• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My first EP3 figured it's time to start a build thread

Well I bought my first ep3 about 3months back now.
1d5f9f3208036c17a2ade2ac99d78624.jpg

763c1a0b8f1cf9eaf65a2e98884c5a3a.jpg

First thing was to get rid of that nasty personalised plate. I like square plates when done properly but not just stuck on with someone else's personal plate.
So got some mugen plate surrounds, put it back on original reg and got some embossed plates.

de6b8ac7a3e6fa71352412794c750219.jpg

Also put eagle F1 asymmetrical 2's on all 4 corners as it had budget tyres on before, bit of a nightmare as the company fitting them ****ed up the paint on my alloys and had to get them balanced 4x before the weights stayed on but got there eventually.

Then for some mugen kick plates and a dam good polish as it looked like it hadn't been done in a year!

93b3a72da5d7d3b5f370f0f7af548577.jpg

efc00f4a1e55da37221ffb0e3b5933f9.jpg

62b839b9b50fcebdc8548895ddc5f045.jpg

Next was to change the gear box oil and coolant just to be sure, so 1.7L of mtf 3 gearbox oil and 5L of Type 2 coolant later I was much happier and so was the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew my brake pads were running low and rear discs had seen better days but one started grinding and sticking to the disc. Decided my plans for a tegiwa airbox will have to go on hold whilst I sort them.
So I was gonna go OEM discs all around with ferodo DS2500 pads for the front and OEM at the rear. Managed to get an immense deal on some DBA rotors due to some damaged packaging and they arrived today. Got DBA4000 for the rears and DBA2500 for the front, cost about £140 for BOTH sets so am pleased with that. Will be fitting them tomorrow and praying that the calipers are all ok!

Edit: the more I look up the bigger the list gets so decided to make a actual short list here:
Upgrade discs and pads - done
Tegiwa airbox - done
Jdm rear arb - done
Put on fuchs Titan race pro oil + hamp filter - done
Double din unit- outstanding
FRSU - outstanding
Skunk2 4-2-1 decat manifold - outstanding
K100 - outstanding
Facelift headlights with HIDS - outstanding
Mugen rep front splitter - painted
Dress up engine bay - outstanding
White carbon wrap centre console and door handles - done but badly now thinking hydro dipping colour dependant on wheel colour choice.
Paint alloys white -in moral dilemma with white or chrome blue or chrome/candy red
Debadge - decided against this
Hide money spent on car from wife - constantly ongoing!!!!

Ok after 6hrs, 2 discs seized onto hubs, drilling out 2 sets of disc screws, the thread failing on the last caliper bolt (and trips to go find a replacement bolt) they are finally fitted......
But one of the rear calipers was stiff as hell to wind in and that disc is considerably hotter than the rest after a short test drive, so pretty sure the caliper is gonna need rebuilding!! *head in hands moment*
It never ends.
660cf95783133581f49482d0048a33f4.jpg

13f054b3728ce5f7bf8e9250a81333fe.jpg

f90401ea75f6e6f97eb10ae0d6e7732d.jpg

390477db2f583f576012b5ec5c450416.jpg

Brakes all sorted was an issue with a stiff slider, will be replacing in the next week or so. Now for 200miles of gentle bedding in braking

Thanks, I've read up A LOT on this forum before I started doing anything so trying to go with the experience of others rather than trial and error. Though I was a little premature on posting my brakes were sorted, they are still playing up and my slider refurb kit isn't here yet! I now officially hate brakes!

Brakes got sorted after two weeks of issues turned out to be the other slider as well. Now all fixed.

As funds are tight and I can't quite afford the twin loop yet I had a sportex 2.5in Unsilenced b-pipe fitted today as an interim. Definitely makes the car sound meaner but without ****ing off the neighbours.
Didn't get any photos I'm afraid as I outsourced this job, £25 for fitting and all gaskets was a steal IMO.

How do you find your new brake setup?

I use this setup for my track spec EP and love it. It's quite crazy just how good it seams to work for me, almost to the point where I feel I can't justify a caliper upgrade.

