• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My first Type R (EP3)

Hey guys, I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself and show you my car. My names Dave, I'm a new-found Type R convert, here are some pics of my new pride and joy, a 2005 EP3 Type R.

DSCF8001.jpg

Civicedit3.jpg

civicedit2.jpg

Civicedit1.jpg

DSCF8003.jpg

DSCF8006.jpg

Standard and unmodified apart from the exhaust, which to my eyes looks standard (and a bit road worn!) but sounds very fruity. Almost makes me think it has been de-resonated as I've seen on some Impreza and Lancer Evolutions which still had their standard exhausts on. It has a real rasp at low revs, especially when cold and howls at the top end like I've never heard from another EP3 (on the standard exhaust at least).

Anyway, I came to this car after owning a Seat Leon Cupra R, that was remapped and modified to about 265bhp. Obviously the straight line pace is not what the Cupra R had, but the Civic is so much more joyous to drive. It keeps the depth of it's ability hidden at first and I love revving straight into the Vtec range and shifting up at 8000rpm. It's easily the most rewarding and highest smiles per mile car I've ever driven!

Future plans, not much really. I want a decent catback system, I would love a Spoon N1 and Spoon B pipe but I might buy a second hand system, in which case I'll take whatever comes to the market at the right time! I would also like to have a go at fitting the Tegiwa air intake some time, but neither of these mods will be done in the next 5 minutes, but I'm not too bothered because the car is so good in standard form anyway.

I look forward to posting in other threads and getting to you know guys, cheers!

Dave

really nice car. reminds me of mine when i first got it. what are your plans for it?

I want a proper exhaust system on it. I love the sporty rasp the standard one has (especially early into journies, before it heats up properly and becomes smoother and bassier), something like a Spoon B-pipe and Spoon N1 would be great. That said, I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds and instead of buying a brand new system (since the Yen is very strong at the moment, new full systems from Spoon, 5Zigen etc, when you factor in the price of the back box and B pipe seem to come in at over £1000! If I see a good catback for sale second hand I will probably buy it. However, once I have the money set aside, if I can't find a good second hand kit I might just buy a new Buddy Club system. I'd like to stick with Japanese exhaust parts rather than American or European ones, even before I owned a Japanese car I thought the Japanese offerings were better!

For the intake side of things, I looked at a Mugen airbox, but decided against it after being warned by several people (including my boss, in a conversation at work today) that it sounds scarcely different from the standard Honda box. I will be getting a Tegiwa intake kit and having a go at fitting that myself at some point, the induction noise from the Gruppe M / Tegiwa kits is just crazy, and I've never seen another Type R in person with one on yet, as popular as this mod seems to be with online Type R owners.

I won't be going for any suspension upgrades, I had my last car on ultra-stiff coilovers, never again! The car feels sharp and willing as it is and it's very confidence inspiring in the corners. I feel that setup it has at the moment is more than enough for my talent on the road, and I never track my cars, so I don't see the need to spend a load of money on suspension parts and geometry tweaks that will not really benefit me on the road.

Another upgrade I plan on doing soon is phoning Honda to get the radio code, since I don't have it and can't use the stereo at the moment. I never listen to music while I'm driving - why buy a nice exhaust and intake, or go for a great sounding car like a Type R just to cover the noise with music? It's totally not for me, but I do like to sit in my car on my lunch break at work, then I do listen to music. But obviously not at minute, since I can't work the radio without code. Bummer!

Looks tidy bud, a spoon system might be a tad too loud though :)

Are they like unbelievably loud? I've always loved the Buddy Club exhausts, I think they make some great products, and I would love a BC Pro Spec for my car. I might leave the mods until after winter; I have this image of myself turning the car on, 6am on an icey morning to warm it up while I walk around deicing the windows, while my hilariously noisey exhaust wakes everyone in the street up, don't think I'd be too popular doing that!

Then again, I might just say "f*ck em" ;), there are some pretty loud cars in my street already. The Cupra R I owned before this had a Milltek exhaust and that was a proper bass-boom exhaust on start up and pulling away. It also used to pop and bang on a closing throttle, so when I came in from work at night I'd have all the windows down, listening to the drum-roll pops echoing off the houses. Glorious, and I know my Civic will sound even better!

The spoon system is probably one of the loudest set-ups for the ep3, not sure on the buddyclub but there's a few people on here that use them so hopefully they'll be able to give you some info but depends what you like at the end of the day I have a full dc sports system that's loud but not over the top.

Come to think of it, how different is the pipework for the DC5 to the EP3? Thing is, I have a friend of a friend selling an Apexi N1 that he has removed from his Integra DC5, for a good price. The pipework is a tatty and oxidised but you don't see that, and the box will polish up well. How much effort (from a professional exhaust fabricator / fitter) would it take to make that fit onto an EP3?

Am I dreaming the impossible dream?

I've got the spoon catback but not b-pipe and don't think its too loud. I think it would be if you got the complete system though.

I had a spoon manifold, b-pipe and backbox on my dc5. Yep its loud over 102db I recon so don't plan on many trackdays. Its no buddyclub spec 3 though is it that's LOUD.

Come to think of it, how different is the pipework for the DC5 to the EP3? Thing is, I have a friend of a friend selling an Apexi N1 that he has removed from his Integra DC5, for a good price. The pipework is a tatty and oxidised but you don't see that, and the box will polish up well. How much effort (from a professional exhaust fabricator / fitter) would it take to make that fit onto an EP3?

Am I dreaming the impossible dream?

The b-pipe is the same on the dc5 and ep3, the back box is longer though on the dc5.

Bummer. If I just wanted to buy a backbox, say a Skunk2 Megapower box, which according to their website comes in one of two inlet sizes (2.25" or 3") would a decent exhaust palce be able to fit it on to the existing pipework? What size of those two would be better (or correct) for the EP3?

I'm not that bothered about getting a straight-through B pipe or decatting the car, I just want a bit more volume and tone, which changing the backbox could provide, and I love the look of the big single exhaust outlet.

EDIT: I've found a 3" Skunk2 Megapower backbox, could that be jimmyed to fit (by a professional of course) onto the existing pipework on my EP3?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could with alot of work, IMO I would find something to match the b-pipe. 3inch is more suited to turbo/charged cars.

Back