• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 nearly two months in on fn2 type r

After doing nearly 3000 miles in nearly two months I've grown very fond of my car, all the little niggles that worried me at the beginning are still exactly the same and haven't got worse so this must be how the car is. Only bad thing about it is the ride on bumpyish roads, but other than that I love it. And after doing a longish run on b roads with a few over takes and taking it easy, can manage 38 mpg, not to shabby.

I can't decide if I should service it myself after the next service or keep paying honda to do it as this would keep the value higher when I ever sell it, what does everyone else do? Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find the ride pretty harsh but you'll get used to it :)
also it's all down to personal preference with servicing save money now and do it yourself, or pay the extra and sell for a higher price later on.

Yeah true, might pay for service this year and then do it myself from the following year as I plan on keeping it a good while.

Agree on the ride, but only around town. Motorways and B roads are fine I find.

My only niggle is the seatbelt keeps getting caught in the lever on the side of the seat. Everytime I get in and pull it forward it nearly always catches. Probably my most minor niggle since car ownership began, so all good! :)

My only niggle is the seatbelt keeps getting caught in the lever on the side of the seat. Everytime I get in and pull it forward it nearly always catches. Probably my most minor niggle since car ownership began, so all good! :)

Haha, that winds me up as well. It's bad enough trying to reach back behind a bucket seat for the belt without it getting snagged!
I also find that when I tip my seat to let the kids climb into the back (MY kids, don't worry) it never goes back into position so I have to adjust it. Only have them at weekends though so not a biggy, just surprising.

I only picked my FN2 up on 1st Feb but I've done nearly 1k miles already on a variety of roads.
I've read a lot of reviews describing it as "hard to live with" but I haven't found that at all. Maybe if you were used to cruising around in modern executive cars then it might feel harsh but it's a dream compared to most cars I've owned. If I did most of my driving in town centres then I'd probably choose something else because it is jarring but on the open road it's fantastic.
Chucked a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A2s on it straight away on the advice of Loxy.

In terms of fuel economy it's not great but I knew that before buying and was willing to take the hit in exchange for a bit of fun.

The i-vtec engine is weird. I owned a Lexus IS200 a few years ago that was similar in that it was high revving (VVT-i) and hit a power band at around 6k but it didn't feel anything like this, it was RWD and straight six with pull at the lower end. There's hardly any torque in the Type-r engine yet it can pull up pretty severe hills without having to drop down through the gears and I've found it to be very forgiving in terms of gear selection from 4th - 6th so I find it very easy to drive.

Looks aside, my favourite thing about this has to be the sound. Mine is completely standard (as far as I'm aware) but I can't help giving it some stick on open roads just to hear that roar and my kids love it too!

All of my family (except for my mum *), friends and colleagues love it and comment on how nice it looks.

Gadget-wise, it's got almost everything I need. Not fussed about parking sensors because... well, I can drive.
My one niggle that I should have researched more before buying is the lack of iPod / Aux input so I'll need to sort that out before long (unfortunately the money I was putting aside for that will now have to be used for removing the artwork that some chav smackhead has scratched into to my bonnet / wing already!). My 99 Volo S40 had a tape deck so I bought an aux adaptor that slotted into that and the quality was actually really good. With a CD player I don't even had that option so will need to get to the back of the head unit.

Oh and the other day I'd given it a bit of stick on the way to my parents', only slowing as I got close to their place and there was a tinny rattle underneath as I was parking. I couldn't see anything and it was gone by the morning so I'm hoping it was just a heat shield or something!

Other than that, love it!! 8)

*My mum hates it because:
a) It's fast so she's waiting for that phone call;
b) She's too fat for the bucket seats;
c) She's too fat to get into the back.

I've put a k&n panel filter in and when you put your foot down it makes a noticable change in tone, I had same problem with aux, I bought something off eBay but it didn't work, after ripping all the dash out, there are other ones for about 30 quid but I thought can't be bothered doing that again, so I went to a1 motor stores and bought a fm transmitter for 10 quid and bough a longer aux lead for 2 pounds and it does the job as good as a aux plugged in back of stereo.

I've put a k&n panel filter in and when you put your foot down it makes a noticable change in tone, I had same problem with aux, I bought something off eBay but it didn't work, after ripping all the dash out, there are other ones for about 30 quid but I thought can't be bothered doing that again, so I went to a1 motor stores and bought a fm transmitter for 10 quid and bough a longer aux lead for 2 pounds and it does the job as good as a aux plugged in back of stereo.

There's threads on here about the different options and adaptors. My mate used to use one of those FM transmitters in his Mk4 Golf and it was decend enough but prone to interference. The adaptors recommended here aren't expensive and have been tested by a number of members so I'll get around to it eventually. Either that or bite the bullet and take it to a place called IceBeat near me in Stoke to see what they can do.
Probably shouldn't be my priority but a NEED music!

Feel your pain on the seat folding. I make my little girl get in on the passenger side every time so I avoid the issue!

Mine came with a K&N panel filter, but not sure what effect if any it has on engine noise in VTEC. The FN2 is noticeably angrier sounding than the EP3 which was a nice bonus when I first drove the car.

It's really easy to do when I did it took about 45 mins if I did it again it would probably take 20 minutes if that, now I know what I'm doing, still might do eventually,but I'm happy for now.

I do same everyone gets in passenger side haha, that noise might be the subframe creak, dirt gets into it and makes that noise there's something on Google looks an easy job remove 3 bolts loosen another and give it a good clean, I'm going to do it when weather gets nicer.

...that noise might be the subframe creak, dirt gets into it and makes that noise there's something on Google looks an easy job remove 3 bolts loosen another and give it a good clean, I'm going to do it when weather gets nicer.

Maybe, didn't sound like it would be that though. It was very tinny and I actually thought a heat shield had come off and was dragging or I'd got something metal trapped somewhere and it was clanking about. Baffled me when it had gone again in the morning.

Yeah I've seen that, mate. I haven't heard anything since though so don't know if that was the issue. I'll see if it happens again then investigate.

Back