• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Need urgent help / advice - petrol cap release!

Hey Guys,

I've got a bit of a problem - stopped into the petrol station today and pulled the petrol cap release on my EP3 and I heard a bit of a noise and it's gone all slack! Couldn't get it open.

I've previously had it sticking before, but fixed that a good year ago - this is different as it feels all loose. I'm assuming that I can get into either end and see if I can fix whatever has come loose but I can't seem to find out how!

I've got into the boot and removed the light cover and you can see the rear of the cap with a wire going into it, when jiggled you can see the outside of the cap jiggling too.

My Grandad passed away this morning and it's driving me crazy being stuck when I'm supposed to be going to see people etc :/

Hope someone can help,

Your nearly there.

Inside the boot there is a cover on the RHS. Remove the cover and you can see the cable and the plunger/catch. Twist the plug arrangement (like a bayonet light bulb) and remove. This then means there is nothing holding the fuel cap in place, and it can be swung open.

You will have to reverse the procedure to secure the cap when it is closed.

I think the cable I was wiggling is the one you say I can remove, ill try it now and see if it works. Thanks for the fast response

Worked a treat, thanks Paul. Once I got it open I did some tests, seems the lever is still operating the release just not 100%. I'm guessing I can tighten it somewhere??

I gently bent the metal inside the cap so that it didn't go so far over the release and it's done the trick for now!

Back