• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

my CTR: dead as a door knob

Woke up to find my car dead as a door knob. Some how, the battery went flat. I think I left my interior light switched on from Wednesday evening. :oops:

kamion said:
Woke up to find my car dead as a door knob. Some how, the battery went flat. I think I left my interior light switched on from Wednesday evening. :oops:

Have you got it going now?

Van battery was very weak in the cold this morning, taking it for a new one this afternoon... dont fancy getting stuck anywhere with a flat battery this time of year!

Not yet. I will have to wait until this evening when my housemate is back. Luckily, I walk to work. :)

How long does one have to leave the car running to charge the battery back up to a decent level?

Better getting a charger from halfrauds, then you know that the battery id fully charged ;)

Oh and you will have to re-enter the radio code and maybe something with the immobaliser.

kamion said:
SOates82 said:
Oh and you will have to re-enter the radio code and maybe something with the immobaliser.

Immobiliser?! Really?

I don't think so :roll: ..... you might have to re-teach the auto window though. :wink:

Neily03 said:
kamion said:
SOates82 said:

Immobiliser?! Really?

I don't think so :roll: ..... you might have to re-teach the auto window though. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The windows will need to be done, but had to do nothing with the radio or alarm when mine went dead!

Should be fine :wink:

Neily03 said:
Or go for a long drive.... at least 30 minutes.....

If you are starting from a fully discharged battery (using a boost starter?) then 30 mins will be enough for about 1 attempt at a cold start. :wink:

Han, if you want to charge whilst driving then get onto a motoway and do half a tank of fuel. That will be a full charge. 8)

Do not try and cruise around town, if you stall and can't start again you will look silly. :twisted:

My battery suddenly went flat just after last Christmas turns out I actually needed a new battery but I made it last until a couple of months ago! I took it out and charged it but it never properly held it's charge. It couldn't hack the cold weather again :lol:

I didn't have to re-set anything but my radio everytime it went dead (was annoying as I lost all the names of CDs I'd typed in).

RAC came out first time and started it for me he told me it only needed to be running 5-10 minutes to charge up the battery.

Thanks guys. My manager has offered to pop by my place after work to give it a jump start. I guess I'll be out circling Cambridge doing an A14->M11->A11 route. :roll:

I think it's the interior light. And I reverse parked my car so the rear tints didn't help me notice it was still on after I walked away! :oops:

Hmm. How do you "re-teach" the auto-window? Can I re-teach it to do both auto-up and auto-down? :twisted:

kamion said:
Thanks guys. My manager has offered to pop by my place after work to give it a jump start. I guess I'll be out circling Cambridge doing an A14->M11->A11 route. :roll:

I think it's the interior light. And I reverse parked my car so the rear tints didn't help me notice it was still on after I walked away! :oops:

Hmm. How do you "re-teach" the auto-window? Can I re-teach it to do both auto-up and auto-down? :twisted:

If its an 04 and above it will auto up. If not its only auto down afaik :?

To reset it I think you hold down the electric window button.. Not entirely sure about that though :shock:

Jap Tart said:
I didn't have to re-set anything but my radio everytime it went dead (was annoying as I lost all the names of CDs I'd typed in).

I assume that is an aftermarket Head Unit Katy. :D

*Scouse wonders if you can name your discs on the OEM CD player*

funnily enough my battery was flat this morning cos I was awoken by the alarm goin off :roll: no lites left on overnite but cars been lying around the garage for a month ish :roll:

must do that when it gets to flat & i noticed the flashing lite in the speedo wasn't flashing (dead flat)

it'll have to stay flat till after xmas now :p

If its been sitting already for a month and you are leaving it for another one you really sould have it off its tyres and change the oil before its next run, and change the brake fluid as water gets absorbed at an increased rate.

Managed to jump start the car, after quite a few attempts!

It seems that disarming the immobiliser (and thus causing all indicator lights to flash) was stuffing up my attempts to start the engine! :shock: Didn't know the indicator lights sucked up so much juice. :roll:

In the end, I had to blip the immobiliser, then wait until just before it reengaged to start the engine.

I have to go look up the manual at what the alarm system is doing. The first time I locked and armed the car, it beeped at me. The red light also stays on for some time before starting to blink. It used to blink straight away.

kamion said:
Managed to jump start the car, after quite a few attempts!

It seems that disarming the immobiliser (and thus causing all indicator lights to flash) was stuffing up my attempts to start the engine! :shock: Didn't know the indicator lights sucked up so much juice. :roll:

In the end, I had to blip the immobiliser, then wait until just before it reengaged to start the engine.

I have to go look up the manual at what the alarm system is doing. The first time I locked and armed the car, it beeped at me. The red light also stays on for some time before starting to blink. It used to blink straight away.

What is blipping the imobiliser etc, this has me baffled!

The red light is also meant to stay on as it is arming the various sensors - it then starts to blink, this is normal and it is in the manual too.

BTW, the indicators flashing draw about 7 amps but very briefly so no real load on the battery unless it was incredibly low charge at that time

Back