• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 My mini review of the FD2 - update 10th June 2012

Nice little write up mate :) .

Should have bought that Mugen one we were talking about in Starbucks last year ;) :lol: .

It's still the best handling car i've ever driven.:cool:

As you say no understeer and you can just push on with little effort.

The difference between ep3 & fd2 is night and day, the RE070 tyres work really well even in the wet you could get good heat in them.:)

i drove an fd2 when they first landed on our turf. being honest i wasnt impressed.
yes it handled great and was pretty quick but for the money at the time i couldnt see the point. it was 10k more than the dc5 and only marginally quicker. its a great car , dont get me wrong but at the time i couldnt see the point of being an extra 10k out of pocket.

Nice write up Stu, shame to see Drew selling her, this was the first FD2 I saw on the roads a few years back now when I popped up to TGM for a mini meet and to see what all the fuss was about :). It has a road presence I don't either any of the other Rs can match and sounded good too as I think he had the Toda exhaust on at the time :D.

Excellent review Stu, enjoyed reading that and you do paint a picture of a very capable car. I just don't think they are worth nearly £20K when you can pick up a really nice DC5 for half the price. Would you agree having tried both, or do you think its a worthy upgrade?

i drove an fd2 when they first landed on our turf. being honest i wasnt impressed.
yes it handled great and was pretty quick but for the money at the time i couldnt see the point. it was 10k more than the dc5 and only marginally quicker. its a great car , dont get me wrong but at the time i couldnt see the point of being an extra 10k out of pocket.

Completely agree with this. It's exactly what I thought when I drove one 2 years ago or so.

Excellent review Stu, enjoyed reading that and you do paint a picture of a very capable car. I just don't think they are worth nearly £20K when you can pick up a really nice DC5 for half the price. Would you agree having tried both, or do you think its a worthy upgrade?

If you shop around you can pick them up in the low 17's, they are a different car to the DC5, it has four doors for a start - It is natural progression I feel, newer car FTW. DC5's are hitting £7k territory again, I think finding a decent one will prove difficult shortly.

If you dont mind me asking, but what cars and bikes do you currently have then?

Apart from the FD2 (until it sells), I have a month old Ducati Multistrada 1200, '06 Ibiza Cupra TDI, '95 SL500, an ancient BMW R100 and a 12yo Pan European (also for sale)

Knowing what I know now, I would probably have kept my DC5 and gone loopy on the tuning...but at the time the FD2 made sense. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep it now, but the SL means more to me sentimentally so it has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a duplicate post from theh thread titled 'Is it Evo time?'

It is a useful reference, for people considering an Evo/FD2 as a choice of car.

Well I went and drove it today..

It was a bit of a let down :?

The car itself was pretty much pristine, it is over-priced yes. The only fault I could find with it was that the carbon blade on the spoiler was a bit cloudy, also the tyres at the front were budget ones. Other than that it was a pretty tight car.

It went like **** off a shovel but then so did my VI and that was half the price, the turbo spooled up nicely and there were no knocks or dodgy noises coming from the suspension or diffs. The seats were very good and the engine note sounded awesome. - The MR's come with a HKS system as standard.

However..

The negatives.. The car had 1/4 tank of fuel left. I only drove for around 15-20 miles on a mixture of dual carriageways, bypass straights with roundabouts and some urban driving - When I pulled back in to the stealership the light had come on. Not good.

You need to have a telescope to see what speed you are doing and as it gets up to speed fairly easily you find yourself constantly trying to see what speed you are doing. I did not like the gearbox either, it seemed very notchy but I have heard the Evo 6 speed box is a bit naff anyway but then I am used to the honda six speed box which is a dream. Also the dash is pretty naff and basic, there were a few rattles inside which I could not pinpoint.

CIMG1501.jpg

I found the suspension fairly stiff, it was similar to the FD2 in that respect. Handling was phenomenal as expected but then so was the FD2's, although I did not really push it that hard with the salesman in the passenger seat. Even though he owned a VI himself.

Overall and most importantly though I was not blown away, I did not get the same grin factor that I did when I got out of the FD2 recently. Deep down financially I am pleased about that.

I will not be buying another Evo, certainly for the time being anyway. My next car was narrowed down to an 8MR/9 or an FD2. I actually preferred my VI to the 8, it seemed a bit more like an 'Evo' should seem. :?

Here is another picture of the car for anyone that is interested.

IMG_0793.jpg

I expect the 9 is similar to the 8MR so I have written a test drive in one of those off.

I think in the near future I will be sticking with slick gear changes, high revving N/A fun, oh and save around £5k+ a year at the same time on consumables/servicing and petrol. I have done the boost thing and I have got it out of my system.

I awlays thought that the CW FD2 was the one to get, until I saw the black one coming twards me on the way back from Japfest.

Creamworthy.

I like blue myself. Saying that I like the blue FN2s as well! :lol:

How was the backend Dotty? Through fast bends, and under hard braking into bends? Any snap off oversteer like the DC2 or was she stable as the DC5?

Jay

How was the backend Dotty? Through fast bends, and under hard braking into bends? Any snap off oversteer like the DC2 or was she stable as the DC5?

Jay

Stable as hell, I tried to get it twitchy but it wouldn't.. Drew may verify that as he was behind me most of the way :lol:

Stable as hell, I tried to get it twitchy but it wouldn't.. Drew may verify that as he was behind me most of the way :lol:

Thats great for a "longer" 4 door car, rather than a 3dr Hatch or Coupe. I found that in the DC5, you could push it soo hard, even if you came into an unknown bend hard and had to lift of and dab the brakes it was really stable, inspires alot of confidence.

Sounds really positive, i can see why you want one! Do you think when you lift of at higher speeds on a bend the AST's helped keep the suspension tight even when the weight transfer occurs?

How would you compare it to the DC5 dude?

What a awesome vid, FD2 did really well agaisnt the NSX, power advantages of the 350Z and the NA2 were obvious on the straight.

Stability was part of the reason for my upgrade...I'm apparently "known" for being quite late on the brakes, the DC5 used to get a bit twitchy forcing me to back off. You'll need to try much harder Dotty...perhaps we should go back up there and I'll borrow it back for a bit!

Lift off or dab the brakes? No, just turn in a bit more, it'll go :D

Back