• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Need clutch changing. Worth putting in a lightened fly wheel?

Hi all.

Need the clutch on my 02 ep3 doing. The release bearing is whirring away so suppose its a sign of needing a change.

Is it worth putting in a lightened fly wheel in whilst its getting done?

Can anyone recommend a good one and how light to go.

Car is modified, spoon n1, aem v2, vibra technics mounts etc... and I
Go 1/4 miling every so often. So would a lighter flywheel benefit me?

Cheers

Paul

Have you done any other performance upgrades apart from intake and exhaust?
I would leave a standard flywheel and clutch unless you are planning to go for more bhp.
Get a remap instead :D

K100 and remap is on the list.
Other then that, I have rotas, carbon bonnet, quick shift. Eibachs etc. so just handling upgrades and weight saving etc.
I just though whilst the gearbox is off a might aswell stick lighter fly wheel in it.
Might just put a facelift flywheel in it. I belive they are slightly lighter?

If the clutch is out and you have a lighter flywheel, change it.

Honda did it.

If you're interested in pub talk too, it will slightly improve the sprint time on your pre facelift EP3.

K100 and remap is on the list.
Other then that, I have rotas, carbon bonnet, quick shift. Eibachs etc. so just handling upgrades and weight saving etc.
I just though whilst the gearbox is off a might aswell stick lighter fly wheel in it.
Might just put a facelift flywheel in it. I belive they are slightly lighter?

It would be an ideal time to fit a LSD too ;)

Also a baffled sump while sub frame is dropped :)

Agree LSD if you have the funds?

Your list is getting big now.

Also a baffled sump while sub frame is dropped :)

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what exactly is a baffled sump? And what benefits does it give?

And in regards to the LSD, is it a case of taking the gearbox apart? Is it a big job?

Are you planning to get your car on track?

You could fit the LSD while changing your clutch and flywheel. :D

Nope, not planning on taking it on track. I just take it 1/4 miling 5 or 6 times a year.
I've read up on baffled sumps. I see it is only really useful if your planning on tracking it. So I won't need one really.

But the LSD would be very useful, just depends on how much they cost! Maybe could get one 2nd hand fairly cheaply.

Nope, not planning on taking it on track. I just take it 1/4 miling 5 or 6 times a year.
Iv read up on baffled sumps. I see it is only really useful if your planning on tracking it. So I won't need one really.

But the LSD would be very useful, just depends on how much they cost! Maybe could get one 2nd hand fairly cheaply.

Yeah, keep an eye out on FS section, as well as in ctro.

Last edited by a moderator:
M Factory Helical LSD is £525 new, worthwhile investment especially if you are changing the clutch & flywheel

I would go for the Exedy Stage 1 clutch if your doing 1/4 mile drags although the OEM Exedy will handle it.
You can spend thousands on the gearbox if you want to but it all depends what your using the car for/what you need

Often people will change the clutch for a Stage 1/2, change the flywheel for a lightened version, Fit a LSD, change the final drive and maybe even fit carbon lined synchro's :cool: all depends on budget really pal

If I was you I would probably just buy a new clutch and look for a facelift flywheel (its lighter than the pre-facelift)

M Factory Helical LSD is £525 new, worthwhile investment especially if you are changing the clutch & flywheel

I would go for the Exedy Stage 1 clutch if your doing 1/4 mile drags although the OEM Exedy will handle it.
You can spend thousands on the gearbox if you want to but it all depends what your using the car for/what you need

Often people will change the clutch for a Stage 1/2, change the flywheel for a lightened version, Fit a LSD, change the final drive and maybe even fit carbon lined synchro's :cool: all depends on budget really pal

If I was you I would probably just buy a new clutch and look for a facelift flywheel (its lighter than the pre-facelift)

My budget isn't massive. So will probably give it a miss on buying a brand new LSD.
Will see if one comes up cheap in the mean time.

Think I'm just gonna put a standard clutch in it, I believe there fine upto 300bhp anyway?
And then buy a facelift flywheel. Might make a small difference on acceleration which will reflect in my 1/4 mile time.
My p.b is 14.65. So might cut it down to 14.5 if I'm lucky :)

I'm not a member of ctro.
Tried to sign up but administrators never accepted me for some reason!

Back