorly sick.....

On Friday on the M25 my oil light came on. I got onto the M1 went to the services and filled it up. The light stayed on so on Sunday I checked oil and there was only a little bit in it, so I put some more in (didn’t drive it on sat or sun) and the oil light was still on. I drove to the hosp yesterday morning after checking it and light was still on.

It was juddering on way back to work and oil light was on so my boss checked it as had to go into a meeting and he said the dip stick was about dry so he went and got some oil for me. He put a load in and on way home from work light was still on and the car was juddering so engine management light was on as well as the EPC light. Checked oil this morning and there was about 5 times too much in it so I have flooded it by putting too much in.

Called RAC and they came at lunch time so met them at home. They took one look at it and towed it to the garage saying engine is seized as it wouldn't start amongst other things.

Anyway at the garage this afternoon they dropped all the oil out and changed the filter, went onto diagnostics mahine to see why it was miss firing.

He said the coils are knackered so they need to change them, they also need to change the spark plugs as well as some other parts.

They need to change all of the above and flush the oil out of the engine and plug it back into the diagnostics machine. There is no guarantee at that point if it will be sorted or if it will even start, he said they have to do it bit by bit.

Once they have done the above will know more. They still think it may be seized as it wont start but once they have done the above there is a possibility it will start and they can go from there.....

I shouldn’t have drove it at all yesterday and got it checked out first as it could have been just the sensor playing up.

If only I had not drove it and put so much oil in, I wouldn’t be in this bloody situation. So it’s my fault.

I want to cry......

I am really hoping the engine isn't seized.

It was only in May it was in Leicester Audi to have the nox sensor and another replaced which cost just under £800.

Do the sensors play up a lot of Audi's?

Unless both you and your boss misread the dipstick (which I find unlikely) I'm trying to work out where the hell the oil went to. Fair enough if the oil warning was playing up, but if the dipstick was dry then every indication is that the oil was low, and it needed more. It's not like that much oil can be squirreled away somewhere in the engine...wtf?!

As for the coils being dead, I don't really see how too much oil in the engine will directly affect them? Contaminated spark plugs, yes. There's more to this than meets the eye...

Unless both you and your boss misread the dipstick (which I find unlikely) I'm trying to work out where the hell the oil went to. Fair enough if the oil warning was playing up, but if the dipstick was dry then every indication is that the oil was low, and it needed more. It's not like that much oil can be squirreled away somewhere in the engine...wtf?!

As for the coils being dead, I don't really see how too much oil in the engine will directly affect them? Contaminated spark plugs, yes. There's more to this than meets the eye...

Well the coil issue is my boss fault as it was dark when he was putting oil in and missed so and oil went everywhere and the RAC man said the coils were covered in oil.........

He said this within a minute of looking at engine before even checking anything else as there was oil everywhere......

Well the coil issue is my boss fault as it was dark when he was putting oil in and missed so and oil went everywhere and the RAC man said the coils were covered in oil.........

He said this within a minute of looking at engine before even checking anything else as there was oil everywhere......

I must just add that I wasn't even there at the time as was in a meeting. I didn't realise he had done it till got out of meeting. He thought he was trying to help!

You'd need to spill an unbelievable amount of oil to damage the coils like that.

This may point at another possibility...engine bay covered in oil, sump always dry, warning light on. Perhaps a massive oil leak, meaning that the engine may have run dry, i.e. risk of seizure.

I guess we'll get a conclusive answer when the garage come back with their findings.

You'd need to spill an unbelievable amount of oil to damage the coils like that.

This may point at another possibility...engine bay covered in oil, sump always dry, warning light on. Perhaps a massive oil leak, meaning that the engine may have run dry, i.e. risk of seizure.

I guess we'll get a conclusive answer when the garage come back with their findings.

He told me that he bought 5L and put in 2L but there was 3L gone out of the bottle???

Is 1L enough to f*** the coils up?

Possibly, but the coils are fairly well sealed. Something still doesn't quite sit right, but I'm sure all will become clear when the garage finish their diagnosis.

Possibly, but the coils are fairly well sealed. Something still doesn't quite sit right, but I'm sure all will become clear when the garage finish their diagnosis.

Yep will know more tomorrow when they have replaced all the parts so will update then.....

Mate the mechanic should be able to turn the engine over by hand that should tell him if the engine is seized. hard to believe all the coils need replaced unlikely and as for the plugs just clean them and try before replacing. piston rings may be f**ked if the plugs are soaked in oil, engine may have hydruliced if the oil made it to the cylinder.

Nat - A friend of mine has an Mk5 R32 & it uses more oil than any other car I've ever heard of & has been into VW countless times. Sounds similar to your story love tbh.

Is the car still under warranty?
I hope it's not a ball ache to get sorted mate ;)

Nat - A friend of mine has an Mk5 R32 & it uses more oil than any other car I've ever heard of & has been into VW countless times. Sounds similar to your story love tbh.

Is the car still under warranty?
I hope it's not a ball ache to get sorted mate ;)

Warranty ran out a month before I had the nox sensor issue in May. Sods law and all that. :(

Not heard from garage yet not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Warranty ran out a month before I had the nox sensor issue in May. Sods law and all that. :(

Not heard from garage yet not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

thats bad new :mad: and i suspect this will cost a few bob to repair

get your boss a

funnel-small_1.jpg

for xmas...

also its 1litre between min and max on the dipstick, why did he put like 2/3l in?

I would clean out the coil packs with some carb cleaner and go from there.

Back