I still need to change the lines and fluid but so far have been impressed with them. From cold they are the same as standard but once warmed up they come into their own, the ferrodos do create a lot of dust though.
Dba rotors have been brilliant would definitely use them again.

My fluid and lines are all uprated so that helps alot with the pedal feel also.

But I agree DBA rotors are highly commendable, i'll be buying again for sure!

Update time: well since last time I've invested in a DA polisher as the swirls in my paint were starting to drive me mad. Spent about 5hrs going over the car with megiuars 105 & 205, quite annoyed at myself for not taking before and after pictures, or pictures at all at the time for that matter! The weathers been crap since so photos to follow when a bit of sunshine breaks through our crappy weather.
They are surprisingly easy to use and I was surprised quite how much was corrected in the paintwork with the DA polishers and megiuars combo.

Finally managed to get my hands on a few parts I've been after to:
d691cf12bf2eafadfccf266dc45e05af.jpg

6d5a54b1bf2cb6680fa418c1569e0dfb.jpg

Managed to pick this up second hand from CTRO, it came with a tegiwa hose as well but I didn't fit this as it's been shoddily cut. Plus it was blue like the breather and I want a different colour scheme in the engine bay so left it off for now. The guy I bought it off neglected to mention the scoop isn't in very good condition so will be getting that wrapped at some point to.
The noise from the tegiwa airbox is immense, my mpg has practically halved from vtec'ing everywhere haha

Also managed to get a DC5 rear ARB (22mm) and have fuchs Titan race pro oil waiting to be fitted, hoping to get at least one of these two things done tomorrow at work so will stick some pics of that up, nothing like being paid to work on your car

Oil change done and the car is now running on fuchs Titan race pro with a shiny new hamp oil filter.
cc102518d4debd110de06621e4024bc1.jpg

38b0f8cbbc2d0d7ac48ae69c7a0958b5.jpg

The oil that came out wasn't too bad to be honest, black yes but didn't smell bad and I could have probably got away with it for a couple more months but I'm happier knowing it's done. Mental note must buy top up bottle now as it drank all 5L.

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again.......I HATE BRAKES! I'm starting to see why people invest in BBK's.
Had to pull over yesterday as I had an horrific noise coming from the FNS wheel and so much vibration through the steering wheel the mrs could have got herself off on it! Yep you guessed it pad was sticking to the disc! Crawled it to work and did a spin test, definitely restricted. With my MOT the next day (today) and having just brought the mrs a new car, short of someone accepting shiny pebbles for some new calipers I was buggered. In the vague hope of avoiding replacing the calipers I stripped the slider bracket out and gave it the once over, one of the slider pins was locked down tighter than a nuns pants! Cleaned it, greased and rebuilt it, being sick of this problem I did the OS as well. So far so good and it passed the MOT with a clean sheet (except a couple of bulbs I was too bone idle to do so paid the stealers to). The garage even said it was a tidy motor and they make no money off people like me (£10 for a mot, though they raped me for the bulbs) April fools, no jokes on me baby.

Loving the build thread seeing as you've got the same colour as me. Nice to see what you're doing to yours. I'm constantly trying to hunt down kick plates for mine (And I only picked my car up Sunday just gone) Been hunting over a week or so now everywhere.. Already got a slight modding bug! Where did you get your kick plates from? I'm having no luck trying to find any as I was hoping to get the TYPE R logoed ones.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Cheers pal to be honest I thought it was only me that read it but I'm enjoying keeping a diary of my progress.
There's 2 ways to go with the kick plates: genuine ones which are pretty rare and roughly £120-£140ish or cheap ones from eBay (which is what I got) for about £25. You can easily tell the difference as the genuine ones look much much better but I think it's a lot of money for something that you only see when getting in and out the car. If you do go for the eBay ones throw the sticky pads straight in the bin and use a few blobs of silicone to fix them to the sills.
Good luck keeping on top of the swirls btw it's a labour of love!

Back