• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My type r project

Hi All

I am starting this project thread on my ep3 type R so I can post over time and show how I am getting on with modifications
I have done a couple of mods so far and I plan to spend the next 18 months to two years getting it all done :-D

Spec so far -
Injen induction kit
Piper s/s exhaust
reflashed ECU
18" GTR alloys
Full ice install
Mugen spoiler

Right I will start with how the car looked when I bought it

IMG_0479.jpg

With full leather interior which I like alot

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Then I bought a set of 18" GTR alloy's ( I know the car needs lowered a bit and bigger tyre's which I will be doing soon :wink: )
also I am selling the original type r wheels if anyone is interested .

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Then I got one of brunscivic rocker covers in black with OEM wrinkle ( excellent work from brun very impressive
and I got a polished metal cover for the fuse box and black Mugen oilcap.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

I have a polished inlet manifold to go on the civic aswell it needs a polish again just to get
out the imperfections and to get it shining again.

IMG_0625.jpg

I am going to be putting a lot of effort into the engine bay as I want the engine bay to be show quality
things I am planning are.

At some point I will be completely cleaning out the engine bay so it is spotless.
I will be taking off the injen induction kit ( so I will be selling it later on in the year )
and replacing it with one of these AEM V2 , Gruppe m or the Tegiwa induction kit I am not sure which one I want yet so any recommendations welcomed :mrgreen:
J'S strut brace with the ends powder coated black
ancillary silicone hose kit ( 15 hoses I think )
Radiator silicone hoses ( for all the hoses I am thinking of going for blue but either white or luminous green might be a option aswell )
Tegiwa engine damper
Woolie socks for around the brake reservoir things
Nice looking battery with a nice tie down bar
Carbon coil pack cover
Carbon inlet manifold cover
alloy radiator
coil over suspention
billet engine mounts like these ones of ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVID-K20-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfdfa5ad0
I am not sure what to do with the a/c hose at the front of the engine, any ideas to make it look better guy's ?
If you can think of anything else I can do to the engine bay to make it look nicer please tell me as I am looking to get the engine bay looking amazing [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Ok onto the body work
I was originally looking for a facelift ep3 type r
but when I found this one with full leathers and low mileage I bought it so I plan to do a full facelift conversion on it.

I have put on a Mugen style spoiler with a matt black wrap on the fin.
you can also see the piper exhaust in the picture I am happy with it for the time being but eventually will get a custom built exhaust on it in the future.

IMG_0597.jpg

Is there any one who could photoshop the picture above so the wheels are black to give me a idea how they would look in that colour cheer's :mrgreen:
IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

I am planning on putting on the facelift bumper and grill
facelift front wings with no indicator
facelift wing mirrors with indicators
either facelift rear lights or tinting out the rear lights on the car at present myself ( I have done this a couple of times before on previous cars i have had )
I am thinking of getting the alloys powder coated gunmetal grey but lately I am thinking of getting them done in jet black
Wind deflectors for the windows
I have seen vented front wings so I might go for a set of them
maybe in the future a carbon bonnet ( if you have a carbon bonnet on your ep3 could you post some pics please )
A black sun strip with the Mugen symbols on the passengers side of the strip
a couple of stickers here and there but nothing to significant.
And taking off the civic badge
Also I have bought a set of facelift headlights which I am going to be refurbing myself soon and putting on the car.

IMG_0623.jpg

I also got the wiring looms to go with the headlights from fleabay from another guy who had done the same with his car which unfortunately he was breaking.

IMG_0624.jpg

I think that's all I want to do to the bodywork of the car :mrgreen:

Ok onto the interior

the interior I am happy with as it's in mint condition and its got full leathers and a ice install
the only thing I am going to be doing is getting a carbon hydro dip graphics on the centre console and inside door handles and maybe the surround around the rev counter.

I will post my ice install with pictures in the next few days and the couple of little things I will be changing.

Thanks for looking chap's and any comments or suggestions for me are welcomed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good mate, get the aem cold air intake or the tegiwa. Unless you come across a gruppe m for a bargain

Ok lads another update :-D

I fitted the door handles I carbon wrapped and they look nice.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

I am happy on the way they turned out :wink:

also my heko wind deflector arrived and they look sweeeet :mrgreen:

IMG_0721.jpg

and on the car

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

also took a couple of photos of the car which I liked
I know the car needs lowered to get it to look right which I will be doing shortly :mrgreen:

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

The photos were taken off my Iphone and I think they turned out very good :)

I want your headlight loom :(, could you post a close up photo of the loom if possible?

Hi mate

I am on holiday in marmaris at the moment
When I get back from holiday on Tuesday
I will take some more close Photos and pm them to you mate:)

those leather seats are amazing! never seen those before

Cheers Tom

Leather seats in the ep3 type r are very hard to come by
I looked for ages and one came up and I traveled 500 miles
To get it then 500 miles home with it LOL
But it was worth it as its factory leathers and they are really nice :)

Just did a quick job on photoshop for you, painted the rims, lowered it, and tinted the rear light.. hope its ok :)
IMG_0597-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0597.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_05917.jpg

Luke

Cheer lads

Thank you Luke for the photoshopping my picture as it
Gives me a very good idea of what I am wanting to do.
You done a really good job with the photo thank you very very much:)

No problem nizmo, I enjoy doing it.. If you need anything else done just send me a pm and ill try my best with it :D those rims are sweet, also loving the mugen spoiler, think that'll be my next addition!

a small update

I bought a couple of things for the civic
I will be saving up for lowering the car
but I had some spare cash and bought a couple of small things

1. matt black plastidip for spraying the centre console
2. m factory weighted gear knob
3. tint spray for tinting the tail lights

only the plastidip has arrived and I sprayed my centre console today and I pealed the carbon wrap off my door handles and sprayed them also.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

I posted this on the other civic forum and a guy said it looks kind of bland which was fair enough as I wanted opinions whether it was good or bad :)
but for me I really like it in matt black as I want to go for the stealth look to the car to me I think matt black is ace :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks good, how durable is it though? ive seen vids on youtube of people doing the whole car, and rims!!

Hi mate

I think to do it on your car exterior or wheels would require the plastidip top clear coat to make sure it does not peel IMO.
If you scrapped you nail across the plastidap with a little force it will defo peal.
so I would not put it on the exterior but if the clear coat was applied I am sure it would be fine.
I was testing the plastidip on my centre console and I am very happy with the results but I will
be taking the console back out next month and I will give it another couple of coats with the plastidip
then put the plastidip clear top coat on as well to insure it does not peal and will last for a long time. :lol:

Ok my M factory weighted gear knob arrived today and it looks amazing
I cant believe how heavy the gear knob actually is.
it is very good quality.

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Yea thats exactly what i was thinking, like for washing it and all it wouldnt be any good, especially cause i wash mine 2 or 3 times a week :D, but yea maybe with the clear coat it might be better, gear knob looks awesome, and cant wait to see the rear tinted lights when you get the paint!
Make sure you post the pics :D haha
Luke

Back