• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My ep3 type r has a 5 speed gearbox

Just bought an ep3 type r and the seller didn't tell me it has a 5 speed gearbox.
Why would he have that done ? Is there any benefits to this or shall I get it changed back to 6 ?
Totally standard car, no other modifications

My thoughts too, could it be a Type R replica, made to look like an R but isn't, but surely that would come up on the logbook, insurance.

If it is a Type R, could there be an issue where it won't select sixth gear and that's why you think it's got a 5 speed box.

You can change to a 5 speed which would alter the ratios for acceleration but why would someone bother with that mod if the rest of the car is standard, very expensive option for little gain.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

My thoughts too, could it be a Type R replica, made to look like an R but isn't, but surely that would come up on the logbook, insurance.

If it is a Type R, could there be an issue where it won't select sixth gear and that's why you think it's got a 5 speed box.

You can change to a 5 speed which would alter the ratios for acceleration but why would someone bother with that mod if the rest of the car is standard, very expensive option for little gain.

Yeah I've seen people talking about that 5 speed is better for turbos but I have no idea, unless that was his intension before selling it. The log books says it's a type R and it has the stamped type R piece on the centre console

What's the VIN start with? Check the plaque in the engine bay, as well as the one at the bottom of the windscreen, and check it matches the one in the log book. It should start with EP3. I've never ever heard of an EP3 having a 5 speed box, usually when people get to replacing gearboxes it's for a dog box or similar and the rest of the car would also be modified. Either that, or the selector fork or similar for 6th is broken. How many miles and has the clutch ever been replaced?

I would say if it is a genuine Type R, and unmodified regarding intake, exhaust etc there is most likely an issue with gearbox/ clutch. As previously said maybe one of those issues is stopping you selecting sixth gear most likely gearbox related like a selector fork or something.

Potentially an expensive fix I'm afraid.

What's the VIN start with? Check the plaque in the engine bay, as well as the one at the bottom of the windscreen, and check it matches the one in the log book. It should start with EP3. I've never ever heard of an EP3 having a 5 speed box, usually when people get to replacing gearboxes it's for a dog box or similar and the rest of the car would also be modified. Either that, or the selector fork or similar for 6th is broken. How many miles and has the clutch ever been replaced?
69k miles and clutch I have no idea unfortunately

Back