• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Nhb EP3....now with full vinyl wrap!

any tint on the fronts is illegal

Wrong, you're allowed upto 30% on the fronts

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
30% on the fronts is illegal as it would be letting 30% light through which you you just said;

must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

yeah that sounds about right, Cars come from the factory around 70 - 76%.. ive tested this with a window tint device, adding anything darker then 70% is illegal.. which is **** i know and it makes it pointless adding a "legal" tint shade because you cant really tell anything is on! so yeah you can have legal tint but its pointless! IMO :)

I wish i had picture too show how pointless it is! :) ive always liked 35% on my fronts but if you get pulled by a w***er then your gonna be ripping them off ^^

70% is like normal glass shade
5% is like limo :)

my 30% was a 30% tint, meaning 70% of light would go through,

Why would I write something which contradicted itself?

Getting confusing! every tint company ive used has always been ;

5% = 5% light through (limo)
20% = 20% light through (More rear standard factory tinted glass like on the 30th A ep3)
35% = 35% light through (would be something like you used on your fronts?)
and so on..

so 70% = 70% light through.. which is just like looking through a normal car window untinted!

dunno if i make sence so im gonna shut up and drink my own ****! :D

Most tinting companies refer to VLT, rather than the amount the tint cuts...hence the confusion above.

I think what I think what JamesT meant, is that the front windows are tinted glass already up to the legal maximum, so any further aftermarket tints would make them illeagal.

(Looks at own members car thread pics. :oops:)

I think what I think what JamesT meant, is that the front windows are tinted glass already up to the legal maximum, so any further aftermarket tints would make them illeagal.

(Looks at own members car thread pics. :oops:)

That's it Loxy. I remember it being changed a couple of years ago, and a friend of mine being pulled over and made to pull his front tints off by the Popo and VOSA.

The S4 I bought last year came with tints on. Never been that interested in them personally so gave it no more thought, until I got pulled a month into ownership...turned out the fronts were about 17% VLT :eek:

Back