• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My car stinks of Fuel!! :shock:

Just had the Magnex 6 x 4 back box fitted on Wednesday last week whilst the car had it's 2 nd service at TGM.

I know that TGM are a good garage to take your car to, however, my car now stinks of fuel most of the time, especially when stood stationary at lights/junctions etc.

Help please?? Is there something I can check for? Shall I take it back to TGM? Just a new back box wearing in??

Thanku

Sounds like a fuel leak, take it back to TGM ASAP if I were you.

Or it could be from the car in front.

Sounds daft Nat, but you haven't recently filled up with petrol have you?

I've had this a couple of times when I've tried to squeeze a wee bit too much in the tank.

Have a look underneath in the morning to see if there is a wet patch, if so like Mutha Funkster says, get back to TGM asap :wink:

Hope you get it sorted love

Funky said:
Sounds like a fuel leak, take it back to TGM ASAP if I were you.

Or it could be from the car in front.

I thought it might be that- but the fuel smell hasn't gone away and I've been driving way behind everyone just in case :? It's just too strong a fuel smell TBH.

I can't see any fuel behind me after I drive ... but my fuel consumption doesn't appear right either. I'll call Tom in the morning I think. Might PM Sara as well.

I doubt you would see a trail of fuel behind you if it was leaking. You could take it to a garage and ask them to get it on a ramp and have a look if you can see anything leaking from underneath.

Just dont go flicking any cigarette butts near the car! :lol:

SpaceMonkey said:
Sounds daft Nat, but you haven't recently filled up with petrol have you?

I've had this a couple of times when I've tried to squeeze a wee bit too much in the tank.

Have a look underneath in the morning to see if there is a wet patch, if so like Mutha Funkster says, get back to TGM asap :wink:

Hope you get it sorted love

Good thought- but I only just filled her back up today.

Thanks for your help though xx

Sounds dodgy, the fuel tank is on the other side to the back box so would be really concerned. Was anything else done at the same time ??

Would get it back ASAP unless the rear seats have been out ther eis a bung that is there that when removed you smell more from the outside of the car ?

But sounds like afuel leak to me get it back and sorted ASAP

My mate was getting this in his Focus RS. Turns out the CAT was on it's way out.

I had this problem on Emma's Saxo.

There was a very very small petrol leak from the fuel rail, only a few drops but when it hit the hot exhaust it turns to vapour which stinks, and pours through the vents.

Worse when stationary, as when you drive the vapour gets dispersed before getting into the vents.

HTH

Check the fuel rail lines to the engine manifold.

Car could be running rich.

And as has been said, exhaust could be fooked :wink:

I would ring them up and see what they suggest, there very good and will probably tell you what to do about it.

My car stinks of fuel all the time, but straight through de-cat isnt helping :lol: :lol:

Foxy red said:
dotty said:
CTR said:
My mate was getting this in his Focus RS. Turns out the CAT was on it's way out.

This could be the problem in your case Nat.

But the car is only 2 years old this month :shock: Is this covered under warrenty?

It will be covered under warrenty... if its the cat.

thanks guys :D

Just caled Tom- He said it's sounds nothing to do with what his guys did, but he's going to have a look for me tonight..... will let you all know how it turns out.

Hope its alright and there you were blaming my Dads old Xantia for the smell :lol:

Let me know later :wink:

SpaceMonkey said:
Did you get this sorted in the end Nat?

Hope so Love, let us know :wink:

Hey

Sorry for the delay in reply :oops:

Found out the problem.........

Took it to Tom at TGM, who smelt the cabin, agreed it was bad and asked me to open the bonnet (now- this was the one place I hadn't thought to look TBH) and the answer was starring back at us.

....... The Oil cap had somehow sheared off and was merrily slopping oil around my engine bay :oops:

Luckily enough, the top of the oil cap had fallen under my battery and wedged itself there an not towards the cam belt. :shock: The thread for the oil cap was still in place and had helped to keep the oil mostly in the engine rather than on top of it. :shock:

Because he's been the only one to ever touch the oil cap in my car whilst I've owned it ..... and because the problem had arisen from him changing the oil last week, he very kindly gave me a nice new metal one :smt026

Not as nice as the spoon one- but really good all the same! Top bloke! :smt023

Back