• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New cat back exhaust system or unsilenced B-Pipe?

Currently have on my EP3 the OEM back box and a sportex unsilenced b-pipe. Would a cat back exhaust system, for example, DC Sports, HKS Hi Power, TODA etc be a better setup than what I currently have or not a lot of difference? If better, in what way, gains or just quality?

The car will have a K100 remap done as the last thing to be be done to it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You get some good gains with catbacks but the bpipe is the most restrictive bit. If you're looking for more power why not go for a 4 2 1 manifold and es mounts and keep the rest what you have then get the k100 then you should get really good gains from that.

You get some good gains with catbacks but the bpipe is the most restrictive bit. If you're looking for more power why not go for a 4 2 1 manifold and es mounts and keep the rest what you have then get the k100 then you should get really good gains from that.

Hey thanks. I'm not after massive gains so I was not going to go for a manifold. I was just wondering if a whole catback system would give more gains over basically my current unsilenced b-pipe. Budget is limited so happy to keep my current b-pipe but could afford a new catback system is this would be a better option.

It probably would be better with a catback but i don't see it making massive gains compared to what you have just now. If you're on a budget though you could get a japspeed manifold for probably less than some of the catbacks you mentioned. i got one for £220 and es mounts for £30 all new. it just down to what you want though lol.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah it does. i suppose its a bit of a pain if you don't know your mot guy lol.

Worth the gains for the money though specially if you're mapping it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. Am I right in that changing the manifold means you have the cat removed?
Not necessarily, Japspeed also do a 4 into 2 and a 4 into 1 manifold and then you could mount a downpipe and sports cat. It's the race manifold where you have to remove the cat. Look at their site: http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Honda-Civic-EP3-TypeR/c-21-5-1/

I've been considering this too and like you don't want a lot of noise so e-mailed them and they said they provide good gains and are not very loud when used with a standard exhaust system. How loud they would be with an aftermarket catback I don't know.

Theres allways that option aswell.

I have a 4 2 1 raceheader and a spoon bpipe with standard backbox and it really isn't loud and am fussy with it being too loud.

Sent from my iPhone

That's what I'm planning on in time don't know if it any difference between the two. I think the race header and decat would give you optimal gains though. I'm interested in your set up as you say it's not loud.

I use to have piper catback with the manifold and it was too loud for me so thats why i went with spoon bpipe and and standard backbox also got aem cai and kpro and RBC and got 245.5bhp with that.

Sent from my iPhone

That is a good gain can't wait to get the funds, I plan on changing the suspension first though so got some saving :lol:

Thanks guys. I don't want loud as I use mine for trackdays.

I see there are a lot of manifolds available, Buddy Club, DC Sports, Tegiwa, Japspeed etc. are they much of a muchness or are some better than others?

I think japspeed are the lower budget option but does a job and from what i hear they are good value for money.

Not sure on other ones but i know piper ones are lifetime guarantee etc.

Sent from my iPhone

It's my understanding that the b-pipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust, with the manifold second, the backbox isn't really a problem unless you're running forced induction. Personally, I'm aiming for a aftermarket manifold, b-pipe and sports cat, to keep it all legal and at a sensible volume. The standard backbox is a pretty effective silencer, and while I like the look of japcans, I don't think I could live with the volume of a mani, b-pipe and box combo. It's a trade off between large changes in volume, and small changes in power.

Back