• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Ep3 is crappp, I need to restore it! - What could it be out of my list?

Hi guys,

My type R was stunning two years ago, 37,000 miles later it is now not fun to push.

Since I had the clutch replaced, my steering wheel is not straight. I have had several tracking checks, all of which were spot on!
When I push the car it hops, creaks in reverse, and also if I max out first gear.

Could it be gearbox?
driveshaft?
gearbox mounts? engine mounts?
wheel bearing?
droplinks?

I had lower arm bushings replaced, the knocking sound was gone and mechanic said everything else was well and my tyres were letting me down.

so i replaced tyres and steering wheel is still not straight.

Steering rack? sliders?

The car is fine when im driving 40 miles to work and back. However If i take it on a B road and push it, I rather not because it doesnt handle as sharply.
Straight line power is good, although it is suffering a little but that is a blown exhaust somewhere.

I want to replace exhaust and do a few mods but before all that i would like my car to be safe (e..g no split mounts, steering rack about to break)

it doesn't feel safe when turning but straight line,I can take speeds it upto 130mph (10 mile runs) once a week and it feels solid. however if i move the steering wheel slightly at high speed, so i rock it very little, the car responds spot on, however it sometimes wheels lose, i keep rocking it and its accurate again, than its suddenly not accurate.

and last thing is:

when i turn sharp left at 70-90mph something rubs or knocks on left side. what could be touching what?

problem with why i dont take it to a garage first is, they ALWAYS think its something different and i end up wasting my time and money. Whereas if i go with a specific problem or narrow it down, im out much quicker and cheaper.

let me what you guys think, sorry if the level of english is poor, i wrote it quickly. Much Appreciated.

+ Added - I do not mind spending £500 for a job worth £300 if the parts are HIGHER quality, my mechanic often encourages me to buy cheap used parts, but i spend triple what he suggests just so i wouldnt have another problem. So money is not issue, its the wastage of money which i hate!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you change the clutch you have to drop the subframe. You'll never get it back in the exact same place (unless you've got subframe collars) and this affects the front camber. Although the toe might be fine, uneven camber on the front wheels will make the steering wheel go out and cause issues with pulling and generally drive poor.
Front and rear engine mounts aren't really up for the job when new. Fitting mount inserts is common procedure to reduce wheel hop and essential to fit if you decide to put an aftermarket manifold on to save the flexi joint.
Drop links are common to give knocking over rough roads. They're also cheap and easy to replace.

Back