• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Need Air Filter/Airbox Advice!

Got my new ep3 everything is standard apart from the airbox has been removed and replaced with an air filter. Not sure if its a proper one or a cheapy, but im just concerned about heatsoak etc or if its really a big deal? The pipe is the standard one. As I said all the previous owner has done is remove the airbox and put in an air filter. As you all know it sits very close to the engine so when its hot will it make a big difference?

I have no money now to buy any kits etc so have considered putting the standard airbox back in, but I love the noise when hitting vtec. Advice would be much appreciated. :)

If the air filter is open with no box enclosing it you will probably be loosing power because of heatsoak And it will generally just get clogged up with Crap !

how do I upload pics without having to put in an URL? iv got some mate on my laptop but asks about an URL
You're better off signing up to photobucket load your pics on there then post the URL should come straight up then.

As for the air filter, if it's the type I think it is, I'm not a fan I think they are rubbish that's all they got going for them is the noise but, as said, sometimes can decrease your power. Personally I would get the standard airbox on there. If you want to change it in the future save up and get a decent one.

So really folks you think the standard airbox would be better? Some people tell me not to worry about it the way it is and others tell me id be aswell change it. Noise is nice but as most im sure, id rather have THE FULL power. And on another note what do you guys think of the k&n typhoon? or still too much heat soak? I notice its further from the engine bay itself cause of the pipe. cheers again

It's mostly personal preference I think you're better off with the standard airbox rather than what you got. The standard airbox is pretty good on these anyway.

As for the typhoon there are some people running them on their cars but I wouldn't use it tbh. If you are after upgrading the Gruppe m is the proven daddy but it's expensive, tegiwa do a copy of it for cheaper. The ITG Maxogen is decent too.

Look at the AEM and Injen CAI kits they are also good but as the filter sits down by the wheel arch there is a risk of hydrolock.

The typhoon and similar kits give mostly just noise and hardly if not any extra power.

For now, if I was you, I would put the standard airbox back on and get a replacement air filter. Be aware because it won't give any sound but I think the sound has a placebo effect, a mate of mine took his apexi off his and put the standard airbox on and at first he thought it was slower but now he thinks that it's running a little better with the standard airbox.

Get the tegiwa carbon fibre induction kit cant fault it excellent bit of kit costs £350 *** but well worth it for the performance and the sound ,,:)
So really folks you think the standard airbox would be better? Some people tell me not to worry about it the way it is and others tell me id be aswell change it. Noise is nice but as most im sure, id rather have THE FULL power. And on another note what do you guys think of the k&n typhoon? or still too much heat soak? I notice its further from the engine bay itself cause of the pipe. cheers again

ok cheers for the info. think ** fire on the standard airbox in the next week when im free and have a clean filter, and next month or after get the tegiwa.

ok cheers for the info. think ** fire on the standard airbox in the next week when im free and have a clean filter, and next month or after get the tegiwa.
Dim problem :). Good choice let us know how you get on and don't forget to post some pics.

Standard airbox can be modded for little to no cost too, to improve airflow. If you have a dremmel, or some other suchlike tool, it's a piece of p!ss. Search Hondata airbox mod and there'll be a how to somewhere. I'd find it for you but tbh, I cant be bothered ;)

Back