• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MY EP3 is slow

My ctr is a 2005 standard no mods only K&N pod filter, but it feels a bit weak, compared with a friends one. from previews experience on my past cars is that the catalyst might be an issue. does this stand for the EP3? If i put a cat back pipe will i gain the power?

rgrds

How do you mean pod filter? A panel one or the type that removes the whole standard airbox?

have you checked your filter for any blockages? Never been to Cyprus where you are but could it be a heat soak issue? Just a stab in the dark, or oil issue like Nick suggested

There are loads of reasons why variations in peak power and acceleration can occur but you have to remember that most Hondas leave the factory with near enough the same power (give or take a few bhp).

Other manufacturers such as Fords have wider tolerances on the engine internals, which ultimately means the variations in power between each car will vary to a larger extent. This is why blueprinting is so beneficial on Ford/Vauxhall engines, whereas doing this on Honda or Toyota engines won't really give a huge benefit.

The things that will affect performance more than anything are...

- Incorrect Tyre Pressures (~34psi all round works well on the CTR).

- Engine Oil level/quality - manual suggests replacing oil each 6000 miles, and the filter every 10k miles.

- Gearbox oil level/quality - I just did mine and the engine seems to rev much more freely ever since.

- Worn engine components & ancillaries - dirty Spark plugs, old air filters, knackered lambda sensors, excessive valve clearances and a tired battery will also affect performance.

I also make a point of running my CTR on V-Power or at least 97ron fuel all the time. I notice a difference within a few minutes if I drop down to 95ron at any point and the car seems to stutter at low revs. After a few tanks of V-Power, the car runs noticeably smoother and mpg improves. A must for most modern Jap engines IMO.

thanks a lot for this times, i will consider your advice and check them out, i think might be also the gearbox oil as is time to be replaced, is very slow reving as well.

Also wonder if the catalyst cuts off some power due to the miles of my car 75k meaning if its blocked or something?

thanks again

It could be that the Catalytic convertor is badly coked up with carbon, but this is fairly unlikely to be honest. If the car isn't driven hard very often and is normally kept at low revs, this could be a problem but otherwise I would say the problem is probably elsewhere.

I once removed the cat on an older Civic which had 75k on the clock and fitted a decat pipe, and although the outer heat shields were rusting badly, the internal honeycomb was suprisingly clean.

It may be worth checking if you really think the cat is blocked or damaged though. I had an old Ford fiesta which had the catalytic convertor break up and a piece the size of a golfball blocked up the exhaust. The car wouldn't go above 40mph though and the fan belt started squeeling like crazy. New cars like a CTR shouldn't have problems like this - especially with yours being a 2004 model.

Also, check the throttle cable linkage on your throttle body. It could be something as simple as the throttle is not opening properly. I checked mine and it had quite a bit of slack in it - I was amazed how much difference it made to the performance! Simply loosen the nuts with a spanner (10mm i think) and remove it from it's bracket. Wind the one closest to the throttle body down a bit, then refit it into the bracket and tighten the upper nut to secure it. Check the tightness of the cable again. Repeat it until the cable is tight, but make sure the engine doesn't rev itself at idle.

great post, i ll check the cable as you've sayd, this might be also the case, not allowing the car to get full throttle..

thanks man

How can poor battery affect engine performance? I'm curious as I had my head lights on for about 45 minutes whilst the car was off and it killed my battery!

An old battery can cause a drop in voltage making the ignition spark become weaker - but as long as your alternator is producing a charge of ~14V during normal running, I doubt you will see much benefit in replacing it.

The batteries on CTRs aren't the biggest out there, so to leave your lights on for nearly an hour with the engine turned off is really a bad idea - especially in the colder months as a poor battery will not be holding a charge for as long.

Back