• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My new EP3 CTR 2004

Hi guys
£730 that's quite reasonable for a rebuild I'm in the process of changing jobs at the moment so funds are a bit on the low side I was going to try some 5w 40 but wondered if would clog up as I only work about half a mile from home phoned honda and they said 0w 20 which I think is far to low for a 100k + car going to keep an eye on it this week to see if there is any difference using that valve seal lubricant. I have seen some people saying they can use a litre between 500 - 1000 miles although i think that is high.

Do a compression test on all cylinders then try it again with a teaspoon of oil in each pot. If the compression is higher with the oil in then it's more than likely your oil rings that are shot and not your valve stem seals. Google compression tests for a bit more info on it.

Mine uses no oil on long trips with max 5000rpm. When i drive in vtec all the time it uses 1l on 1000miles

Thanks Martyn I have just looked on Google for compression test. I am keeping an eye on it over the next 500 miles so I can get an exact reading with the trip meter but if it's still using excessive amounts I will have to go down this route.

antidote that's good that yours doesn't use oil as I have heard they can use a little oil depending on how they are run in and what thickness of oil you use. It's quite hard to stay in vtec constantly on normal driving due to traffic but I'd imagine if it were used on a track then it would 1l to 1000miles maybe more.

Carbon fiber centre console

So I have finally finished carbon wrapping my centre console and installing my new stereo as I'm not a fan of the oem one. Before and after. The after picture isn't great it was getting dark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys
im looking for a bit of advice after spending some time with this car I've had a chance to see whats wrong with it and after toying with the idea of getting rid I've decided to keep it and sort out the problems as I like it and there isn't that much out there that offers much more for the money like golf r32, leon cupra r etc.
so here are my issues any advice would be greatly appreciated first of all the gears are really notchy especially when cold and in vtec I'm always double clutching as it doesn't like going from 3rd to 4th but I'm thinking a new clutch will resolve this as I'm often having to double clutch out of vtec aswell and also the car is using rediculous amounts of oil I measured on the trip the other day and filled the oil to the top mark with 5w30 fully synthetic and in 651 miles it was right at the bottom of the dipstick. There is white smoke coming from the exhaust not sure if it's steam though as I can only see it in traffic can't see when I'm driving on motorway etc but if I floor it in 3rd gear then I see smoke out the back. Now I'm pretty sure this is going to be a new clutch and some form of work on the engine but would appreciate any help on where to start or if anyone has any other ideas on what these problems may be.
Thank you in advance.:D

How many miles has it done?

Your gearbox issues do sound very much like a worn clutch. Replace it with the full kit of a new friction disc, new pressure plate and a genuine Honda bearing. Exedy clutches are good, the Honda one is is just a reboxed Exedy OEM clutch. While you are at it check the gearbox and none of the engine mounts aren't split and change the gearbox oil with Honda MTF-3. Should be good as new then.

With regards to it losing oil, some cars don't like 5w-30 very much. Try swapping it out for a fully synthetic 5w-40 and you'll probably find it uses a lot lot less oil. Assuming you don't have an obvious leak that's what I'd do before hunting round for issues with the engine. If things don't improve then have a look. Honda do say though that 1l per 800 miles is acceptable.

Hi loxy thank you for the advice I have recently put in 5w 40 oil and in 400 miles it hasn't burnt a drop so it seems a slight difference in oil thickness makes a big difference it has done 105k so I'm not suprised the clutch is wearing down although it's only when cold when it warms up it does feel smoother but may replace it in the near future if starts to bother me too much but thanks for the tip with the oil thought this was was going to be expensive turns out £30 and a trip to halfords was all it needed.

Back