• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 My FN2: love/hate

I just wanted to vent about my Type R, a 2007 FN2. Have had no problems really (just an air-con re-gas, and new brake pads/tyres), use it daily and have done 4 trackdays so far. Some days, if I'm in the right mood, its great fun. However if I wake up in a bad mood, or am tired, then the car does my head in. Does anyone else feel this? Is life better with an EP3?

True, it does come alive when pushing on a quiet country road, but on track it feels very slow indeed.

Loves: sharp handling, exterior look of front and side, seats, cruise control, built-in sat nav, steering wheel, folding rear seats, easily removable rear seats, roomy boot, the fact that you feel the need to push all the time, driving hard at night when nothing on the road, random people talking to me about how they love the car lol.

Hates: the crashy ride (although fixed with Eibach springs), rear visibility, exterior look of rear, fuel consumption, lack of torque with low revs, poor headlights, fact that everything needs upgrading for proper quick use, the fact that you feel the need to push all the time, squeaky clutch pedal, dull throttle pedal feel, cumbersome driving slowly in commuter traffic.

I will probably sell this autumn, although its going to be painful to leave the R family. I have a toddler and dog, and whilst wifey has a big slow Meriva, it would make sense for me to have something a bit more practical too. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what to get next? I want it to be fast and unique, yet practical and fuel efficient. Any ideas people? Focus ST? Subaru Legacy? Golf GTI? BMW 3 Series diesel estate?!!? Help! Nothing appeals to me right now, unless its Porsche/Aston/Jaguar territory lolz. Could get an EP3 for the half the price, but is that similar as a daily?

Will probably have to buy a go-kart to get that track fix in the future, and run a boring diesel on the road :-(

Any advise would be great, thanks.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rear visibility - yep nothing you can do about that!
exterior look of rear - Mugen rear bumper
fuel consumption - rubbish around town but should be mid 30s everywhere else unless you constantly thrash it
lack of torque with low revs - remap!
poor headlights - HIDs
fact that everything needs upgrading for proper quick use, the fact that you feel the need to push all the time - remap!
squeaky clutch pedal - I've got this, few how to guides on quick (ish) fixes
dull throttle pedal feel - remap!
cumbersome driving slowly in commuter traffic - remap!

So in summary, treat yourself to a Flashpro and remap and some HIDs and for less than £1k you've transformed the car and got rid of nearly all your cons. If that's a bit steep, a Flashpro with the GroupN map it comes with will considerably improve things anyway. Second hand ones go for around £400.

Fuel consumption - I think it's pretty good. Don't know what you're used to but i've had Supra, 300zx, Mitsubishi GTO, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Corvette, Trans Am, Camaro, etc and my FN2 Type R fuel economoy beats any of those by miles. It's even slightly better than my standard 2 litre Preludes of which i've had seven of. I'm actually really impressed with the fuel economy for a performance car. I think you'd be struggling to get anything better with the cars you've mentioned.

As said, Mugen rear diffuser improves the rear look, hopefully getting mine done in July.

Squeaky clutch pedal, also doing my head in. Also feels slightly grindy at times when lifting up from the floor.

Headlights, Again, don't know what you are used too but i find these ok. as said thoough, HID's and you're rocking.

Other issues, depends on what you want out of the car really. Remap will improve certain aspects but with any car you want to use for the rtack, you'll end up spending £££ to get it to how you want it. You may as well invest this in the car you have instead of getting another car and then having to invest in that anyway.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had my fn2 for a week now and I love it I've had 1.4 diesels and tbh the fuel consumption isn't bad I don't think, thats with hoofing it everychance i get. I probz put an extra £10 a week which is a lot of fun for a small price, if I was in ur situation I would spend the Money that u would buy another car with and improve yours (remap, mugen parts etc) coz u obviously want to keep the civic but ur just abit bored of it. My mate has a ep3 and don't get me wrong they great cars, but they don't have the comforts the fn2 has in my opinion.

I've had my FN2 for a few weeks now. I've had small engine hatchbacks (1.2 polo etc) prior to owning this.

MPG isn't that bad when compared with some of its rivals. I drive about 500miles a week and get on average 35MPG but closer to 40MPG when using the cruise control.

Rear visibility could be improved a little with parking sensors / reversing camera for parking at least. Not much else you can do there really.

If you really want to replace it with a car that is both practical / fuel efficient you'd be better looking at a Golf GTD or another sporty diesel really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had various cars VW's, BMW, Nissan... Had my FN2 from new in 2008 and is IMO one of the best cars I have had. I said I would only ever swap if a new r came out... And now it is but it may be some time before I can afford one.

All cars are have their positives and negatives....just have to find that compromise.

Back