• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My first EP3 figured it's time to start a build thread

Today I learnt a lesson in humility brakes still weren't right yesterday turns out the caliper pistons are ****ed after all. With limited funds and no decent replacements around I'm rebuilding them myself. Parts on order: Refurb kit for both front calipers, 1.5L motul rbf600 and potentially braided lines. Spent my first day off in 12 days stripping and cleaning them ready for painting and draining the what once was brake fluid but now resembles dirty water out the car.
580ef59e3f2e425275247c7f5136eb31.jpg

f01b5cbca09c647fd759b6edb55d7c6c.jpg

b62fb74bffc3ceeaf31383d5b8efc784.jpg

Sticky sliders I should be so lucky! 6hrs later, nothing but hand tools and a garage floor and one pîssed off wife:
92d7b5fa4086d0ddc622403aa7828952.jpg

0746e0e9625a7c1597e7d0da81a265ff.jpg

b4810433db8b57470efb9142c316c301.jpg

a2788e4eb72f6235eef39585d9d75d06.jpg

Would have given my left arm for a parts washer or 20mins in a sandblaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so pistons and fluid turned up today, pistons now rebuilt and calipers about to go back on the car and the dreaded bleeding.....must give a shout out to jimbo and jamieboy for all the advice. Let's see if i can put it into practice without having to bench bleed the master cylinder!! I apologise in advance for any expletives on my next post if this doesn't go to plan.
1cca6c34bde5009b1363ce4dcff34466.jpg

c687b206f30794ac5130d1d9ae70e02c.jpg

Yea no point having them off and not giving them a lick of paint. Though the paint isn't the best quality so I doubt it will last long
82a2a5c0b169bae88f4e4333efaba775.jpg

Well 600ml of cheap fluid to start with (didn't want to waste the good stuff) and 1L of rbf600 I have brakes again. Woohoo, I've definitely still got air somewhere though as they feel spongy still but none the less the type r is mobile again will give them another bleed tomorrow as I've figured out I don't have to have the wheels off to do it which makes life much easier.

Funniest part of the day: taking it for a test drive and pulling over rapidly as I remembered I hadn't tightened the wheel nuts

Minor update. Rebled the brakes today and now they are spot on! Haven't ever felt that good. Took it for a blast today and after a week of hating on the car remember why I truely love it
Lesson of the day: wash the brake fluid off your hands before test driving as you'll realise the paint is coming off your brand new skunk2 weighted gear knob #imsuchadick

quick question where did you get a rebuild kit for your breaks and how much were you for it im doing a set as i bought a prem model and when it was delivered i had a new caliper "not embossed with the type r logo" ba*****s" so bought a set and am currently in the middle of refurbing them:)

look pink haha but are red
DSC_0065_zps5fnxdvia.jpg

Well after having the common idle hunting issue for a while my car finally stalled out a couple of times after being sat for over a week.
Stripped and cleaned my throttle body and idle control valve today (though nearly a disaster as one of the screws holding the idle control valve was seized but managed to get it out.....just).
Had to do this at work so didn't get any before pictures and was a little rushed but it was filthy!!
The finished results:
3459f354c3706711e84fcb9a9ea15f8a.jpg

a4444bebd31ff88e06ac93718bfc04ad.jpg

Idle issue now completely solved and sitting firm at 900rpm on warm tick over

Heavy duty rear drop links and 22mm rear arb from a DC5 fitted. Took 3 ****ing hours and I ended up having to hack saw and drill the old drop links off, plus broke my decent 1/2in ratchet. Absolute bàstard of a job, didn't take any photos I was too busy swearing at the car! Getting my tracking redone tomorrow, probably screwed it with all the on and off of wheels recently.
After all the drama I've had with it lately I'm not planning on anything else other than polishing the car for a while now. I need a break away from fixing it.
.........here's hoping!!

Ok so with the car running sweet thought I'd have a go at white carbon fibre wrapping the dash and door handle trims. On YouTube this looks easy , they lie!! In reality it's a nightmare! Probably spent the better part of 6hrs all in doing it and it still looks like it's been done by a partially sighted, one handed moron!!
Granted on a nice simple dash it may be easy but the ep centre console is far from simple with all the recesses, dials etc.
d0ae66e2682978842fef388eac68720c.jpg

02a0665aededa80274205a1ee8c43da7.jpg

be7bfb4ccd8818c437dd865c6332eac2.jpg

Am gonna live with my attempt for a while and if I like it I'll have someone that knows what they are doing and patience of a saint do it properly.....or just spray it a different colour

Looks good.... well done! looking forward to getting ours up to a nice clean standard once we pick it up....

Thanks. Most the hard work is in finding a decent ep3 to start with these days, wish I knew then what I know now! My wrap has already started to come away in the difficult spots unfortunately but I do love how it looks. Might have one more go at it myself then pay the professionals.
It's an expensive hobby, once you start modding you just cant stop lol

Glad to hear you got the brakes sorted. Probably the weakest point on these cars in my experience, as well as the part we most often take for granted.

Thanks. Most the hard work is in finding a decent ep3 to start with these days, wish I knew then what I know now! My wrap has already started to come away in the difficult spots unfortunately but I do love how it looks. Might have one more go at it myself then pay the professionals.
It's an expensive hobby, once you start modding you just cant stop lol

Yeah, don't get me started on EP3 consoles! They're the bane of my life. A well executed console does make a huge difference to the feel of the interior though. I do like the white carbon, excellent choice. Have you considered getting it hydro dipped? Painting is cheap, but it's a difficult shape to paint well, you can trust me on this!

Glad to hear you got the brakes sorted. Probably the weakest point on these cars in my experience, as well as the part we most often take for granted.

Yeah, don't get me started on EP3 consoles! They're the bane of my life. A well executed console does make a huge difference to the feel of the interior though. I do like the white carbon, excellent choice. Have you considered getting it hydro dipped? Painting is cheap, but it's a difficult shape to paint well, you can trust me on this!
The brakes were easily sorted once I got all the parts here, just had too much time to over think it waiting for them. Thanks for all the help on that once again.
It seems I pick all the fun jobs on civic i was told (by someone I shall shortly punish), carbon wrapping isn't that bad a job to do.......needless to say they LIED! I had originally considered hydro dipping, I may look into that a little more. Problem is I live in northampton and no one around here seems to do any quality work of any type. Having pride in your work seems to have passed this place by.

Ordered a few essential parts today as I have the cold start rattle and my cars at 112k; vtc cam gear (to cure my rattle), timing chain and tensioner (for peace of mind), all honda parts ordered from japserviceparts. Given the importance of these parts and consequences of incorrect fitment I shall now be spending the next month trying to find a trusted/reputable garage to fit them, if anyone has any recommendations in the northamptons/midlands area please let me know.
I plan on keeping the car for many years to come hopefully this work should go some way to ensuring it.

*also had 4 wheel alignment and balancing done today as well as a vinyl insert on my rear type R badge as it was a little tatty.

Back