• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My engine died!

So, today the 2.2 VTEC lump in my Prelude exploded.

Well, it more kind of imploded.

I was idling down a hill, and suddently there was a loud sound like a lemming gasping for air. Or something.

Then, the whole thing just went tits-up.

I managed to coast to a lay-by (thank hebus), and tried to start it. It sounded as if the car was choking, so I took the air filter off. The next thing I notice is that after I try starting the car, it actually manages to tick over (but runs extremely roughly, as if it's only running on 3 cylinders. Or perhaps 2), and it chokes to death, with smoke (seems to be normal exhaust fumes) pouring out of the air intake.

How random.

I managed to have the car dragged to a garage, and it'll be inspected on Monday. Colour me very worried about my poor Prelude.

*sniff*

- Turkish

IT IS REPAIRED!

Jeezus, I thought it was something really serious, but it turns out that the distributor just disintegrated in its housing. So they replaced the dizzy, the housing and the HT leads (they were due for replacement anyway).

Total cost of repair, including parts and labour: £98.

A bit embarassing. But I prefer to be embarassed to having to cough up serious cash.

Well you can tell how worried everybody was can't you :lol: :wink:

Glad it wasn't a horrendous job anyway :)

Glad it wasnt serious mate, Just next time it happens you'll be thinking.

Ah It's only the dizzy.... look behind and see a trail of pistons and crap on the floor :lol:

Turkish said:
IT IS REPAIRED!

Jeezus, I thought it was something really serious, but it turns out that the distributor just disintegrated in its housing. So they replaced the dizzy, the housing and the HT leads (they were due for replacement anyway).

Total cost of repair, including parts and labour: £98.

A bit embarassing. But I prefer to be embarassed to having to cough up serious cash.

Any idea why it did it.

Friendy said:
Any idea why it did it.

Dizzy's break sometimes. The car's done 125K miles, and I think the dizzy and cap were stock, so it's probably just the material that's gone "bleh"

I'll be damned.

I didn't drive any more than about 5-6 miles in the 'lude before the brand new dizzy melted inside its housing as well. I guess an over-heating problem may be the culprit, and that the molten dizzy was merely a symptom, rather than the problem itself. Oddly enough, though, the temperature gauge inside the car didn't show any problem whatsoever.

I'm wondering... Is there anything that can make the top end of an engine get particularly hot?

Turkish said:
Friendy said:
Normalluy lack of water in the head maybe

That's what I thought, but I'm a bit baffled - can heat conduction really melt the dizzy in its housing like that.

Not sure how a dizzy works :oops: but is the core metal, either that or you have a mojor electrical problem that is burning it.

Back