• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 My new Type R (CTR)

Hi Guys,

First of all I should have signed up to this forum ages ago! Great place for information.

Apologies in advance as I'm sure someone in the forum must have asked this before and after a search I have seen in the FAQ it does mention this - As it does in the manual. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions are regarding the below.

Breaking in an almost new type R 2011 plate.

I have bought a 6 month old type R FN2 with just over 5000 miles on the clock. Loving it!

I did notice in the FAQ, it mentions just over 600 miles breaking in period.

I asked a guy at my local Honda garage (where I bought the car from) how long I would need to drive it gently or normal acceleration before I could (when safe) accelerate quick if needed. He replied after the car reaches 8000- 9000 miles on the clock. Now I’m confused. Will driving it not so gently reduce the engines/cars performance or life span???

Little off topic - This is my second FN2 Type R. I did have a 2007 model in Silver for just under a year but wanted a newer one.

New one is in Milano Red.

Do you guys think I need to wait till 8000 - 9000 miles have passed on my car? Obviously keeping everything within legal limits. I basically want the car to last and keep everything working well as I intend to keep this car for a long time!

Thanks and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area of the forum.

Most people drive them like bitches from day one.

Wring its neck and it will thank you for it. 8)

I've been told the same as Scouse.

The consensus seems to be that they are good to go straight out of the box. A 8-9k running in period is bordering on ludicrous to be honest.

As long as the car is maintained and serviced regularly, the car will last forever even if thrashed daily.

Back