• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

my rear tyres have worn on the inside what can i do

the rear tyres have worn to the wire on the inside and the tyre and the tyre alignment centre have said there isnt any adjustment what can i do about it?its 1.5% out on both sides

If that 1.5% is - degrees, well then yes its out, its just past the FRSU (Fast Road Set Up) general setting -1 camber.

Thing is though, it sounds like its out quite a lot, if its worn through to the wire, what is the rest of the tyre like, low?????

On the rear wheels there are camber arms which control the camber of the wheel. By adjusting these you can set the car up to have more grip in the corners, light adjustments wont really harm the tyre at all, but the more aggressive you go the worse the wear. As standard arms are not adjustable so aftermartket adjustabel ones are bought.

If the rear arms are no adjustabel maybe someone has fabricated some fixed arms of their own.

IIRC ABP do their own fixed, no adjustabel arms.

my tires are 0.1 tread left

Well then thay're well past legal limit anyway and the effects of slight camber my be visualy exagerated by the fact that they are so worn.

Change the tyres and keep an eye on the wear.

Can you take a picture of your rear wheel, showing the hub and suspension?

Straddling speed cushions, rather than having one wheel on, one wheel off is a major cause of this.

my tires are 0.1 tread left

ouch you were driving a car with such dangerious tyres, good job you didn't crash, as suits has said if the camber needs adjusting on the back, good aftermarket stuff will set you back around £70 plus then the cost of getting the arms fitted and the wheels realigned

Its more likely to be the toe angle causing SEVERE inside tyre wear, camber has to be pretty EXTREME to cause severe wear in relation to the rest of the tyre

i mean they are still legal but only just think he said they have 1.7 left on them and 1.6 is ilegal. i have had them changed now and didnt get a chance to get a picture of the wear but it was bad,you could feel the step on the inside where the tyres had worn. should i just keep an eye on them or should i get the adjustable arms?

also the toe wasnt out by much and was only on one wheel the other was spot on.the wear was even on both rear tyres on the inside,they said it was the camber that was causing the wear and said about the ajustable arms and i also went into honda that said they have had problems with it and can buy from honda the adjustable arms which come out at nearly 100 each is there any other place i can get them from

Its a known fault on the EP3 get some camber adjusters and have the FRSU done and it will solve the problem, I had the same issue on mine.

Its more likely to be the toe angle causing SEVERE inside tyre wear, camber has to be pretty EXTREME to cause severe wear in relation to the rest of the tyre

Bit of a thread bump.

I've noticed my front tyres are a bit worn on the inside edge. I'm getting the FRSU checked on Tuesday and I'm wondering if it's the toe out that's caused this much wear on the inside when the rest of the tyre is around 3mm. From memory I think my front it toed out 1.5 deg. I might ask TDi if it can be set to 1.

Also after opinions although I will ask the tyre monkeys in the morning, is this illegal or is it measured against the inner three channels and the in/outside are OK as long as they are in good condition? Only reason I'm wondering is that the Bridgestones have stepped inner and outer profiles, where the tread is raised to the same level as the wear indicators.

N/S that I think might be iffy:

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

O/S that looks OK to me:

IMAG0219.jpg

I do have a set of Falkens that I can put straight on, but I'm a tight git and don't want to be changing tyres if they don't need it... :lol:

Answered my own question! :lol:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

The legal minimum tread depth for cars and light trailers (including caravans) up to 3500 kgs gross vehicle weight and/or 8 seated passenger vehicles including driver is:
A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference (see illustration below).
tyre-law-depth1.gif

My tyres are OK according to this.

Looks fine, and is legal as you say. Might want to knock the toe in ever so slightly.

Back