• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My KPro adventure

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
I've started datalogging with the KPro and I have found that the car is knocking quite a lot in the higher RPM ranges. In one 10 minute run it's knocked a total of 40 times and I only went on the gas fully about 5 or 6 times for sustained periods.

After speaking to TP he's given me a guide on what to do. Basically from 6500 rpm up to 8500 rpm my AF ratio is about 12.8:1 and I'm wanting to increase this to the more accepted 13 -13.5:1.

I've cut the fuel slightly at the right cam angles and RPM speeds and will carry out firther logging as and when the roads are quiet and I've got enough fuel :lol:

Will report back on how it goes.

Yes it was System R mate. I'm speaking to Paul tomorrow and I'll be asking his view on the knocking. Humran didn't drive the car hard in all honesty, it wasn't his aim with it so propably wasn't concerned with the best map for it and if it knocked a few times at high RPM.

Since I drive like a getaway driver and I'll be tracking the car I want to make sure that the map is right for all conditions.

Plus this is enabling me to learn a lot about ECU mapping.

It's been said many times over that on the road and "live" mapping produces the best results as it is in conditions that dyno can not replicate so for the moment, untill I get told otherwise by a tuner, I'll carry on with what I'm doing.

MilanoChris said:
Yes it was System R mate. I'm speaking to Paul tomorrow and I'll be asking his view on the knocking. Humran didn't drive the car hard in all honesty, it wasn't his aim with it so propably wasn't concerned with the best map for it and if it knocked a few times at high RPM.

No offence to anyone, but if he paid for it to be mapped surely he'd been better off spending a few quid more & have it mapped properly? :?

I don't see how it can be knocking badly if it was originally mapped by System-R?

Getting the original map from Sys R and I'll compare the two.

SpaceMonkey said:
MilanoChris said:

No offence to anyone, but if he paid for it to be mapped surely he'd been better off spending a few quid more & have it mapped properly? :?
you mate the car was mapped properly at system-r at the end the money not the issue.

Type-R 69 said:
you mate the car was mapped properly at system-r at the end the money not the issue.

That makes no sense :?

It could be running richer because of something as simple as atmospheric conditions or a dirty airfilter.

If it was tuned on a very cold day then that could also be a reason why it runs a little rich.

Getting a car fully mapped is an expensive business, in 2 hours you can get a map pretty much right...but to perfect it you can be looking at 4 or 5 times that amount of time, and mapping aint cheap.

CTR_Paul said:
It could be running richer because of something as simple as atmospheric conditions or a dirty airfilter.

If it was tuned on a very cold day then that could also be a reason why it runs a little rich.

Getting a car fully mapped is an expensive business, in 2 hours you can get a map pretty much right...but to perfect it you can be looking at 4 or 5 times that amount of time, and mapping aint cheap.

I thought knock occured when it was running lean not rich? :?

SpaceMonkey said:
CTR_Paul said:

I thought knock occured when it was running lean not rich? :?

No.

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)—technically detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. Combusting stops suddenly, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.

And:

Engine knock refers to the premature ignition of fuel in a gasoline engine. There are two kinds of engine knock - strong knock and weak knock. We shall examine the more problematic of the two, strong knock, in this article. When it occurs, a rattling noise can be heard. This sounds similar to what happens when driving a car up a steep slope in too high a gear.

While weak knock can help increase flame speeds in an engine, strong knock can cause permanent damage and should be avoided.

Yes, but changing the timing only produces minute changes. Reducing the fuel so the ratio stays above 13:1 brings everything together.

Anyway I've just been out with a new map and I've got some results. Will post up shortly.

Well after being on the Phone to Paul at System R he's kindly e-mailed me a new map that he has which was set up for Gruppe M, Toda and Spoon Cat back on the Teg.

My spec is Gruppe M, Toda and T1R 63mm cat back.

I did a run for 10 minutes of varied driving including some frantic max throttle and also low speed 4th gear to 8500rpm ish.

Overall knock count is 36.

Loaded up the map Paul at TDI sent me and did 5 minutes of the same driving (5 minutes on the old one was to get to the quiet ish road where I did the runs). I also did the 4th gear runs.

Overall knock count is 0.

I'm really happy now that I know the car is running better. The exhaust note is more pronounced and it burbles and pops a lot more now on down changes. It used to sound really good, now it gives me a boner :lol:

Extremely happy with the way it's running now.

I wanted to do some 60-100 times on both maps but for some reason the speed reads incorrect on the datalog and live driving. It shows 70 when I am doing *cough* 100 on my private road. It is set for mph so if someone knows what that is I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Huge thanks to Sys R for supplying the map for me.

Glad to hear it's sorted Chris. 8)

Sounds like an odd problem with the speed being read incorrectly?!! I guess the VSS sensor setting is set to MPH otherwise it wouldn't display that.

Perhaps it's related to K-Pro's gear ratio field?

Suprised you got hold of Paul Chris, I've been trying to phone TDI for the past few days and not got any answer. :(

SpaceMonkey said:

Type-R 69 said:

That makes no sense :?
Well this might make sense to you i was the owner of the car before chris bought it off me.

Humran, was the car mapped with the Apexi exhaust? Or perhaps when the T1R was new?

Perhaps the change of exhaust/carbon coating on the new one might have altered the resistance and hence the A/F ratio?

Well I'm happy now anyway. Exhaust made some proper meaty back blast noises on the way home today when lifting off. Wonder if it's spitting flames :twisted:

MilanoChris said:
Humran, was the car mapped with the Apexi exhaust? Or perhaps when the T1R was new?

Perhaps the change of exhaust/carbon coating on the new one might have altered the resistance and hence the A/F ratio?

Well I'm happy now anyway. Exhaust made some proper meaty back blast noises on the way home today when lifting off. Wonder if it's spitting flames :twisted:
Chis the car was mapped Apexi exhaust.Glad you you got it all sorted out :D

Type-R 69 said:
MilanoChris said:

Chis the car was mapped Apexi exhaust.Glad you you got it all sorted out :D

No probs mate. It's nothing you'd notice under normal driving. Only because I like playing and have started datalogging did I become aware of the problem.

How is the M3?

Back