• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New 2017 Honda Civic Type R is taking shape

Not sure what to make of that, Honda have always been a little 'out there' in regards to styling, I wouldn't want them to go boring and bland.

I much prefer that to the current model. Still though, it's going to be massive if it's really that much bigger, my civic is already a PITA to park.

130mm longer by all accounts.

I'm not sure. Unless it is 4wd I'll be sticking with mine.

Matt Neil has mentioned in an interview or two that the next BTCC Civic could be RWD because there will be a Civic road car that is AWD and the rules would therefore allow them to run a RWD setup, though he neglected to say which road car.

Honda have said it will be FWD, unless they have a rethink with the new arms race that is going on. The next Megane is going to be 4wd and 5 door I've read on the rumour pages, so if Honda don't move with the crowd they could be seen to be being left behind again. Think FN2 and its rivals power outputs at the time, and you'll be at the 10th Gen vs Ford/Renault/Merc/VW/Audi/BMW (X-drive on the M140i).

4WD could take away some of the fun of what a Type R is about, but two things stick out. Like you say, FWD and that power seems just silly, and the second is we all said that turbo will kill the fun and it works just fine IMHO.

Not sure about all the red lines but I prefer it to the FK2. It's not so in your face.

The 1.5 turbo petrol is going to have around 180bhp which will be nice.
1.0 turbo around 127bhp

And the diesel is getting uprated to around 150bhp

All round win for the new Civic.
Just be nice to have a look round it in the flesh.
Be getting one in Feb so looking forward to the release event.

Type R version looks grown up.

When is the new shape Civic out? I saw a load of Civic's on a car transporter this morning but they didn't look like the current model.

How do you think the new one will affect the pirce/ popularity of the fk2?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

When is the new shape Civic out? I saw a load of Civic's on a car transporter this morning but they didn't look like the current model.

Early 2017 for the 10th Gen with the CTR to follow soon after. The UK seem to be the last place to be getting the 10th Gen, pics are already doing the rounds of un-camouflaged hatchbacks. The perils of a global car being once the pics are out, who is going to buy the outgoing model...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-honda-civic-spotted-undisguised-uk

civic3.jpg

civic3_0.jpg

How do you think the new one will affect the pirce/ popularity of the fk2?

I don't know. There will be a lot more of the 10th Gen car around as it is a global car sold across multiple markets. They've not said whether it will be limited numbers like the 9th Gen cars yet though.

It also remains to be seen whether they iron out some of the niggles with the 9th gen car with the new one and whether they change the Honda performance game again with it or just do another EP3 to FN2 shift and don't really improve the mechanicals.

I think that's what I saw. Kind of like a CR-Z at the back but definitely had the Civic badge on it.

Pretty suspect IMO. 340hp FWD? That design is mad as well. It's half way to being an Accord at that scale. I have a natural fondness for anything Honda when I see it on the road, but I think this has got some ways to go before it sees any public appeal.

Also, this surely makes the FK2 a rare midpoint in the Type R history. I wonder if that will bolster its values in future. Last of the 'old shape', first of the 'new engine'...

Aye sort of like the widetrack blobeye Scoobies that still had the reliable forged 2.0. Who knows.

The 10th Gen certainly does look big, but it might just be a paper thing and look completely different in the metal. By all accounts it is only 150 mm longer.

It reminds me of the Hyundai Velostar. But I dont want a tuned down visually Type R.

Sent from my SM-G130HN using Tapatalk

Demos of the new shape Civic will be at UK dealerships in Feb ready for March '17 plate sales.
Petrol 1.0 turbo and the 1.5 turbo to begin with

Back